Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Midwestern state has the most Southern influence?
Kansas 7 4.27%
Missouri 121 73.78%
Illinois 1 0.61%
Indiana 30 18.29%
Ohio 5 3.05%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 11:34 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Good grief at these poll numbers. The bottom half of Ohio is in all practical matters, a southern state (or at least its portion). Appalachian, conservative, Republican.
By this definition, the majority of Pennsylvania and about half of New York State are the South, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
[Kentucky is] arguably as midwestern as southern Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, or Ohio.

The northern 10-15% of the state might be considered Midwestern with a strong southern influence, especially the three counties that are part of the Cincinnati metro area, but the rest of the state is not Midwestern in character or any significant inflence. I will admit that Kentucky is the outlier among southern states, though.

This map of the incidence of words by which one addresses a group of people (you guys, you all, y'all) says a lot.

Source:http://nordic.businessinsider.com/co...=article-image
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 04:27 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Missouri is a fairly southern state outside of the largest two metros in the state, STL and KC. Yes, they are very frightened of snow as everything closes down for very small amounts. Culturally, it is very Bible Belt outside the large metros and more conservative politically than most states in the US these days. Rural poverty is often extreme, well maintained "neat and tidy" towns are not very common compared to anywhere in the upper Midwest. Educational attainment is often substantially less as well.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:49 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
The Ozark area is pretty southern, similar to Tennessee, Arkansas or western NC

Old 02-23-2018, 05:50 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Did the French people intermarry with the German, et al. settlers, or did they mostly marry within their own ethnic group? If the latter is true, I'm guessing their Roman Catholic heritage kept them distinct from the other Lutheran and Baptist groups in the area, allowing them to preserve their culture, including their language, into the 20th century.
Missouri's French eventually became Americanized for the most part but the surnames are still around. I know some that go back in Missouri to before 1780. A lot of the old towns have French beginnings. Fredericktown was originally Saint Michel. Before Potosi was founded by Moses Austin (Stephan Austin's father) the local settlement was Mine au Breton. As far as the language speakers go I don't know the answer to that question with any certainty except that I noticed that all the women looked alike. It could have been an extended family. They were pretty isolated in the backwoods as I recall but there were Catholic churches in the area. It was easily 40 years ago when I encountered them and they were pushing 80. I saw somewhere that there are a couple people who still know the dialect. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_French
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.