Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What part of the US has the worst weather?
the Northeast 61 10.66%
the Midwest 208 36.36%
the South 174 30.42%
the Rockies 14 2.45%
the Southwest 52 9.09%
the Pacific Northwest 45 7.87%
California 18 3.15%
Voters: 572. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 12:50 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
The only thing you've ever seen me say was that the lack of blacks is one of the reasons I have no desire to live there. Weather has nothing to do with the race of the people. Montreal is about as black as SF, but it's one of my favorite cities and I easily prefer its weather over the California coast. So if people are going to accuse me of being so shallow, their claims should atleast be sound.

I'm through entertaining foolishness, so let's make a deal: I'll continue to put up with his and others' constant berating of Houston, and they'll continue to deal with my honesty about San Francisco. I understand that individualism isn't respected on these forums, but it would be advantageous for you all to learn how to do so.
I like Houston, I would easily take it over say Philadelphia in an instant heart beat if it came down to the two.

However, his opinions of Houston are more or less concurrent with my own. I find myself in agreement with the majority of his posts regarding Houston, all the time, the weather one I do think Houston has pleasant weather for minimum 6-7 months possibly more or less depending whether it's a good year or not. Houston's a fine city and has plenty going for it, certainly more than it's given credit for on this board, however it too has it's own blemishes just like all cities do. Doesn't stop it from being a nice place.

Also I haven't accused you of anything, I've just noticed you downplay the Bay Area a few times before, be it climate, scenery (compared to New York's?), location (isolation) and it just seemed like it was for something else. I apologize for assuming since you've cleared it up, it wasn't my intention to single you out and call your preference a hoax, if you took it as so then my sincerest apologies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
SF's climate is among the best -- at least if you hate extremes! The fog is a tad annoying and the fact that you may need a sweatshirt in the summer is flat out weird for me as a Midwesterner/Northerner (MN), but it's hard to complain about mostly sunny days, 55-75 degrees, 80% of the time. If that weather is too rough for you I think you might be more delicate than a baby!!!

The coolest thing about SF or other multi-zonal metros along the coast and near mountains, is that you can up and move a few miles in any direction to get a change in weather -- how cool is that! So when it's overcast and foggy and 50 degrees in Haight/Ashbury, you can drive 5 miles North to Sausalito and be in the sun, or 5 miles East and be in the sun and 90 degrees.
My rule of thumb has always been that if it's an awesome city then weather couldn't ever detract me from being there. I carry this aggressively in actual life.

I've never experienced much in the way of winter and every city I've lived in (except Chicago) have global reputations for being amazingly hot, so it was something I got used to quick. The heat and humidity don't bug me, I actually embrace them so I can understand Nairobi's take on actually liking extreme weather.

Yeah the Bay Area has a great geographical location and is plenty blessed with it's own micro-climates. There's a vary 20 degree difference between east and west, north and south in the Bay Area typically. Sort of cool how people get to "pick" their climate of choice and as a driver I agree the fog can be a little too much sometimes especially with the hilly streets it can be dangerous but I have to say the fog cover over the bridge as seen from the Twin Peaks can be such a magnificent urban site, especially early in the morning like 6 AM where the city lights are still one and the view of the bridge, mountains, skyline, city lights, and fog is just incredible in my personal opinion.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 03-25-2013 at 02:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 06:39 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
Maybe this will help some to understand the comments about San Fransisco weather being among the "worst."

For some people, uninteresting weather = bad.

There. Does it make sense now? Weather variety, thunderstorms, wind, blizzards, heat waves, going from a nasty day to a beautiful day in a few hours, getting excited about a 10 day forecast with sunshine every day after a long winter, or those pop-up thunderstorms in the afternoon, even a cold snap with record lows below zero... it all creates a certain level of excitement. It's not for everyone, obviously. Some people are pansies when it comes to weather. And that's fine. Different strokes.

For some of us, those events are what keep life interesting, what we like to talk about, why we check weather.com religiously. It's almost a hobby.

In a place like San Fransisco, this aspect of life, a fascination with daily weather, would be absent. And that is not necessarily a good thing.

So, yes. It is possible for weather to be too "mild." Lame. Boring. Whichever adjective is your favorite.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:25 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Maybe this will help some to understand the comments about San Fransisco weather being among the "worst."

There. Does it make sense now? Weather variety, thunderstorms, wind, blizzards, heat waves, going from a nasty day to a beautiful day in a few hours, getting excited about a 10 day forecast with sunshine every day after a long winter, or those pop-up thunderstorms in the afternoon, even a cold snap with record lows below zero... it all creates a certain level of excitement. It's not for everyone, obviously. Some people are pansies when it comes to weather. And that's fine. Different strokes.

For some of us, those events are what keep life interesting, what we like to talk about, why we check weather.com religiously. It's almost a hobby.

In a place like San Fransisco, this aspect of life, a fascination with daily weather, would be absent. And that is not necessarily a good thing.

So, yes. It is possible for weather to be too "mild." Lame. Boring. Whichever adjective is your favorite.
I agree with that -- I would go nuts if the weather never changed! My family now lives in SF and they actually complain about the weather in that there are no seasons (or two seasons: wet and dry) and they actually MISS the snowy weather in MN or OH when they come to visit us, or hot and humid summer days as well. They don't necessarily PREFER it to SF's weather, but it's kind of interesting to see the reaction to people who are accustomed to 4 STRONG seasons go to a place where the weather is much harder to differentiate, like SF.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:27 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Right. Summer in SF is September and October. It warms up a good 10 or more degrees in Fall, over Summer here. I saw 80s in the City last April, but it only lasted a few days and we closed the office, so I suspect that's not the norm.

Divisadero is the fog line. East of there will stay fog free every day during summer days and will only occasionally fog up at night. Night baseball games at AT&T park are typically clear, but breezy, with occasional wisps of fog blowing over the upper deck seats. It's usually no lower than the mid-upper 50s at night in the northeastern part of the City, where I live.

I do like to go out to The Richmond for Asian cuisine on nice summer evenings. I can leave my apartment in sunny, 65-degrees (which is warm in the clear air with the direct sunlight) and go just a few minutes up California St. to the other side of Presidio Heights and instantly be in a thick, foggy 52 degrees with the fog horns on the bridge going nuts and the whole city taking on this kind of mysterious ambiance that is really amazing to me.

Conversely, as you mentioned, I can go to Marin and be in more typical "summer" weather of 70s-80s in about the same amount of time. It's all part of the charm of this place.
It's very cool to me, and not to mention the most beautiful city in the country, IMO!

Old 03-25-2013, 08:54 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post

I'm through entertaining foolishness, so let's make a deal: I'll continue to put up with his and others' constant berating of Houston, and they'll continue to deal with my honesty about San Francisco. I understand that individualism isn't respected on these forums, but it would be advantageous for you all to learn how to do so.
Sure, I understand enjoying variety, as stated by others above. That's why the fog (it's really marine layer in the City that changes the cloud cover and temperature, as opposed to tule fog in the Central Valley that makes driving dangerous) keeps things interesting.

My only point with Nairobi was that I suspected she was posting to me, rather than to the topic. The statement above seems to confirm this suspicion.

I used to ride around all summer with the top down on my car in Houston, in 100+ (when it wasn't raining), Under polluted, white skies. You will never know how blue a sky can be until you get in some higher elevations or benefit from a consistent onshore breeze. Houston's is nearly always off-shore. I even thought it was funny to see all the convertibles with their tops up all the time in that city. Now I get it. My pool water sometimes felt like bath water, getting up to 94 degrees because of the humidity. That wasn't very refreshing, but we swam anyway, fought through pop-up thunderstorms and bug infestations and enjoyed it. I pulled 4" thick tree limbs out of that pool on a couple of occasions, fixed downed fences, stripped off siding and roof shingles and replaced thousands of dollars worth of landscaping too. I was stranded on freeways due to rising flood waters on five separate occasions all were honest life-threatening and property-threatening events. I sat on a freeway overpass surrounded by murky rising water and floating garbage as a car burned a few feet in front of me because no fire trucks could get there. That fourth occasion was dubbed a "100 year event". Each of the others was called a "50 year event". All happened within a 15 year span. All produced weather-related deaths. I also evacuated to Tyler, Tx. during Hurricane Rita, as my area was under mandatory evacuation and was expected to be under 4' of storm surge. It didn't happen, of course, but my car full of valuables spent 29 hours to make a trip that normally takes about 4 because of the crush of people who shouldn't have evacuated but did. I guess they were "pansies". A bus load of elderly people died in that evacuation too.

I didn't "enjoy" Houston's weather, but it wasn't beyond my ability to take. I tolerated it for more than 20 years. It did make me appreciate the really amazing weather of San Francisco. What does Daniel Tosh say about California weather? "Sure, we love seasons too, that's why we got rid of the crappy ones."

Old 03-25-2013, 10:09 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
Quote:
Sure, I understand enjoying variety, as stated by others above. That's why the fog (it's really marine layer in the City that changes the cloud cover and temperature, as opposed to tule fog in the Central Valley that makes driving dangerous) keeps things interesting.

My only point with Nairobi was that I suspected she was posting to me, rather than to the topic. The statement above seems to confirm this suspicion.

I used to ride around all summer with the top down on my car in Houston, in 100+ (when it wasn't raining), Under polluted, white skies. You will never know how blue a sky can be until you get in some higher elevations or benefit from a consistent onshore breeze. Houston's is nearly always off-shore. I even thought it was funny to see all the convertibles with their tops up all the time in that city. Now I get it. My pool water sometimes felt like bath water, getting up to 94 degrees because of the humidity. That wasn't very refreshing, but we swam anyway, fought through pop-up thunderstorms and bug infestations and enjoyed it. I pulled 4" thick tree limbs out of that pool on a couple of occasions, fixed downed fences, stripped off siding and roof shingles and replaced thousands of dollars worth of landscaping too. I was stranded on freeways due to rising flood waters on five separate occasions all were honest life-threatening and property-threatening events. I sat on a freeway overpass surrounded by murky rising water and floating garbage as a car burned a few feet in front of me because no fire trucks could get there. That fourth occasion was dubbed a "100 year event". Each of the others was called a "50 year event". All happened within a 15 year span. All produced weather-related deaths. I also evacuated to Tyler, Tx. during Hurricane Rita, as my area was under mandatory evacuation and was expected to be under 4' of storm surge. It didn't happen, of course, but my car full of valuables spent 29 hours to make a trip that normally takes about 4 because of the crush of people who shouldn't have evacuated but did. I guess they were "pansies". A bus load of elderly people died in that evacuation too.

I didn't "enjoy" Houston's weather, but it wasn't beyond my ability to take. I tolerated it for more than 20 years. It did make me appreciate the really amazing weather of San Francisco. What does Daniel Tosh say about California weather? "Sure, we love seasons too, that's why we got rid of the crappy ones."
Good post. I can't argue with your perspective. I will admit that the weather where I live is interesting, but mostly lacks large natural disasters, which it sounds like you saw a lot of in Houston. Experiencing that crap might make me want to get away from "interesting" weather as well.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:38 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:

Same here. Also, I'm a he.

By the way, is your request to put me on ignore still being processed? What's the hold up?

Old 03-25-2013, 12:08 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Thanks for the reminder. I saw you quoted in Valentro's post and un-ignored you to respond on my mobile device while waiting for the cable car this morning. Back on...

Old 03-25-2013, 12:34 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post

Thank you. I love riding around the low-lying, west side prairies when a big storm is rolling in: a solid sheet of dense clouds sliding in, gusty winds dropping the temps 20 degrees in a matter of minutes, and the epic storm that follows. And there's nothing like being a kid in Houston's summers. Hooping with nothing but sneakers and shorts on; buying a creamsicle and having half of it melt and drip down your arm before you even got home. I live for that kind of weather.

But, as I said, Houston doesn't have my perfect climate. Those warm, humid, and sunny winter days make me want to hit people, sometimes; especially during the holidays when I'd like nothing better than to dress up in some winter gear and feel the crunch of snow under my feet. Yeah, Southeast Texas isn't my favorite place in December.

My ideal weather features extremes. Dalparadise says he respects that POV, but I doubt it.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:56 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Funny that some people get heated over someones opinion about a city, and at the same time constantly tear down that someones city.

So it's not alright for someone to dislike the weather in SF? But it's okay to flat out exaggerate about the temps in Houston?

Okay it's cooler than normal in Houston, so to say that it is cool for longer than it's hot may be am exaggeration but some people flat out exaggerate.

I am from the Caribbean so a sunny 92 is home for me, but I do appreciate the cool snaps.

That being said mid septembers is when it gets good for me, and mid May is when it gets too hot.
By my count that's about 7 or eight months of weather that is good for me and about four that is just blazing.

To me November, march and April in Houston is perfect weather with December, January and February being some of the mildest in the country.

And my two cents in SF, it seemed too dreary in the summer, not the worst Sumner weather, not the best, kinda the same for winter. Not the best, not the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.