Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 11:50 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times

Advertisements

I'd say south of the 40th parallel in general, unless there's high elevation. However, I'd classify only the desert Southwest and the deep South as "awful" in summer temperatures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 12:39 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
that's impossible though because humidity doesn't raise the heat index on a day below 80F. You're either feeling the sun, heat is trapped in the house (which is why you AC during the day), or you have way too many layers on or insist on sleeping with a lot of comforters.

put it this way, all humidity means is that there is a lot of water vapor in the air. try walking into 75F water and see how it feels (you'll find it cold right away and you'll get hypothermic within about 6 hours).

but layers are often the problem. most people i know who refrigerate their house, sleep with a ton of blankets. i think people like the sensation of 'snuggling.' if you were to walk outside in a 75F 100% humidity NIGHT (no sun) you'd be cold very fast without any clothing.
I used to leave for work just before sunrise in TN, and whenever it was over 70 and humid (and it would always be extremely humid when the morning temp was that high) it would feel awful to me. When the sun started coming up naturally it became significantly worse. But yes, a humid 75F feels nasty to me even at night. And wearing layers wasn't an issue for me, because I was always only one layer away from naked, whether sleeping at home or leaving for work.

BTW, when I lived in TN I'd sleep with only a thin sheet all through summer, and wear only shorts to sleep. This was with the AC set to 74 and a fan blowing directly at me all night. That was generally fairly comfortable for me, as long as I didn't take too warm a shower before bed. Starting in spring I'd begin taking cool showers, and as I gradually became somewhat acclimated to the heat (as much as I could, anyway), my showers would grow slightly warmer. But there was a fine line, because if the water was too warm I'd sweat after the shower and it would take me forever to cool back down, which also meant I couldn't fall asleep.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:08 AM

18 posts, read 21,501 times
Anything over 90 degrees is too hot and I stay inside. Anything lower than 20 degrees is told cold and I stay inside.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:59 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I used to leave for work just before sunrise in TN, and whenever it was over 70 and humid (and it would always be extremely humid when the morning temp was that high) it would feel awful to me. When the sun started coming up naturally it became significantly worse. But yes, a humid 75F feels nasty to me even at night. And wearing layers wasn't an issue for me, because I was always only one layer away from naked, whether sleeping at home or leaving for work.

BTW, when I lived in TN I'd sleep with only a thin sheet all through summer, and wear only shorts to sleep. This was with the AC set to 74 and a fan blowing directly at me all night. That was generally fairly comfortable for me, as long as I didn't take too warm a shower before bed. Starting in spring I'd begin taking cool showers, and as I gradually became somewhat acclimated to the heat (as much as I could, anyway), my showers would grow slightly warmer. But there was a fine line, because if the water was too warm I'd sweat after the shower and it would take me forever to cool back down, which also meant I couldn't fall asleep.
in a lot of heat, i always sleep basically in boxers without any sheet or blanket.

back in miami, the girl i told you about who refrigerated her place, slept with full comforters. sleeping at her place was difficult because under the covers (and feeling her body heat) it was too hot for me even with the AC blasting to what it was (but it'd still give me a headache) but tossing off the sheets made it too cold. I was lol in a catch 22.

at my place, she always ended up complaining about the temp. at night it was too warm, but in the morning she was genuinely cold and the temps in miami sometimes don't even break 80 by morning. what works is air circulation. there is nothing warm about 70s, afterall your body wants to be at 98F. but your body is constantly giving off heat and warms up the air around you. if there is no air circulation, you end up being in a warm air bubble but if air is circulating 80s (and humid) feels cold because that warm air is replaced by cooler 80F air and your body easily gives away its heat.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:43 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post

Sleep nude without any sheets and you'll be cool I guarantee.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepastorsson View Post
I'm fair skinned and grew up in the Mojave desert in California. I HATE to be hot! Also lived in south Texas...ugh. Never again. Also lived in Tulsa, and those summers were too hot too!

Now I live in Michigan....ah, yes. The winters are too cold in January and February to be sure, and spring is a sad joke. But the trade off is beautiful, spectacular summers! A few weeks that are too hot, but some summers only have a few DAYS like that, and even when we do have hot spells, I know from experience that they are NOTHING like the south. For which I'm thankful.
Being born and raised in Michigan, I can appreciate what you have said. The summers are indeed beautiful! Been in Atlanta, GA my adult life....but the heat seems tougher to take every year. Hoping to get back to the Great Lakes and see more snow and beautiful summer and all the lakes!

Old 04-10-2013, 03:55 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Well, it's only early mid April and Philly is hotter today than Miami. I guess the reward for suffering the never ending Winter is an early Spring heat wave?

Old 04-11-2013, 07:59 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,626,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
You need a lesson in physiology sir. Dry heat is almost universally preferred because your body can sweat and the air can evaporate it, since the air is not saturated. When the humidity is extremely high, the air is already saturated and cannot evaporate the moisture from your body so you just stay sweaty and your body cannot naturally cool itself, which is naturally uncomfortable for most, thus the mantra "at least it's a dry heat". Although it is often subjective.

Personally, I prefer temps below the low-90s, and moderate to lower humidity. I don't love Austin summers but I tolerate them. I don't think I could handle the heat of the Southwest. Some people have said they prefer temps no higher than mid-70s- wow! It must be tough living in the U.S. with that preference...very limited selection of places to live.
I'm another one of those that can't handle temps higher than the mid 70's. I was miserable most of my life living in the central Plains where it was so hot and humid all summer long, but I have found my weather paradise- the Pacific Northwest. Even in July and August we are generally only in the 60's or 70's unless a short lived heat wave brings us into the 80's for a few days. Perfect for me, and the rest of the year is mildly cool, but not too cold.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:00 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Texas, lol. I hate the heat.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:00 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Sleep nude without any sheets and you'll be cool I guarantee.
Doesn't work for all of us....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.