Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 01:06 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,308 times

Advertisements

Yeah yeah...but LA is not the same caliber as New York & Chicago when it comes to business and finance.

Talking about the best trading cities, Chicago is ranked #1 in the world by Trader Monthly. LA is at #8.

Trader Daily § Best Cities for Traders (http://www.traderdaily.com/forums/15/index.html - broken link)

Chicago
And the winner is...Chicago! Trader Monthly ranks Chicago as the #1 city in the world for traders, scoring very well in taxes and trading infrastructure, with very high scores across the board.
Posted by trader on Jun 7 2007 @ 9:30 AM
> read more

London, UK
Trader Monthly ranks London in the Top Ten as the #2 city in the world for traders, scoring well in taxes and trading infrastructure, with high scores in most other categories.
Posted by trader on Jun 7 2007 @ 9:29 AM
> read more

New York
Trader Monthly ranks New York in the Top Ten as the #3 city in the world for traders, scoring well in trading infrastructure, nightlife and entertainment, with high scores in most other categories.
Posted by trader on Jun 7 2007 @ 9:28 AM
> read more

Dubai, UAE
Trader Monthly ranks Dubai in the Top Ten as the #4 city in the world for traders, scoring very well in taxes and trading infrastructure, with high scores in all other categories.
Posted by trader on Jun 7 2007 @ 9:27 AM
> read more

Miami, FL

Trader Monthly ranks Miami in the Top Ten as the #5 city in the world for traders, scoring very well in taxes with high scores in all other categories.
Posted by trader on Jun 7 2007 @ 9:26 AM
> read more

Boston, MA
Trader Monthly ranks Boston in the Top Ten as the #6 city in the world for traders, scoring well in taxes and trading infrastructure and quite well in all other categories.
Posted by trader on Jun 7 2007 @ 9:25 AM
> read more

Dublin, Ireland
Trader Monthly ranks Dublin in the Top Ten as the #7 city in the world for traders, scoring well in taxes and trading infrastructure and quite well in most other categories.
Posted by trader on Jun 7 2007 @ 9:24 AM
> read more

Los Angeles, CA
Trader Monthly ranks Los Angeles in the Top Ten as the #8 city in the world for traders, scoring well in taxes, trading infrastructure, nightlife and entertainment, and quite well in most other categories.
Posted by trader on Jun 7 2007 @ 9:23 AM
> read more

QUOTE=milquetoast;1590892]Hmmm.. let's see.. International trade activity built to record levels in 2007 despite slower growth in the U.S. economy-International trade trends and impacts- World Trade Center Association....Due to favorable conditions with the region's trade partners and the weak dollar, exports rose for the region by 15% and the 2-way total value ranked first in the nation with a 12% increase to 375 billion ( L. A. Customs District )...17.2 million TEU's ( twenty foot equivilent container units ) handled in 2007 for an easy and runaway #1 ranking in the country... Ranked 5th in the world ( LA/LB ) behind Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Shenzen.... area gained 35,000 jobs last year for total worker count of 485,100.... number 1 export, not movies or general entertainment but electrical apparatus! Not a global player? Downer, we're a PLAYAH!! Don't be a hatah! (how do you spell these?) Be careful what you put in boldface, Downy! ( keep in mind, that's just 'trade' ) [/quote]

Old 09-27-2007, 02:45 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,206,802 times
This is cute! I'm talking trade, and you're talking trading. I'm talking goods and services and you're talking stocks and bonds. Maybe you're wondering who has a friendlier trading/business climate. That's the only way Chicago would rank higher than New York. More moves through London right now than anywhere. L. A.'s a top shipper. NY and Chicago are stock tickers.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:21 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,023,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Whatever. If you want to argue irrelevant minutia, do it with someone else. It doesn't change the premise of my original point.
Not interested in irrelevant minutia either. Just thought a correction was needed.

California is the agricultural leader. Not the Midwest. That's all.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:24 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Not interested in irrelevant minutia either. Just thought a correction was needed.

California is the agricultural leader. Not the Midwest. That's all.
Oh my God, would you go away?

It's like swatting at gnats around here sometimes.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:40 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,023,894 times
Quote:

Wow. What was so offensive about my post? And all this time I was thinking you were one of the nicer and more reasonably minded Chicagoans on here....

Why do you keep replying to my posts if you are not interested in arguing?

Old 09-27-2007, 11:10 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:

I was thinking more along the lines of fleas. Theyre just as annoying as gnats, but harder to get rid of.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:41 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,892 times
I'd second the post that says the most significant are: NY, DC, and LA.
Chicago, the SF Bay Area and Boston likely are the next tier.
Population isn't everything. Culture, academia, finance, etc. are also important. I'd rate the Dallas metroplex above Houston anyway (it is more populous).

Old 09-27-2007, 12:24 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,308 times
America's cities in terms of importance

Business&Finance, global influence: New York, Chicago
Media: New York, LA, D.C
Technology: San Francisco, Boston

Old 09-27-2007, 01:00 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
I think their roles will diminish as other cities grow in influence.

How "important" will NY and LA be once the Metro Areas of Chicago(almost there), DC, SF, Dallas, Houston and Atlanta all surpass the 10M mark in population?

My guess is not as much.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:05 PM

699 posts, read 2,235,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
America's cities in terms of importance

Business&Finance, global influence: New York, Chicago
Media: New York, LA, D.C
Technology: San Francisco, Boston
Military: DC
Domestic and International policymaking that governs Business, Finance, Media, and Technology: DC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.