Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2023, 09:43 PM

113 posts, read 164,138 times

Advertisements

Lived in Texas my whole life and looking to move to the North, possibly New England area. I grew up in a city that did have a winter, and occasionally had snow, but I know it doesn't compare to a Northern winter. I really want to move somewhere with politics that more align with my own, but I won't lie, weather concerns make me nervous.

How have you found the adjustment? Is it all really just a matter of good clothing? What advice would you give to someone going from a hot state to a cold state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2023, 12:03 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,595,151 times
You'll wish you didn't have a car.

Old 03-16-2023, 06:37 AM

372 posts, read 203,197 times
Here's the thing...as a person, you will adjust. It's not like people who live in the North are made differently than those who live in a warmer climate. Our bodies don't have extra layers, unless we add layers of clothing (which we do). Because we live in a colder climate, doesn't mean we have furry bodies to protect against the cold...our bodies are just like yours. SO, when someone wonders how they will survive, you do it. Moving from the south doesn't make you less able to withstand cold any differently than someone who has lived in the cold.

AND, as you know, it's not always cold. For several months of the year, but other than that, the weather is quite lovely. You buy a heavy coat, get some boots, and drive more slowly when the roads are snow-covered. Do those things, and you'll be just fine.

Old 03-16-2023, 06:43 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,046,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
You'll wish you didn't have a car.
Especially after the structure rusts to the point where it is no longer safe to drive, long before the engine and transmission fail. We have had a few cold days with a little bit of snow. The roads are covered with a film of salt.

Old 03-16-2023, 07:14 AM

136 posts, read 116,694 times
I did this move.

Buy warm clothes, including shirts, socks, etc, not just a warm winter coat. The fanciest winter coat won’t help much if you’re otherwise wearing a worn out long-sleeved shirt and thin ankle socks.

Dress in layers.

Spend time outdoors. It may be uncomfortable at first, but it will help your body adapt (and yes, it can adapt). The cold will always feel like an obstacle if you shut yourself indoors from November to April.

Old 03-16-2023, 07:25 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,879,404 times
Full disclosure, I was born in a cold winter state (WI), moved to a slightly-less-frigid winter state (CO) when I was young, and then moved to hot, humid DFW before moving back to Colorado in 2011.

Layers are your friend, and, for me, it helps that I live in an area with plenty of sun in the winter and a dry airmass that heats up rapidly during the day. Yesterday it was 70. Today we're getting snow flurries, and it's in the 20s. It's supposed to be back in the mid 50s early next week.

Old 03-16-2023, 07:27 AM

12,814 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Thermal underwear works wonders.

Old 03-16-2023, 07:31 AM

2,850 posts, read 2,166,211 times
Get a property with a garage and put your car in the garage in winter. It takes longer to sweep snow and ice off windows.

Buy a machine that helps with shoveling snow, or just hire a service to do that.

As far as personal comfort just buy heavier coat, gloves and scarves. I don't think winters in Texas is as mild as people like to think, at least not consistently, so you already have an idea of how well you tolerate the cold. The only thing you really need to prepare for is snow. Most of southern New England aren't that cold, at least not consistently.

Old 03-16-2023, 07:46 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,071,550 times
All my southern relatives that moved north avoided this at first, but its really important. Dress properly in your own house - get used to robes, socks, slippers, and sweatpants. If used to lounging in t-shirt, shorts and barefoot get over it in cooler months, embrace wearing loose and comfortable clothes in the house. It took over a season before they stopped trying to pretend they still lived in Texas, and they were much happier after they did this. Forced-air heating systems can result in drafts and cold spots as temperatures cycle (unless you want to live in a sauna and pay $$ on heating), so dress comfortably and appropriately.

At home, open all blinds and curtains during the day. Day lengths are shorter in winter, so get as much light and sunshine into the house as you can whenever you can. And crack a window at night when you can to keep some fresh air in the house. If you are lucky you can get a house with radiators, rather than forced air, and provides a more even heat,

Purchase and wear proper coats and jackets. NOTHING you already own is proper in colder climates. You don't need to spend a lot of money, just get something thats warm for cold dry and snowy days, and something water proof for cold rainy days. It may take a season of adjusting wardrobe to find what works best for you. Don't allow yourself to feel cold when proper clothing is available - if you are cold its your own fault. Proper wear exists and it everywhere.

On the other hand don't overdress, as too warm coats can overheat you, especially if going in and out of doors. Have appropriate weights for different ranges of temperature. Sometimes too many layers is too much when you have a warm coat that can just be easily opened or flung off.

Wear hats outdoors.

Look for good gloves and boots sold in the area where you live - if need be purchase online but best to try in person to evaluate fit and style. Depending where you live you may want high boots for deep snow, low boots regular wear.

Last but not least get outdoors nearly every day in all types of weather. Embrace the climate, don't hide from it. Take up winter sports or activities, or at the very least WALK. Good boots, gloves, and hat will protect you 95% of the time. You can purchase simple cheap crampons that slip over boots for $10-$20 a pair (I never knew they existed until I got some last year and they are the greatest thing ever for walking on icy walkways).

Last edited by RocketSci; 03-16-2023 at 07:56 AM..

Old 03-16-2023, 07:56 AM

506 posts, read 342,621 times
We moved from FL to New England. This winter has been easy to handle! We've not had to shovel snow at all. If I'm cold I just bundle up more. Or take a hot shower. We walk around the neighborhood every single day. I wrap a scarf around my face if there's a cold wind. In the Canada forum I was given some sage words of wisdom: there is no bad weather, only bad clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.