Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 09:41 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renner20 View Post
Sorry. Didn't know this was a communist world. Yes master we shall do what you tell us is best. I'm sorry to ask but do you know any other insult than "you're ignorant?" Also, a grammar class or two wouldn't hurt you.

This country was created to be different than others. To allow the people of the country to decide what THEY felt was better for them and not what was better for the rest of the world.

Also, with your assumption that since it's easier then everyone should learn it. Why isn't every country speaking the same language. I saw where you said to someone that isn't the same thing. But in a way it kinda is. Some languages are actually easier to learn. So does that make the whole world ignorant because every country isn't willing to accept change to their language because they like sticking with what they know.

Lastly, are you American? Whether you are or not, you sure do not know much about American education. In American education, the metric system is introduced to children at a young age and taught it all the way through college. So saying that most Americans don't know the metric system is, in your own words, "ignorant."
Yes, every country in the world, except, America, Liberia, and Myanmar is communist. Actually I think Myanmar is communist. Im not using ignorant as an insult, but as a explanation to the OP. As we can see it is a very accurate in explaining America's attitude towards the metric system.

For the language it is different. Very different. The metric system, and the American one, work with any language. Also, I am not sure if any language is clearly superior to every other language like the Metric system is to the American one. Finally, English is being used as a universal language. There are countries in Europe where almost everyone can speak English, and in certain areas you will hear more english than the native language. So it is possible oneday English will be the officially language of the world, although people will still probably speak other languages.

If you want to learn metric and imperial go for it. Like I said I support having both. After 2-3 decades imperial will naturally disappear though.

I am aware that some Americans know the metric system. Those in science fields make extensive use of the metric system, due to its advantages, and the military also feels it is more efficient than the imperial system. However, it is a shame that the US lets a few ignorant people hold them back, instead of letting the most productive and intelligent people lead society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Again, just no talking to some people......

P.S., you were responding to a TROLL.
Than the troll is getting his answer, and someone who is not a troll can actually learn something from reading this discussion.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:46 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,364,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post

However, you raise a valid point. Americans dont care about important issues, and cant be bothered to care. That is why this country is such a mess right now. Instead of trying to fix our problems we are too busy not caring. And people wonder why things are so bad these days. It is also a big reason why America wont learn the metric system, because they cant be bothered to care about learning a new and better system.
This country is a mess because they don't care about issues such as the metric system? Please elaborate on this point, specifically how not knowing the metric system caused our credit crisis, housing crunch, student loans/colleague costs.

I'd also like to know how unlocking the power of the metric system can help save Greece from its financial pitfalls

Old 06-25-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
This country is a mess because they don't care about issues such as the metric system? Please elaborate on this point, specifically how not knowing the metric system caused our credit crisis, housing crunch, student loans/colleague costs.

I'd also like to know how unlocking the power of the metric system can help save Greece from its financial pitfalls
America is a mess because people dont care about important issues. The lack of metric is not solely responsible for America's problems but the ignorance and apathy most Americans have toward it applies to many areas.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:07 PM

629 posts, read 771,375 times
You make alot of assumptions and sweepiong generalizations

quit while you're behind

Quote:
America is a mess because people dont care about important issues. The lack of metric is not solely responsible for America's problems but the ignorance and apathy most Americans have toward it applies to many areas.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicane View Post
You make alot of assumptions and sweepiong generalizations

quit while you're behind
Well, posters in this forum, including yourself, have proved them to be correct. Perhaps this sample is particular bad and the results are skewed heavily in my favor because of this.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:00 AM

181 posts, read 297,939 times
Metrication in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-26-2012, 12:57 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
Quote:
I don't know and I don't care!!!

Old 07-25-2012, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,060 times
The OP question was "Why dont your country use meter (metric) system?? .. Well we are..
All countries use the metric system
How do we measure electricity and electronics??.. we use metric units of measurement.
How do we measure medication of pharmasuticals and drugs?? .. we use metric units of measurement.
How do we measure our exports and imports of global trade??.. we use metric units of measurement.
There is also what has been called "hidden metrication"... Almost all goods imported into the US especially electronic goods (TVs computers Ipads Iphones ect) are designed and manfactured to mertic measures. It has been estimated that about 60% if US industry and manfacturing are now designed and manfactured using metric measures. The auto industry (Ford GM and Chrysler) went metric in the 1980s.
So the advancement of metrication is occuring in the US as it is in many other countries worldwide.
But I think your question relates to the measures that we use in our day to day lives. That is US Customary measures. ..Why dont we use the metric system?? Well..

There are a number of reasons
A perception that US Customary measures, have served us well, why change, and that the US was developed and built with inches, feet, yards, and miles etc.
A perception that the US is world leader and that any foreign system must be inferior.
A mindset that has been educated from a young age in US Customary measures is difficult to unlearn and learn metric measures. Messy conversions become the norm because of referring metric back to US Customary.
Many are unfamiliar with metric measures and see no advantage in changing.
Many fear change.

Benjamin Franklin, and Thomas Jefferson were supporters of the metric system and although their proposals for the US to adopt the metric system failed the advancement of metric measures worldwide continues. About 170 countries have officially adopted the metric system.

Last edited by W J G; 07-25-2012 at 08:56 AM..

Old 07-25-2012, 04:29 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeutchBoy View Post
Hello all American brothers and sisters,

I am new member from Germany in Europe and I have been to your country few times and I love it very much. I wish one day I will move to America and live there because I love your country and the lifestyle. But I don't like one thing about your country was the miles, yard, feet and fahrenheit system you use. Why don't you use the meter system like rest of the world? It would be much easier and better.

Thank you very much.
Metrication in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.