Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 02:53 PM

4 posts, read 4,892 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My boyfriend and I are looking to move out of Brooklyn in a few months but have no idea where to go. He's from the midwest, I from the east coast. Neither of us are tied down to any one area and are open to anywhere in the country. We're both in our late 20's and would like to settle down and start a family in the next 5 years or so, so it's important we find a place that's good for now but also later. We'd like something that is still cool and hip but also somewhat family friendly so we don't have to move again when we start having babes.

We're not really party animals but enjoy grabbing drinks or seeing live music on Friday and Saturday nights, so we'd love somewhere with a small bar scene. He is a musician so a large music scene would be great as well. We're also into antiquing and thrifting, going to museums and art galleries, gardening, and hanging out in parks. We have a medium sized dog, so a pet friendly area is a must. We are used to walking around a lot and would love a place where there are restaurants, bars, and shops in walking distance. Basically we just want some culture as we get bored easily!

For the first year, we'd probably rent, and our budget would likely be around $1400 for a 1 bedroom, or $1600 for a 2 bedroom. Ideally, this place would have a decent public transportation system. He works for a large retail company that has stores in almost every city, and I work in an administrative position for an office, so finding work shouldn't be too much of a problem. We'll go anywhere.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 03:37 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
I wouldn't be too sure you'll find work right away... the entire country is experiencing HUGE rates of unemployment. Some places are faring better than others but to say "finding work shouldn't be too much of a problem" is not always accurate. Just don't get your hopes up.

With that said, you would probably like Long Beach, Long Island. The only downfall is lack of public transportation but that's with anywhere on Long Island. The reason I suggest Long Beach is b/c it has a good bar scene and it's only an hour from NYC which has an even bigger bar scene and a humongous music scene. As you live in BK now, you probably know that already. Long Beach is huge on dogs... no one picks up after their dogs but that's another story... but everyone is super friendly and literally everyone has a dog. I'm known as "the lady without the dog" if that tells you anything, lol.

Not too many parks around but there IS a beach and Nassau County has a lot of state parks. You do need a car however to live on LI and parking in Long Beach is exceptionally tough. Also check out Rockville Centre.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:48 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times
Los Angeles comes to mind. Seems like it meets your requirements might be a cool place for you guys to start new again. I know that the area is very in tune with art and all that.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:05 PM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Something in between could be Kenmore, just outside of Buffalo. It was recently rated as one of the best neighborhoods by the APA and is a straight shot from this neighborhood:
Elmwood Village - Buffalo New York - YouTube

The Elmwood Village Association

Buffalo Neighborhoods Map - University at Buffalo Libraries

Welcome to the Village of Kenmore

Kenmore is in the Kenmore-Tonawanda Union Free SD, which is a solid district. It is a very dense village too. Just south of there is North Buffalo, which may also work. Kenmore Town of Tonawanda UFSD

Hertel-North Buffalo Business Association, Inc.

Allentown is another funky neighborhood too: Allentown Association

Can't forget Parkside: Parkside Community Association |

Buffalo Apartments for Rent | Buffalo NY Apartment Finder

Artvoice: Buffalo's #1 Newsweekly

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-25-2012 at 05:39 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 05:28 PM

370 posts, read 654,360 times
Do it. Brooklyn is funky and fun. I loved it there.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:37 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloimage View Post
Do it. Brooklyn is funky and fun. I loved it there.
Um, they're looking to move out of Brooklyn.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:43 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Indianapolis i would recommend.
Huge population of young generation people that live in the city.
The top 2 demographic groups in Indy are the Baby Boomers and the Young Generation.
2nd its only a 1.5 hour drive from Cincy and a 3 hour drive to Chicago. So if you need a weekend getaway to the nations 3rd largest city thats very easy to do.
Plus it has the nations most affordable housing market and lowest cost of living.
Also its the fastest growing city/metro in the midwest and has the strongest economy in the midwest aside from Minneapolis.
Indiana also has a balanced budget with 1% capped property taxes and a 3.4% flat rate income tax and 7% sales.
Also Indy is a very clean green city with one of the largest urban parks in the US. Eagle Creek and White River State park. Plenty of new trails are being built around the city for hiking and biking.
Indianapolis also has a strong nightlife scene and all the amendities are packed into downtown Indy. makes for an easy walk to everything and you dont have to take mass transit to reach every amendity. As the media said during Super Bowl 46 they liked Indianapolis cause everything was in walking distance.
Finally Indianapolis is ranked as a top city to raise a family by forbes.com and many other sources. We have the worlds largest Childrens Museum and a wonderful sports scene for everyone the NCAA is also headquartered in Indy and the city has a contract to host the NCAA men and womens final four every 5 years. The Suburb of Fishers is the safest city in the United States according to QA crime rankings.
Finally i would recommend having a car in Indianapolis as it makes it easy to get to all the surrounding big cities like Chicago and Cincy/Louisville/St Louis and so on.
The best thing youll notice is the cost of living is half that of NYC. so if you make the same income in Indy youll have 2X the disposible income compared to NYC.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:16 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Something in between could be Kenmore, just outside of Buffalo. It was recently rated as one of the best neighborhoods by the APA and is a straight shot from this neighborhood:
Elmwood Village - Buffalo New York - YouTube

The Elmwood Village Association

Buffalo Neighborhoods Map - University at Buffalo Libraries

Welcome to the Village of Kenmore

Kenmore is in the Kenmore-Tonawanda Union Free SD, which is a solid district. It is a very dense village too. Just south of there is North Buffalo, which may also work. Kenmore Town of Tonawanda UFSD

Hertel-North Buffalo Business Association, Inc.

Allentown is another funky neighborhood too: Allentown Association

Can't forget Parkside: Parkside Community Association |

Buffalo Apartments for Rent | Buffalo NY Apartment Finder

Artvoice: Buffalo's #1 Newsweekly
Aren't people fleeing out of Buffalo like crazy? I thought I read somewhere it has the highest population decrease in the last couple of years than any other place.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:27 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Aren't people fleeing out of Buffalo like crazy? I thought I read somewhere it has the highest population decrease in the last couple of years than any other place.
Sounds like an underdog then -- how American!

Old 06-25-2012, 08:59 PM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Actually, people are leaving, but it has slowed down. So, I wouldn't say that people are leaving like crazy. Given the criteria of the original post, they may be fine. Administrative Assistant jobs in Buffalo, NY - Indeed Mobile

Administrative jobs in Buffalo, NY - Indeed Mobile

retail jobs in Buffalo, NY - Indeed Mobile

If they want something else, maybe smaller places like Ithaca and Ann Arbor could work. Perhaps areas like Rochester, Pittsburgh, Cleveland or Columbus could work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.