Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 06:08 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,394,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I agree. These categories are all culturally created divisions.
*biologically
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 07:02 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Correct, there is a lot of variation by region of Latin America, but DNA studies show the average Mexican is 60% European heritage and 35% Native American. In Northern Mexico there is a higher percentage European DNA markers and in the Yucatan there is a higher percentage Native American. Central Americans have more Native American background. The reason many of these mixed race people identify European as their ancestry is because in the past being 'white' was more prestigious than being an "Indio," so people emphasized their European ancestry and hid their Native American heritage.
Huh? These numbers are nothing like the studies I have seen, which have all pegged the average Mexican (and Mexican American) at around 50% Indigenous, 45% European, and 5% African.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:29 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,972,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Huh? These numbers are nothing like the studies I have seen, which have all pegged the average Mexican (and Mexican American) at around 50% Indigenous, 45% European, and 5% African.
Sorry, the genetic marker percentages I gave are for Mexican mestizos, which is 60-65% of the Mexican population. Interestingly, when they look at paternal heritage (Y chromosome) 65% have European markers, but when you look at maternal heritage (mitochondrial DNA), 85% have Native American markers. That probably reflects that a lot more males from Europe immigrated to Mexico than females, and there was a lot of intermarriage with the Native Americans that lived there.

I think your numbers are when you include mestizos and people who are primarily of European descent or of Native American descent.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:35 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,885,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
It's the US Government and the media enabling the tension. That's what they do - keep the division among the races going.
Agreed. It's a multi-billion dollar industry. With that kind of money at stake, there will always be a racial problem in this country.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:15 PM

184 posts, read 235,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slawson1977 View Post
Seattle4321 Where did I hear that from? OMG. A. I am a white hispanic caucasion guy as my grandpa came over here from Spain. Logic does not dictate facts lol Hispanic can be white,black,or oriental or mixed with all. The majority of hispanics/latino in the US claim white. Just because you only see the stereotype does not mean its fact or logic.lol

In the 2010 United States Census, 50.5 million Americans (16.3% of the total population) listed themselves as ethnically Hispanic or Latino. Of those, 53.0% (26.7 million) self-identified as racially white. The remaining respondents listed their races as: some other race 36.7%, two or more races (multiracial) 6.0%, Black or African American 2.5%, American Indian and Alaska Native 1.4%, Asian 0.4%, and Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander 0.1%.[1]

The respondents in the "some other race" category are reclassified as white by the Census Bureau in its official estimates of race. This means that more than 90% of all Hispanic or Latino Americans are counted as "white" in some statistics of the US government.[8]

Hispanics and Latinos who are native-born and those who are immigrant identify as White in nearly identical percentages: 53.9 and 53.7, respectively, per figures from 2007. The overall Hispanic or Latino ratio was 53.8%.[9]

White Hispanics are widespread, with Florida and Texas being 2 states with some of the highest percentages of Hispanics self identifying as white.[10]
Most Hispanics in the US are NOT white tho. There's a difference between self-identifying as "white" and actually being physically racially and genetically white. Yea about 50% self identify as white, but only about 25% of Hispanics are actually white. Most Hispanics are actually racially mixed.

Mexican Americans:
50% of them are mixed Mestizo (White & Native)
30% are Native (Aztec)
20% are white (Central Spain)
Central American groups like Guatemalan Americans and Salvadoran Americans very similar to Mexican Americans racially and culturally.

Caribbean Hispanics, particularly Dominicans and Puerto Ricans are more African descended.
Dominican Americans:
55% of them are mixed Mulatto (white and black)
30% are black (West Africa fon yoruba and Kongo)
15% are white (southern Spain)
While the DNA of the average Dominican person is about 47% European, 44% African, 9% indigenous.

Puerto Ricans:
55% of them are mixed Mulatto/Tri-racial (white, black, sometimes native)
30% are white (Canary Islands and southern Spain)
15% are black (West Africa yoruba, kongo, fon, and igbo)
The DNA of the average Puerto Rican person is about 59% European, 27% African, and 14% indigenous.

Theres countless sources. You can just look at most Hispanics and tell they are heavily racially mixed. You barely need the sources.

Cuban Americans are the only MAJOR hispanic group in the US to be majority white, despite Cuba itself having a large mulatto population, which has to do with the overall social atmosphere of the country. Smaller Hispanic populations in the US who are probably even more white likely come from Spain and Argentina.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Sorry, the genetic marker percentages I gave are for Mexican mestizos, which is 60-65% of the Mexican population. Interestingly, when they look at paternal heritage (Y chromosome) 65% have European markers, but when you look at maternal heritage (mitochondrial DNA), 85% have Native American markers. That probably reflects that a lot more males from Europe immigrated to Mexico than females, and there was a lot of intermarriage with the Native Americans that lived there.

I think your numbers are when you include mestizos and people who are primarily of European descent or of Native American descent.
Here's a couple academic papers.

2011 study - Looked at 492 people from Mexico City. Proportions were 65% indigenous, 31% European, 3% African. Also mentions that an earlier sampling of 42 Mexican Americans from LA found 45% indigenous, 49% European, and 5% African. Difference seems to be because a lot of entirely/mostly indigenous people from Southern Mexico migrated to Mexico City in the 20th century.

2011 study in San Antonio: Looked at 586 men. Found 50% European, 46% Native American, 3% African.

2007 study of Latinos: Mexicans came in at 52% European, 45% Native American, 4% African.

2014 "study of studies:" There have been 19 different estimates. Averages have been 51%-56% Amerindian, 40%-45% European, and 2%-5% African.

Basically, results differ, but I haven't seen any saying Mexicans are 60% European. Was this a 23andme study? It could have been self-selection in that case, since whiter Mexicans are generally of higher socio-economic status, and more likely to be able to afford genetic testing. I know that 23andme came up with a significantly higher European percentage in African Americans than other studies, for similar reasons.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLoFan View Post
Cuban Americans are the only MAJOR hispanic group in the US to be majority white, despite Cuba itself having a large mulatto population, which has to do with the overall social atmosphere of the country. Smaller Hispanic populations in the US who are probably even more white likely come from Spain and Argentina.
If you're going by continental ancestry, Puerto Ricans are mostly white. Genetic studies suggest in terms of continental ancestry they're somewhere in the range of 60%-70% white, 20%-30% African, and around 15% Native American. Certainly they have more European ancestry than Mexicans do.

Of course, because of the U.S.'s historic "one-droppism" black ancestry tends to stand out a lot more than Native American ancestry. For example, Dominicans generally have a bit more European than African ancestry (high 40s for European, low 40s for African) but are told they are black in this country.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:04 PM

431 posts, read 521,618 times
Quote:
If you're going by continental ancestry, Puerto Ricans are mostly white. Genetic studies suggest in terms of continental ancestry they're somewhere in the range of 60%-70% white, 20%-30% African, and around 15% Native American. Certainly they have more European ancestry than Mexicans do.

Of course, because of the U.S.'s historic "one-droppism" black ancestry tends to stand out a lot more than Native American ancestry. For example, Dominicans generally have a bit more European than African ancestry (high 40s for European, low 40s for African) but are told they are black in this country.
Americans have a really weird view on race. If someone is 1/4th black and 3/4ths white with white features they are considered black here. If that same person was in Puerto Rico they would not be considered black, and would most likely be considered white. Over 41 percent of Puerto Ricans have significant amounts of west African ancestry. I can guarantee you that those who identify as "white" in Puerto rico would not be considered white anywhere in the US, because as I said our definition/standard of what a white person is is pretty backwards.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:09 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,034 times
I hate these kinds of threads.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:09 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,972,068 times
Quote:
Basically, results differ, but I haven't seen any saying Mexicans are 60% European. Was this a 23andme study? It could have been self-selection in that case, since whiter Mexicans are generally of higher socio-economic status, and more likely to be able to afford genetic testing. I know that 23andme came up with a significantly higher European percentage in African Americans than other studies, for similar reasons.
"Admixture and population structure in Mexican-Mestizos based on paternal lineages -". J. Hum. Genet. Journal of Human Genetics. 57: 568–74. 2012. doi:10.1038/jhg.2012.67. PMID 22832385. In the total population sample, paternal ancestry was predominately European (64.9%), followed by Native American (30.8%) and African (4.2%)."

This is paternal lineage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.