Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 04:40 PM

181 posts, read 505,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
On the East Coast I've lived in upstate New York and NYC, while my sister was in Boston - so many visits there.

On the West Coast I've lived in Seattle & Olympia WA and LA and Sacramento CA.

I LOVED the east coast. Fascinating material history; a "you lead your life & I'll lead mine" attitude; easy public transportation.

I HATED the west coast. Ticky Tacky architecture; a "comparing me versus you" attitude; terrible public transportation.

I live in the Midwest now, and would not choose to go back to live on either coast. But if I HAD to - NYC or Boston here I come!
I agree, as a native LA person. SoCal is UGLY architecture-wise. And the laid-back and beachy lifestyle thing is mostly a stereotype. People work their butts off out here, very long hours. Then they sit in traffic for a few more hours...there is very little time left over to have the dream social lifestyle. Besides, we are too isolated (mostly thanks to living in our cars, traffic making it impossible to see friends on the opposite end of town) so we are a bunch of unhappy, lonely people pretending to be "living the life" because god forbid you show an attitude that is less than positive out here. Upper west coast (San Fran to Seattle) is different, and much nicer. More East Coasty, I would think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 05:43 PM

774 posts, read 1,693,161 times
Quote:
SoCal is UGLY architecture-wise.
Actually, that's one thing that's amazed me about the Bay Area. Unbelievably shoddy housing stock, in all but the absolute most expensive neighborhoods (and even there sometimes!). I always figured it was the land prices--no money left over for architecture. But I'm not so sure. Maybe it's because everyone knows they'll have to rebuild everything the next time the ground shakes.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:51 PM

27,549 posts, read 28,636,675 times
It's good to see I'm not the only one who isn't all that impressed by SF's residential architecture. I think it's alright, but some people act like it's the most beautiful breathtaking architecture they've seen, which is just silly. It's kind of monotonous, actually.

I much prefer the residential architecture in east coast cities and other places. It's much more varied and interesting.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:06 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,236,297 times
Different strokes for different folks. I love SF architecture. LA is home to virtually every conceivable historic style of architecture. I love it.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:20 AM

59 posts, read 49,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncalifornian girl View Post
I agree, as a native LA person. SoCal is UGLY architecture-wise. And the laid-back and beachy lifestyle thing is mostly a stereotype. People work their butts off out here, very long hours. Then they sit in traffic for a few more hours...there is very little time left over to have the dream social lifestyle. Besides, we are too isolated (mostly thanks to living in our cars, traffic making it impossible to see friends on the opposite end of town) so we are a bunch of unhappy, lonely people pretending to be "living the life" because god forbid you show an attitude that is less than positive out here. Upper west coast (San Fran to Seattle) is different, and much nicer. More East Coasty, I would think.
San Fran to Seattle is nothing like the East Coast. People nowhere out east are not even close to being that pretentious, self righteous, and big headed. The east is quite simply more down to earth than the west. The west as a whole has this very snobby "my poop doesn't stink" attitude. Lots of pseudo intellectuals and lots of ignorant people that think everyone else is ignorant because they have never left there bubble. The west is also in denial about the extreme racism and classism there. In 2012 Georgia could never dream of having the racial issues that California or Colorado have that they are in complete denial about.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:42 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAYAYO View Post
San Fran to Seattle is nothing like the East Coast. People nowhere out east are not even close to being that pretentious, self righteous, and big headed. The east is quite simply more down to earth than the west. The west as a whole has this very snobby "my poop doesn't stink" attitude. Lots of pseudo intellectuals and lots of ignorant people that think everyone else is ignorant because they have never left there bubble. The west is also in denial about the extreme racism and classism there. In 2012 Georgia could never dream of having the racial issues that California or Colorado have that they are in complete denial about.
Because the wealth gap is very narrow, the middle class is very well off, the mentality is so live-and-let-live, the social environment is very laid back, and the people are oh-just-so clamoring to have black people as neighbors, friends, and in-laws on the East Coast.

Gimmie a break. And as far as "racism", there's a reason why cities like Atlanta, DC, and NYC needed (and still needs) a Black Mecca while places like Seattle, Denver, and Vegas didn't/don't. And as for SF and LA's racist BS, you can than your East Coast, Deep South, and Midwestern capetbagging brethren for that.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:46 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,647,878 times
Quote:
Yes, if you show an attitude that is less than positive, people do not like that in the west, or, maybe, ignore it. On the East coast, however, they turn being less than positive into an art form! Extremes both ways.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:23 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times
Been all up and down the East Coast. Lived in Atlanta for 20 years, spent a lot of time in DC. Visited NYC, Virgnia, and a lot of southern states. I currently live in Seattle, and while many things are better, it's definitely not home.

The biggest thing I hate about East Coast is that nearly everyone on the East Coast is very rude and arrogant. From Atlanta, to Miami, to NYC, to Philly, and ESPECIALLY DC. Everyone has a huge stick up their ass. And in terms of racial diversity, how about racial competition. It's common practice to see large elitist groups from every race. From black, to white, to Asian, Indian. There is an elite racial class throughout the entire east coast. It MAY exist on the West Coast, but it sure as hell is less noticeable.

One thing I noticed out west is that people seem more dressed down. People kind of come out the house looking like anything, and sometimes smelling like anything. Sure you have you slouches on the East Coast, but nothing like on the West Coast. And the office enviroments are way more laid back. I came to the office with my slacks, black dress shoes, and button up shirts. People look at me like I'm weird. everyone is wearing shorts.

One of the best things about the West Coast is that the corporate culture seems a lot less cut throat. People are also chattier in offices. And for the most part, a lot of people on the West Coast seem to be in jobs they love to do. On the EAst Coast, you get a job making over 50k, your ass better be coming to work in some luxury car or SUV. It don't have to be the best Infinity, Mercedes, or BMW model, but your ass better be showing up to work in one.

On the West Coast, no matter what your salary is, don't be surprised if people come up to work in a Camry or a Honda. I'm dead serious. Any of my bosses have made over 6 figures, and they have nothing less than a Lexus in the parking lot. My current boss on the West Coast takes public transportation into work. Completely unheard of in the East.

People are a lot easier to come up to and have conversations with on the West. They seem less stuck up, and more polite. I'd imagine much of the West Coast is overall friendlier. I'm in Seattle where the common view from other parts of the West Coast is that they are rude. But they are tons better than Atlanta, which is a friendlier east coast city, but a hell of a lot ruder than any place on the west coast.

I also think people on the West Coast know how to actually party. Go to any club in DC or Atlanta, and see a bunch of people against the wall trying to look cute. You basically have to go to the worst hole in the wall ghetto fabulus/white trash club to see people let loose on the East Coast. On the West Coast, people are very fun in clubs, and it's very easy to mingle and chat with folks.

The main benefit of the East Coast is that people seem to want to get stuff done. I can tell you, Seattle really annoys me with their "ah, it's no big deal, I'll take care of it later" attitude. Even in a corporate paradise like seattle, which is quite busy, people don't really seem in much of a rush. Everyone pretty much take their time doing anything.

Overall if I had my choice or East Coast vs. West Coast, I'd choose East Coast. While I do enjoy the West Coast, it seems more like a vacation destination than a place to live. If I ever make it back out east, I can't see myself ever coming out west again. Truth be told, despite the rudeness of East Coast people, it's basically what I know and understand. I really don't know or can't see where West Coast people are coming from. They simply make no sense to me. East Coast seems much more logical.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:54 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Different strokes for different folks. I love SF architecture. LA is home to virtually every conceivable historic style of architecture. I love it.
Yeah, EC architecture is brown, brown, brown...and then more brown thrown in. Some grey sprinkled on top of the brown. It's dreary and overrated.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:02 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
Next time you feel like projecting your L.A. experience onto the rest of us---don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.