Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What part of the US has the worst weather?
the Northeast 61 10.66%
the Midwest 208 36.36%
the South 174 30.42%
the Rockies 14 2.45%
the Southwest 52 9.09%
the Pacific Northwest 45 7.87%
California 18 3.15%
Voters: 572. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 08:54 PM

331 posts, read 182,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
A lot of people in Miami had previously seen enough snow, changing leaves, diverse weather etc. to last two lifetimes. It's not a matter of not having experienced it, it's a matter of being sick of it commonly.
I grew up in Miami and when I was younger I always wanted to see snow. After a few trips up north I realize why most people prefer warmer weather. Yeah it's fun to go snowboarding but having to live in a place that regularly snows or even just frosts seems like it would be pretty annoying.

A few months ago I was in the Appalachians and got caught in a cold front where it got down to 9 degrees in a couple hours, my car key battery died so I had to manually open the door. it had rained earlier that day so the keyhole was covered by a block of ice. Took me 15 minutes trying to force it through until I broke the ice lol. Once I got in I could not for the life of me figure out how to defrost the windshield. My windshield wipers were stuck, the liquid wouldn't come up, and the defrost setting didn't do anything. And my side windows were stuck. I needed to get to my airbnb somehow so I decided to break the ice on my windshield with my bare hands... needless to say it was very painful. Eventually I had enough visibility to drive to my airbnb at like 5mph. I still feel lucky I didn't drive off the mountain. Maybe I'm just an idiot for being in that situation but you learn through failure

I can only imagine dealing with that multiple times a year. Sweating when you're outside for too long is not nearly as inconvenient lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2021, 08:57 PM

331 posts, read 182,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Those of us with fair hair and skin also have the desire to avoid sun and heat rooted in our evolutionary biology. Burns, heat exhaustion, and skin cancer are biological effects many of us naturally wish to avoid.
I mean hats and clothing exist. And you can get burned even when it's cold if you don't protect your skin

Old 05-26-2021, 09:02 PM

8,504 posts, read 4,747,409 times
Northeast. I hate winter and it’s physically painful for me (thanks, Raynaud syndrome https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud_syndrome). Winter is a major no-no for me. Midwest isn’t far behind, but at least it isn’t humid like those coastal Northeast locales. Ick to both.

The South isn’t far behind. Hot, HUMID, long summers followed by what aren’t really that mild winters.

But I’m just a whiny Californian; I kinda like knowing what’s coming without checking a forecast.

Last edited by jcp123; 05-26-2021 at 09:12 PM..

Old 05-26-2021, 10:28 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,762,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleebs View Post
I grew up in Miami and when I was younger I always wanted to see snow. After a few trips up north I realize why most people prefer warmer weather. Yeah it's fun to go snowboarding but having to live in a place that regularly snows or even just frosts seems like it would be pretty annoying.

A few months ago I was in the Appalachians and got caught in a cold front where it got down to 9 degrees in a couple hours, my car key battery died so I had to manually open the door. it had rained earlier that day so the keyhole was covered by a block of ice. Took me 15 minutes trying to force it through until I broke the ice lol. Once I got in I could not for the life of me figure out how to defrost the windshield. My windshield wipers were stuck, the liquid wouldn't come up, and the defrost setting didn't do anything. And my side windows were stuck. I needed to get to my airbnb somehow so I decided to break the ice on my windshield with my bare hands... needless to say it was very painful. Eventually I had enough visibility to drive to my airbnb at like 5mph. I still feel lucky I didn't drive off the mountain. Maybe I'm just an idiot for being in that situation but you learn through failure

I can only imagine dealing with that multiple times a year. Sweating when you're outside for too long is not nearly as inconvenient lol.
I currently live in Wisconsin and can honestly say I never deal with any of that. Winter isn't a setback here most of the time.
If you can mow a yard or rake leaves, you can shovel snow or push a snowblower. At least in the cold, you're not sweating your hiney off doing it.
A garage is a good thing to have anywhere. Here, it keeps the snow off, down south, it makes the car less likely to give you third degree burn on the palm of your hands.

Ice storms like the one described are a more of a lower midwest/upper south thing. I've lived in a similar area and no doubt it can be awful at times, but it's certainly not the everyday norm in those places. They can go a few years without seeing such an ice storm. When it happens, it's usually just that one time out of the whole year.

Old 05-26-2021, 10:38 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,762,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
It's just a preference for me, like I said I get why some people like a warm climate, I just like seasons. I don't get the desire though to never see snow, a beautiful cool fall/spring with beautiful changing leaf colors/foliage, and a diverse array of weather. I feel like a lot of people are missing out. Living solely in like Miami for example, where it pretty much never gets cold... yeah I just don't get it, but we're all different and prefer different things.
Yeah I can understand that people have differing tastes though it still seems kind of weird in a way.

I grew up in Arkansas where snow was kind of rare and fall colors were nonexistent and drab. After a taste of snow and the bright fall foliage, I'd seriously miss it now.
We've pondered the southwest to be closer to some family, but the idea of constant sunshine and going back to a hot part of the country seems intimidating and a bit depressing honestly.

Old 05-27-2021, 12:12 AM

6,811 posts, read 4,246,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Still, over a hundred million (or, is it more) in the US, don't seem to mind. Can't all be wrong.
People are born where they are born. I would have been OK staying in my hometown (annual average about the same as Boston) as well even though I dislike the climate. Then theres people who just move for career advancement or personal necessity (such as a man/woman they seek to be with). Im sure people exist who move to the Northeast or Upper Midwest because they like the climate but its a pretty small minority vs those heading South to get warm.

Old 05-27-2021, 04:08 AM

4,218 posts, read 2,459,291 times
The Mid-Atlantic region (VA, MD, DE, NJ, NYC) has the best climate IMO. I think the worst climate has to be a tie between the Southwest (AZ, TX, NV) and the upper Midwest (MN, WI, MI).

Old 05-27-2021, 04:52 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,522,132 times
PNW. The cool, damp, dank, cloudy, rainy, muddy climate is the most miserable in the U.S., IMO.

Old 05-27-2021, 05:09 AM

17,803 posts, read 13,703,655 times
I don't like places that are cold and snowy just because there are more hassles associated with it.

Everything from having to spend 15 minutes extra bundling up to having your car not start because of the cold or getting stuck in the snow. Having to get the snow and ice off your windshield every day. Shoveling the driveway.

Slipping on a patch of ice or having a car spew up some nice grimy semi frozen sludge on you as you are walking or running along with sidewalk.

Hot weather sucks but you can be a lot lazier living in it.

Old 05-27-2021, 05:54 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,363,210 times
It seems that every time I turn on the news, Texas and Louisiana have some sort of disaster going on, tornadoes, flooding. hurricanes. No thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.