Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 12:18 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times

Advertisements

Does Vermont even have any inner cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 06:04 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I did not say that there were toddlers in center city(?!) I was saying that there are already families in the surrounding neighborhoods mostly with children aged 9-teens(what happens before and after don't ask me),that are crammed into these tight city blocks. I keep saying that once people can afford to have a family and do not need to work in the city,to just progress into the suburbs or outlying areas where there is more room to raise a normal family and not end up with kids with unhealthy socialization and thus end up with criminals,drug dealers etc.
If kids in Center City Phila. are running around aimlessly, do you honestly think that by moving out the Mainline that they are going to become choir boys? If a kid associates with a criminal, they will do it wherever they happen to live. The city didn't do that to them. Also, if you can afford to live in the city with children, you probably aren't saving money to move to the suburbs. If you are talking about North Phila. we're thinking about two different things.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
If kids in Center City Phila. are running around aimlessly, do you honestly think that by moving out the Mainline that they are going to become choir boys?
Again I was not talking about kids in center city,the kids are not in center city! They are everywhere but. Center city is for the working yuppies and the homeless. You were close when you mentioned north Phila.
As far as the mainline,that's actually probably as close as you will get to 'choir boys' around here. The mainline is mostly families from 'old money' which means the kids tend to be more 'sheltered' from the rest of the world if they would like. Sadly though it's more like a 'Beverly Hills' where they're not subject to everyday lowlife crime,but drugs infiltrate every culture.

Quote:
If a kid associates with a criminal, they will do it wherever they happen to live. The city didn't do that to them.
Well the odds are higher they will encounter more criminals in the city,no doubt about that!

Old 10-03-2007, 10:09 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,693 times
I didn't mean to get on your case. We were obviously thinking two things. Kids will see more criminals in the city, but living in isolated suburbs, they will more likely begin drinking, smoking, et. cetera when they get to be teens. People just prefer to not talk about the latter. I find that kinda curious.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
I didn't mean to get on your case. We were obviously thinking two things. Kids will see more criminals in the city, but living in isolated suburbs, they will more likely begin drinking, smoking, et. cetera when they get to be teens. People just prefer to not talk about the latter. I find that kinda curious.
I'm not sure teens are any more likely to do the above in the suburbs than in the cities. I could probably find some research to back up my statement, but I'm too tired to do it right now.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Kids will see more criminals in the city, but living in isolated suburbs, they will more likely begin drinking, smoking, et. cetera when they get to be teens. People just prefer to not talk about the latter. I find that kinda curious.
Kids will probably pick up drinking and/or smoking wherever they are(unless they're Amish or similar). But kids that pick up being criminals/drug dealers are less common(although nowadays who knows).

Old 10-04-2007, 03:56 PM

430 posts, read 1,393,842 times
Quote:
Does Vermont even have any inner cities?
Vermont has a couple of small cities whith a few poor neighborhoods that are mainly white. Most would hardly call them inner cities. But I don't think the term "inner city" is even a good name to use. It is too subjective and tends to bring our bias. I would say just use the term urban slum (which can be a non poor working class neigborhood not uncommonly) or just a low income or poor neigborhood (which doesn't have to be a slum at all).

A lot of small to mid-size metro areas have mostly white, as well as non white and mixed areas, that would qualify as urban slums. Areas like that that are mostly white are much less common (though by no means unknown) in larger metro areas (1 million+ population) except for parts of the rust belt. some are really bad in fact, -but you don't hear about them much outside of the immediate area. -Emil.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Kids will probably pick up drinking and/or smoking wherever they are(unless they're Amish or similar). But kids that pick up being criminals/drug dealers are less common(although nowadays who knows).
A lot will, most will not (statistically). Poor kids even in non poor areas as well as those from less educated backgrounds will be far more likely to not be successful or to wind up in trouble with the law. But there will also be a lot of both upward and downward mobility as well. Some will successful and law abiding, and some will fail and go to prison. but others will succeed greatly but get involved with white collar crime or worse, and others will not do well economically or in education, -but will still be respectable though struggling members of the working class, and still others will end up as bums. But most bums are actualy large peaceful people, even if often a nuisance.

The point is, that while the relative likelihood of verious outcomes will very greatly among diferant segments of the population, you will still find those who go in all types of directions throughout the population. human nature there, for both good and ill. -Emil.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I'm not sure teens are any more likely to do the above in the suburbs than in the cities. I could probably find some research to back up my statement, but I'm too tired to do it right now.
Depends on the suburb, and the region. Most large metro areas have a wide range of different types of suburban neighborhoods and communities, including poor ones. -Suburbs these days are quite diverse, and patterns very widely across the country and between diferant metros within the same region of the country as well. There are plenty of declining working class suburbs and even full fledged ghetto suburbs now. And there has long been SOME poverty plagued or otherwise troubled suburban communities, -there's just a lot more of them now. And some rich suburbs do have serious mostly hidden social problems. It all depends.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Well, my point was that smoking and drinking are no more common in the burbs than in the city, regardless of the type of suburb or city neighborhood. I believe the statistics I saw said 80% of high school seniors have tried alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.