Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 08:59 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,706,752 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm looking at driving from San Antonio to St. Louis this weekend. Here is my trip:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=U...sz=11&t=m&z=11

*the starting and ending point are fictional for privacy concerns, but this is the route I'm taking.

It seems the trip will take about 15hrs. I plan to leave Friday afternoon and I guess I'll plan about 7hrs of driving for each day. So, where should I stop for an overnight on Friday? Looks like I will be in OKlahoma near Muskogee or so. I like small towns...but also would like a decent place to eat...preferably BBQ or steak. Safe area.

Suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 09:05 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,559,678 times
It's a 923 mile trip. Oklahoma City is just under the halfway point, and Tulsa is a bit over. In cities of that size, you have a multitude of choices for meals and lodging.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:19 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,706,752 times
Good point, I'll just see where my journey takes me.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:36 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Google /whataburger locator map/. I think the last ones are in Stillwater and Tulsa.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:46 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
It's a 923 mile trip. Oklahoma City is just under the halfway point, and Tulsa is a bit over. In cities of that size, you have a multitude of choices for meals and lodging.
If you look at the route on the map, neither of those cities is on the route. Checotah looks like the midpoint. If I were making the trip, I'd see what Travelocity suggested for lodging in Checotah. If there's lodging, there are bound to be restaurants.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:36 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Pick a city, then go to the state forum to see what the locals suggest.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:31 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Well it would be smart to find some place halfway between STL and SA so in that case, it would be Oklahoma. I would say Austin hill country area and get some BBQ (the best Texas has to offer IMO) but that would not make any sense.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:48 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
If you look at the route on the map, neither of those cities is on the route. Checotah looks like the midpoint. If I were making the trip, I'd see what Travelocity suggested for lodging in Checotah. If there's lodging, there are bound to be restaurants.
This is actually an easy no brainer answer. Krebs, Oklahoma (right across highway 69 from McAlester, OK) has some of the best Italian food on the planet.

There are actually 4 quality restaraunts in this area.

1) Pete's Place- The original and probably funnest but probably not quite as good of food as the others.
They have home made (Choc- Short for Choctaw) beer there.

Isle of Capri- A block east of Pete's. The most formal (but not really) of the four. Great steaks there. They serve on large Mahogany tables so your party may share with another party. Famous for the Lamb Fries as well.

Rosanne's- further east a few blocks into Krebs. The most laid back of all the places and probably has the best actual Italian food. In an old house. Pasta melts in your mouth, however unlike the other three places it doesn't serve family style.

Giacomo's- This place is actually back south of the others about a mile and is actually in McAlester. This place is decorated to where you would expect the Rat Pack, or some famous ganster to walk in. Very 50ish motif. They have absolutely incredible Italian sausage and Italian rolls there.

All of these places are great. They are actually destination restaraunts for people in Oklahoma, Arkansas and North Texas. You can't go wrong with any of them. There are a number of places to stay in McAlester and you may not want to drive any further after stuffing yourself on their fare.

And I might mention that the Lovera's quick stop in the middle of Krebs has absolutely no ambiance but they do have the best Pizza in the state of Oklahoma (and it's not even close) If you were tired I would recommend getting a hotel room, driving over there and ordering a pizza (or sandwich) to your liking, and taking it back to your room. They also sell the Choc beer there if you want to try it.

Oh, and Krebs, (McAlester) is about 30 miles southwest of Checotah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.