Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What part of the US has the worst weather?
the Northeast 61 10.66%
the Midwest 208 36.36%
the South 174 30.42%
the Rockies 14 2.45%
the Southwest 52 9.09%
the Pacific Northwest 45 7.87%
California 18 3.15%
Voters: 572. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 11:34 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,716,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
What? Do you think hurricanes that hit the Northeast just magically disappear over the Catskills and Upstate NY is left sunny and free to go?

No, theres no hurricane force winds or flooding at all. No, Sandy didnt do anything. There are hurricane and tropical storm threats that hit every year. Same with Nor'easters.

Tornadoes?

Come on. They may be more frequent in the plains but they still happen.

Severe cold spells (-40) are also rare, but that doesnt stop anyone in MN from claiming them does it?

The entire point is the risk. Youre always at risk for these things to happen.

There are fault lines that run through the Northeast, there isnt much in the Midwest.
It is a hurricane when it hits the coast. Not when it gets upstate. When it gets up to Central or WNY it is a minor inconvenience and would not be considered a hurricane. I still went on my normal business when Sandy hit. Binghamton did see some flooding a few years ago but that is not common for most places in the state.
Not sure what the youtube vid was about. Tornadoes are extremely rare and showing one video doesn't change that. The fault lines that run in the area aren't that active which is why we rarely see an earthquake.
I would agree that a severe cold spell of -40 is rare in MN which is why I don't see anybody of intelligence from that area talking about those temps as if they are realistic or any type of normal threat.
These things are so rare that they aren't a valid threat. Ice storms are something that aren't very common and I would say that is more of a threat than any of the things that have been discussed by far.
When people in upstate areas talk about the weather, it is usually snow, ice, humidity and clouds. Hurricanes, earthquakes and tornadoes don't enter the conversation and you'd get laughed at by bringing these things up as a threat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 01:00 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Central portion of Montana. Snow over the top of your roof in the winter and 120 degrees in the summer. All mixed in with screaming non-stop wind.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:16 PM

6 posts, read 8,894 times
Florida.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:58 PM

541 posts, read 912,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
It is a hurricane when it hits the coast. Not when it gets upstate. When it gets up to Central or WNY it is a minor inconvenience and would not be considered a hurricane. I still went on my normal business when Sandy hit. Binghamton did see some flooding a few years ago but that is not common for most places in the state.
Not sure what the youtube vid was about. Tornadoes are extremely rare and showing one video doesn't change that. The fault lines that run in the area aren't that active which is why we rarely see an earthquake.
I would agree that a severe cold spell of -40 is rare in MN which is why I don't see anybody of intelligence from that area talking about those temps as if they are realistic or any type of normal threat.
These things are so rare that they aren't a valid threat. Ice storms are something that aren't very common and I would say that is more of a threat than any of the things that have been discussed by far.
When people in upstate areas talk about the weather, it is usually snow, ice, humidity and clouds. Hurricanes, earthquakes and tornadoes don't enter the conversation and you'd get laughed at by bringing these things up as a threat.

Yes, just minor inconveniences.

Hurricane Sandy reaches Upstate New York - News - The Stylus - The College at Brockport

Upstate NY braces as Sandy churns into region

Who gave you a keyboard and internet access? Its quite ignorant to think that hurricanes dont affect Upstate NY. They weaken when they make landfall, but its a slow process. Its still a ****ing hurricane that produces hurricane force winds. It also depends on the direction of the storm and size.

Most of which arent downgraded to a tropical storm until the storm has hit the region. So yes, they are still hurricanes.

Its like saying hurricanes hit Miami but not Orlando.

All I see are a few posters indicating that the Northeast doesnt get as cold as Minnesota or Wiscsonsin (verbatim), when it does. Upstate NY, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, all average lows extremely similar to MN.

Look at the statistics for Old Forge and International Falls. There really isnt much difference in temperature.

As for your other BS, im talking about combined risk. The probability doesnt matter. The fact that its rare doesnt matter, they still happen, and can happen at any given time, especially tornadoes. Its still a a present risk.

Hurricanes rarely strike NYC, but its still a ****ing threat. Thats my point, regardless of frequency.

Choosing to live between LA and NYC comes with weighted risk factors for earthquakes and hurricanes, Nor'easters, etc. that movers consider.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Yes, just minor inconveniences.

Hurricane Sandy reaches Upstate New York - News - The Stylus - The College at Brockport

Upstate NY braces as Sandy churns into region

Who gave you a keyboard and internet access? Its quite ignorant to think that hurricanes dont affect Upstate NY. They weaken when they make landfall, but its a slow process. Its still a ****ing hurricane that produces hurricane force winds. It also depends on the direction of the storm and size.

Most of which arent downgraded to a tropical storm until the storm has hit the region. So yes, they are still hurricanes.

Its like saying hurricanes hit Miami but not Orlando.

All I see are a few posters indicating that the Northeast doesnt get as cold as Minnesota or Wiscsonsin (verbatim), when it does. Upstate NY, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, all average lows extremely similar to MN.

Look at the statistics for Old Forge and International Falls. There really isnt much difference in temperature.

As for your other BS, im talking about combined risk. The probability doesnt matter. The fact that its rare doesnt matter, they still happen, and can happen at any given time, especially tornadoes. Its still a a present risk.

Hurricanes rarely strike NYC, but its still a ****ing threat. Thats my point, regardless of frequency.

Choosing to live between LA and NYC comes with weighted risk factors for earthquakes and hurricanes, Nor'easters, etc. that movers consider.
A few downed branches and people without power briefly, was the biggest threat. I'd hardly consider that major. A minor inconvenience. The article then went on to talk about anticipated waves from Lake Ontario which never happened. The local govts flipped out, making it seem like the storm of the century was going to happen and when a downgraded storm finally came, damage was minimal.
I said that hurricanes don't HAPPEN upstate. I never said they don't EFFECT upstate. We get some side effects upstate, but nothing to write home about.
You are cherry picking small isolated towns with extremely small populations for your temp comparison. Old Forge is a seasonal tourist town with a small year round population. Why not compare places where a significant amount of people actually live?
And probability absolutely matters. If you are bringing in combined risk, why not add in people getting stuck by lightening. That can happen at any time. But not likely. Bringing in freak occurances like a hurricane, earthquake or tornado to a conversation is fear mongering. It's like removing NYC from a relocation list because of fear of terrorism.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
A few downed branches and people without power briefly, was the biggest threat. I'd hardly consider that major. A minor inconvenience. The article then went on to talk about anticipated waves from Lake Ontario which never happened. The local govts flipped out, making it seem like the storm of the century was going to happen and when a downgraded storm finally came, damage was minimal.
I said that hurricanes don't HAPPEN upstate. I never said they don't EFFECT upstate. We get some side effects upstate, but nothing to write home about.
You are cherry picking small isolated towns with extremely small populations for your temp comparison. Old Forge is a seasonal tourist town with a small year round population. Why not compare places where a significant amount of people actually live?
And probability absolutely matters. If you are bringing in combined risk, why not add in people getting stuck by lightening. That can happen at any time. But not likely. Bringing in freak occurances like a hurricane, earthquake or tornado to a conversation is fear mongering. It's like removing NYC from a relocation list because of fear of terrorism.

Gee, I forgot we all live where you do and nothing happened.

Gladly. Syracuse is widely considered to be one of the top 5 worst weather cities in the country.

Syracuse Named Top 5 Worst Weather City in America

5 Worst Winter Weather Cities | Farmers' Almanac

Binghamton is also considered.

Cherry-picking small towns? What a revelation. We're comparing and contrasting weather extremes. What else do you suggest I do? Youre basically saying im not allowed to use examples, which is asinine. Big or small, it doesnt matter.

In fact, thats even more reason to think the Northeast is the worst, because far more people populate Upstate NY, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine than anywhere in Minnesota and the other upper plains states to feel the effects.

Your ignorance towards the fact that these areas get the same levels of cold is your first mistake. Theres really no difference between them. Most people think the only place in the country that gets balls cold is the upper plains. For the 76th time, no. Upstate NY and upper New England get the same cold spells. They average virtually the same temperatures. A matter of fact moment if you will.

Youre right, probability matters, whether its low risk or high. Glad we agree on that.

Dont act as if people that move to Southern California for example dont take earthquakes into consideration. The amount of devastation from these "rare" events (which seem to be happening lately with more frequency and impact as far as hurricanes go) is much more than any frequent cold spell in the upper plains.

The sticking point here is that regardless of frequency (say it a few more times in your head so it sticks), its the all around risks involved in living in certain areas.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:35 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Florida has the worst weather. but not because of hurricanes but the humidity. My hair gets all frizzy and I just step outside and....whoooop! Gosh, I simply feel like crawling up somewhere and dying!

Old 04-17-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Gee, I forgot we all live where you do and nothing happened.

Gladly. Syracuse is widely considered to be one of the top 5 worst weather cities in the country.

Syracuse Named Top 5 Worst Weather City in America

5 Worst Winter Weather Cities | Farmers' Almanac

Binghamton is also considered.

Cherry-picking small towns? What a revelation. We're comparing and contrasting weather extremes. What else do you suggest I do? Youre basically saying im not allowed to use examples, which is asinine. Big or small, it doesnt matter.

In fact, thats even more reason to think the Northeast is the worst, because far more people populate Upstate NY, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine than anywhere in Minnesota and the other upper plains states to feel the effects.

Your ignorance towards the fact that these areas get the same levels of cold is your first mistake. Theres really no difference between them. Most people think the only place in the country that gets balls cold is the upper plains. For the 76th time, no. Upstate NY and upper New England get the same cold spells. They average virtually the same temperatures. A matter of fact moment if you will.

Youre right, probability matters, whether its low risk or high. Glad we agree on that.

Dont act as if people that move to Southern California for example dont take earthquakes into consideration. The amount of devastation from these "rare" events (which seem to be happening lately with more frequency and impact as far as hurricanes go) is much more than any frequent cold spell in the upper plains.

The sticking point here is that regardless of frequency (say it a few more times in your head so it sticks), its the all around risks involved in living in certain areas.
You now seem to be making arguments against statements I never made in the first place. Take a step back and calm down.
Your posting of the links to worst weather cities proves what exactly? I am making the argument that it is silly to take into consideration earthquakes, tornadoes and hurricanes when trying to make the argument that upstate has the "worst" weather due to their infrequency. I clearly stated in another post that I agreed with the cold, snowy, cloudy weather.
In other posts I agreed what was contained in your links about the winter weather so not sure what you are trying to prove by posting those.
I never said you couldn't use examples but providing examples of areas that are sparsely populated doesn't really show much. Nobody lives there in the first place so who cares what the weather is like?
And again, not sure why you are trying to argue my so called ignorance on how cold these places are. I never argued that in the first place.
I'm not sure how many people take earthquakes into consideration when moving to Socal but I haven't met them. Seems a bit paranoid to having an earthquake as a major relocation factor.
Due to the infrequency of quakes, tornadoes and hurricanes, it is extremely laughable to include them in a risk factor when talking about upstate NY.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:43 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Having not been exposed to all sorts of weather in the entire country, I'm going to go by what I know. I very very much dislike extreme heat and humidity (or extreme lack of humidity - moisture is good for the skin), so Phoenix area or southeast probably would get my vote.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
You now seem to be making arguments against statements I never made in the first place. Take a step back and calm down.
Your posting of the links to worst weather cities proves what exactly? I am making the argument that it is silly to take into consideration earthquakes, tornadoes and hurricanes when trying to make the argument that upstate has the "worst" weather due to their infrequency. I clearly stated in another post that I agreed with the cold, snowy, cloudy weather.
In other posts I agreed what was contained in your links about the winter weather so not sure what you are trying to prove by posting those.
I never said you couldn't use examples but providing examples of areas that are sparsely populated doesn't really show much. Nobody lives there in the first place so who cares what the weather is like?
And again, not sure why you are trying to argue my so called ignorance on how cold these places are. I never argued that in the first place.
I'm not sure how many people take earthquakes into consideration when moving to Socal but I haven't met them. Seems a bit paranoid to having an earthquake as a major relocation factor.
Due to the infrequency of quakes, tornadoes and hurricanes, it is extremely laughable to include them in a risk factor when talking about upstate NY.

http://www.stargazette.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

Yeah, so rare there was an tornado warning just issued 45 minutes ago.

Quote:
The National Weather Service In Binghamton has issued a tornado warning for Southern Broome County and East Central Bradford County and Northwestern Susquehanna County in Pennsylvania until 8 p.m.
If you are in the path of this tornado, seek shelter in a basement or an interior room away from windows.

Youre wrong about the commonality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.