Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 10:44 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,089,790 times

Advertisements

I enjoy traveling alone.

Are you talking about specific cities?

San Francisco, NYC, Chicago are particularly great cities to explore alone- compact and easy to get around in these cities and things happen "on the go" (you're not gonna stick out like a sore thumb doing things solo is what I mean)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 10:58 AM

12,385 posts, read 28,383,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I enjoy traveling alone.

Are you talking about specific cities?

San Francisco, NYC, Chicago are particularly great cities to explore alone- compact and easy to get around in these cities and things happen "on the go" (you're not gonna stick out like a sore thumb doing things solo is what I mean)
The only thing I would add about those is it would be easy for a tourist there to wind up "in the hood"... by getting off or taking a wrong subway stop. One stop might be fine and where you want to go, go one more and you are in the hood. This is different than walking around where you can "see it coming"
There are places in these cities where a traveler should probably not venture in alone, even in broad day light.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:36 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,644,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltaway View Post
I'm a 20 year old female...
you'll do very little of your traveling alone. before you know it, you'll have an orbit of guys also traveling alone wanting to travel with you

Old 07-01-2012, 11:15 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,585,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Hmmm I guess I disagree with some of this. As an avid traveler, I don't necessarily want to socialize when I am traveling, as I don't necessarily seek out socialization that much normally. Traveling is often TO be alone with my own thoughts and without having other interupt me, it's to escape daily life. Now, maybe I will come upon somebody that interests me, but I certainly wont' talk to somebody just because they happen to cross my path.

As for running into wildlife, I run into wildlife on hikes ALL the time. I am not sure where you are hiking but in Florida or California, or places like that, they are teeming with wild life. It wouldn't be uncommon to run across snakes, scorpions, alligators, bears, coyotes, mountain lions, etc.

That being said, you might want to familiarize yourself with local fauna/flora etc, basic first aid, those kinds of things. It really depends on how prepared YOU are... We don't konw you, so maybe you aren't prepared. I've certainly run into tourists our people in the outdoors who were extreme novices or lost tourists in a big city.
I'd have to disagree with you. As a birdwatcher,who has walked quite a bit off the roads, I'm as familiar with flora and fauna as the OP is likely to become, and she is not likely to be doing any back-country hiking that will require outfitting. If she's just walking designated hiking trails in public areas, she is not going to see any large mammals. Might see a few alligators dozing in gulf coast states. I don't see any more than about one snake every two years, I've never seen a scorpion in North America and precious few elsewhere. There are a few high country places in western states where large mammals might be encountered. I do several day-long bird census counts in south Texas wildlife areas every month, and I have yet to see any of the wildlife you are talking about. I lived in rural Florida for two years, and was in the wilderness birding at least every week on foot. It sure as hell isn't "teeming" with wildlife, unless you are a very experienced outdoorsman who knows how to look for wildlife and gets well off trails that are frequented by casual hikers. The OP was asking for advice that would be applicable to a casual hiker. In short, if she's going to take a one-hour hiking loop in flipflops in a wildlife refuge in Kansas, she is not going to be mauled by a bear.

Also, the OP expressed concern about being alone away from home, and if she were like you, wishing to avoid socialization, she would probably be expressing no such concerns. She is probably quite aware of the fact that she will not be compelled to enter into socialization when she doesn't want to be. Everybody already knows that one doesn't have to seek out strangers or be responsive to them if one doesn't want to. If her purpose of traveling was to be alone with her own thoughts, she'd just go ahead and do it, instead of soliciting input about solo traveling experience.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:45 PM

As a native of Florida, I have seen multiple alligators and snakes in a single day, in different places, as well as seen scorpions in Florida, California and Arizona while on fairly casual trails. Not to mention spiders out the wazoo. I've had them (scorpions) get in my freaking car just leaving a window down. I have seen several bears in California, we had several approach us around Tahoe...It's pretty touristy. I have wandered on packs of coyotes on normal trails. Heck I've had racoons jump in front of me on a jog through Grant Park in Chicago.
Now maybe it is that most of my outdoor experience is in Florida and California, but I assure you if you go on "nature" activities there you are very likely to run into wildlife.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:42 AM

37,737 posts, read 40,783,268 times
Quote:
Are there any good places I would be able to travel to alone in the U.S. I'm not sure what there is to do by myself I don't want to hike in the woods alone because I don't want to get attacked by a animal or fall and no one will be able to help. Any suggestions?
I'm much older than you and can't do a lot of walking. I travel alone all of the time. These are road trip tips.

Make sure you belong to some kind of road assistance club before you travel and travel with a cell phone on your person. Before you leave, program numbers into your phone related to your trip (like the motel/hotel numbers and the road assistance number). Be observant when you drive and frequently take a look at mile marker numbers or road signs so if your car breaks down, you don't have to walk from it to find information to tell someone where you are/what town you are passing through. If your car has a compass (N,E,W,S) you'll be able to tell the road assistance people what direction you are headed in, too. Not a bad idea to carry one with you in case your car's breakdown includes the loss of power. If you don't have GPS, print your directions from Mapquest before you leave. Have some kind of map book in the car.

Have your car serviced before a long road trip. That means oil change, filters, tire rotation and pressure check, fluids and windshield wipers at a minimum.

In your car, keep a bottle of No-Doz pills or Vivarin. There's no one traveling with you so don't get sleepy when driving. Take a pill to stay awake/alert. Keep bottled water in the car.

Don't forget phone and camera battery chargers when packing.

Plan your road trip in advance. Know where you expect to be on what days. Before you leave, email your itinerary to someone. Include the phone numbers for motels for each night of the trip - that means reservations should be made in advance. Research those motels/hotels before you go. Don't be caught driving around alone, someplace you've never been to before, looking for a place to sleep at night that you know nothing about.

If you don't like to eat in restaurants by yourself, before you go, reseach online what places near your motel have carryout.

It's just me and my cameras. I can't physically walk around a lot or schelp a lot of stuff but I like to photograph wildlife/birds so I go to wildlife refuges and look for the ones with auto loops. That is, there is a paved, dirt or gravel road in the refuge that you drive on where you can pull over and either take photos from the driver's side window of your vehicle or you can get out right there, stand near you vehicle or on some observation deck that you don't have to walk to. Some parks also offer a road loop. You can do that kind of research online before you go if you are looking for nature in your road travels.

I also look for scenic roads with pullovers. That is, you pull over with your car and stand by your car to look at nice scenery.

I also look for places on these road trips that offer day cruises/boat rides/carriage tours/trolley tours to look at nice scenery. You see a lot and you are not by yourself even though you are traveling alone. They usually only last a few hours so no pressure to socialize. Sometimes I do this on fishing headboats, too, in bays or on rivers (closer to the shoreline than in some ocean). Technically, you are there to fish but it's a great way to photograph shorelines from the water and the fishing boat people don't care that you are taking photos.

Go easy on the luggage. Instead of packing enough clothes for a two week trip, for example, try to stay at some motel midway during the trip that has a customer coin laundry room so you only have to pack half the number of clothes and you don't have to go to a laundromat at night. The motel description will tell you if there is a coin operated customer laundry on the premesis. Again, you are by yourself. Keep the load light. There's just you to lug stuff in and out of a motel to your car. Keep 2 large plastic trashbags in the trunk. Take dirty laundry out of the suitcase and put it in the trash bags so you don't keep lugging dirty clothes around in a suitcase before you get to the motel where you will eventually do laundry.

Before you leave, throw some singles and some change in a small plastic bowl with a lid that you can easily slip under the passenger seat when you stop at rest areas and motels and keep on the passenger seat when you drive so you aren't fumbling for money at toll plazas. The singles would be for toll roads and bridges. The coins would also be to make exact toll amounts and for coin operated laundry and vending machines. Have more than enough for the reverse trip.

I like to buy those packages of multi-pack peanut butter crackers or those boxes of small packages of oreo cookies to keep in the car. Not suggesting you eat and drive but when you pull over in a rest area on the drive to and from your destination or you pull over at some scenic overlook, you can nibble in your car at that time. Also, you can leave that stuff in the car overnight. Keep some small kitchen sized trash bags in the car for your trash and get rid of it when you stop.

No one to talk to so make some music CDs before you go or bring an audio book for those places where you can't find a decent radio station.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:49 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,077,314 times
Quote:
Are there any good places I would be able to travel to alone in the U.S. I'm not sure what there is to do by myself I don't want to hike in the woods alone because I don't want to get attacked by a animal or fall and no one will be able to help. Any suggestions?
I am not sure where you live, but I travelled alone to NYC the first time I went and had a blast while I was there. NYC has so many iconic buildings, attractions and museums that you couldn't see them all in a week. You can spend an entire day in the MET alone and not be bored! If you have never been there, I would highly recommend it. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
The only thing I would add about those is it would be easy for a tourist there to wind up "in the hood"... by getting off or taking a wrong subway stop. One stop might be fine and where you want to go, go one more and you are in the hood. This is different than walking around where you can "see it coming". There are places in these cities where a traveler should probably not venture in alone, even in broad day light.
I have been to NYC three times (alone the first time) and never been anywhere near a "hood". A great majority of attractions within NY are located in Manhattan, which could hardly be called dangerous by anyone's standards anymore.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:07 AM

6,333 posts, read 11,491,519 times
I occasionally encounter bears when hiking on developed trails in the Smokies Park. I hike alone all the time (middlee age F). A 20 yr old might have more concern from 2 legged animals. But a ranger can reccomend trails that are heavily trafficed and no more danger than walking down a city street.

I prefer the less travelled trails, so I tell someone I am going to the woods and a general area where I'll be. The important thing is someone to know I am missing. The rangers can figure the trail depending on where I park. I also pack a space blanket, poncho, and inflatable pillow, a fleece blanket in winter. But I hike a LOT and have never had any problems.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
I am not sure where you live, but I travelled alone to NYC the first time I went and had a blast while I was there. NYC has so many iconic buildings, attractions and museums that you couldn't see them all in a week. You can spend an entire day in the MET alone and not be bored! If you have never been there, I would highly recommend it. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

I have been to NYC three times (alone the first time) and never been anywhere near a "hood". A great majority of attractions within NY are located in Manhattan, which could hardly be called dangerous by anyone's standards anymore.
Well that is the difference between a tourist and a traveler, most travelers will want to venture in the non tourist areas to see how people actually live, this means leaving the cushy confines of Manhattan.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I occasionally encounter bears when hiking on developed trails in the Smokies Park. I hike alone all the time (middlee age F). A 20 yr old might have more concern from 2 legged animals. But a ranger can reccomend trails that are heavily trafficed and no more danger than walking down a city street.

I prefer the less travelled trails, so I tell someone I am going to the woods and a general area where I'll be. The important thing is someone to know I am missing. The rangers can figure the trail depending on where I park. I also pack a space blanket, poncho, and inflatable pillow, a fleece blanket in winter. But I hike a LOT and have never had any problems.
I agree, these wildlife sitings are certainly not uncommon, especially when you are in something like a national park (which also are often wildlife sanctuaries)

Hiking down trails where I am encountering lots of people defeats the purpose of a hike for me.

I've also never had any PROBLEMS with the wildlife b/c I'm usually aware of my surroundings, but definitely see them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.