Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Midwestern state has the most Southern influence?
Kansas 7 4.27%
Missouri 121 73.78%
Illinois 1 0.61%
Indiana 30 18.29%
Ohio 5 3.05%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 06:15 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
That's not necessarily true. I'm from Michigan, and while there are more southern traits closer to the Oho River, I don't know anyone who thinks of the Cincinnati area as being "southern," for instance.

Unless you're specifically talking about southern Indiana as opposed to southern Ohio and southern Illinois, and as I said earlier that logic wouldn't work because all three were founded the same way.
I actually envy you. The people who insist that everything south of Indianapolis is Dixie are annoyingly misinformed, and stubborn about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 07:53 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,442,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
That may be true, but at least 50% of Kansas is decidedly "Northern." The rest is transition. To call it a blend to me implies a homogenous mixture, which most of Kansas really isn't, nor is most of Missouri. Transition=more Northern at one end, more southern at the other.
You still haven't explained where specifically in Kansas is "decidedly 'Northern.'" So where exactly would that be? If it's really 50%, it must be much more than just the KCKS metro.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:48 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I actually envy you. The people who insist that everything south of Indianapolis is Dixie are annoyingly misinformed, and stubborn about it.
Well, we have a lot of geographically ignorant people in this country. I'm sure there are people in, say, Southern Illinois who insist that Northern Michigan is Canadian.

Many people who make such assumptions haven't been to the "real" South (Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia) and thus don't realize that a city like Cincinnati has more in common with Pittsburgh than Jackson. Of course, the Midwest is also not a monolithic area.

Then again, most people aren't that well read and don't travel that often, so they don't know this city from that state to begin with.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:45 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
You still haven't explained where specifically in Kansas is "decidedly 'Northern.'" So where exactly would that be? If it's really 50%, it must be much more than just the KCKS metro.
I would say anywhere along I-70 and northward fits the bill. IMO, you could actually expand that to over half of the state. Wichita isn't really decidedly either one.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Well, we have a lot of geographically ignorant people in this country. I'm sure there are people in, say, Southern Illinois who insist that Northern Michigan is Canadian.

Many people who make such assumptions haven't been to the "real" South (Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia) and thus don't realize that a city like Cincinnati has more in common with Pittsburgh than Jackson. Of course, the Midwest is also not a monolithic area.

Then again, most people aren't that well read and don't travel that often, so they don't know this city from that state to begin with.
The Upper Midwest is as influenced by Canada as the Lower Midwest is influenced by the South...but both have more in common with each other.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:27 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,442,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I would say anywhere along I-70 and northward fits the bill. IMO, you could actually expand that to over half of the state.Wichita isn't really decidedly either one.
This is exactly what I keep saying, but I guess you aren't listening, or you aren't willing to allow me my own opinion. I NEVER said Kansas is Southern. I said it's influenced by the South, which is very different, and also the point of this thread.
This is a pointless debate and it's getting out of hand.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:54 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
Missouri, at least the southern half.

Likewise for southern Illinois; maybe southern Indiana, though I think there's more of a blend there.

SE Ohio IMO has more of an Appalachian influence.

Elsewhere, Texas - depending on where you are in Texas - seems to show some influence from everywhere else: the Deep South and especially Louisiana (East Texas), the Plains or Midwest (the Panhandle and maybe some of the Red River Valley), the Southwest (El Paso, and most areas west of a line from Del Rio to about Midland-Odessa), and Mexico (the lower Rio Grande Valley). Plus the tropical nature of the immediate Gulf Coast, from Houston/Galveston south, which pretty much recalls most other tropical/subtropical coastal regions of the US to some degree.
Don't forget the dozen or so counties called "Little Dixie"in northern MO. Strong Southern heritage there.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:15 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Don't forget the dozen or so counties called "Little Dixie"in northern MO. Strong Southern heritage there.
Basically MOST rural counties in MO have a significant southern influence, at least compared to the states to the north of it. The big cities in MO are more alligned with the Midwest overall, but you immediately pick up some of the southern influences outside of those areas. In the Midwest core you do not run into this divergence much at all.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
It's actually central Missouri for the most part...the core counties are strung out along the Missouri. Strong southern heritage yes...today however that is pretty much all it is. You would never guess its past looking at the area today. Midwestern with southern influences is how I'd characterize the area today. But yes, I guess if you want to speak of influence, these counties could be included. However, they are above the transition zone (the point at which you get blurred in terms of identity).

Last edited by stlouisan; 07-03-2012 at 01:34 PM..

Old 07-03-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Basically MOST rural counties in MO have a significant southern influence, at least compared to the states to the north of it. The big cities in MO are more alligned with the Midwest overall, but you immediately pick up some of the southern influences outside of those areas. In the Midwest core you do not run into this divergence much at all.
I would agree that compared to Iowa, Missouri is much more influenced by the south...as to how significant these influences are, when you compare the rest of the state to the southern quarter, the influences are insignificant. Outside of KC and STL, I would agree to the influences being comparatively strong, but not to the point that their identity is blurred. Only to the south of roughly U.S. Highway 50 would I agree to a blurred identity. MO as a whole state is 50% Midwestern, 25% transition, and 25% southern.

Last edited by stlouisan; 07-03-2012 at 01:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.