Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In my mind:
Washington, D.C. is associated with Maryland and Virginia 55 69.62%
Washington, D.C. is completely separate entity from Maryland and Virginia 24 30.38%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 10:18 AM

581 posts, read 968,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
DC + Maryland suburbs of DC + Virginia suburbs of DC = 1st group

Rest of Maryland + Rest of Virginia = 2nd group

Is this correct?
Yes, that's about how I think of it. I don't think of Maryland as being any different than Virginia or Virginia being any different from Maryland, but DC as being different from the two.

I have lived in both Maryland and Virginia and people in both states would be offended if someone implied that DC or and their state was the same thing.

DC is effects both states, but I think of it as separate and it is usually treated as such in MD and VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 10:09 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I became very much aware of how linked the two states are to DC when riding the metro trains and seeing a Welcome to Virginia sign in the first station after crossing the Potomac (I've never had that experience elsewhere). The airports, Capital Beltway, wealthy suburbs, a large number of cosmopolitan edge cities, the Pentagon, Arlington Cemetary, NSA, Andrews AFB, Camp David, all closely associated to Washington and even called as Washington yet all in Maryland and Virginia.
All good observations. I was wondering how well this connection was perceived in the rest of the country.

Also, the economies of Maryland and Virginia are significantly boosted by their associations with Washington, D.C. For example, northern Virginia (D.C. area) is practically the economic engine of Virginia.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 07-15-2012 at 10:25 AM..

Old 07-15-2012, 11:21 AM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
I kind of associate it more with Maryland because if it wasn't the seat of federal government and was just a regular place it would be part of Maryland since it is basically cut out of Maryland.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:47 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I associate DC with Virginia. Not so much Maryland.
Why? To get from DC to VA, you cross a bridge over water in all cases. To get from DC to Maryland, you just need to cross a street in most cases no bridges.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:54 AM

12 posts, read 27,761 times
Both but i think maryland is impacted alot more because its smaller than virgina

Old 07-15-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js9494 View Post
Both but i think maryland is impacted alot more because its smaller than virgina
Very true. Maryland has been affected by DC to the point where many see the DC culture to be the dominant one (something the rest of Maryland gets annoyed with, you wouldn't believe the amount of times I've had to explain that I am not in fact from DC but from the apparently mythic land of real Maryland), while in VA Southern VA is still perceived to be dominant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Why? To get from DC to VA, you cross a bridge over water in all cases. To get from DC to Maryland, you just need to cross a street in most cases no bridges.
To many people I know the Beltway marks the entrance to DC, and works as an even greater boundary than the Potomac. When you cross from the rest of Maryland to inside the Beltway, there's a big difference. Cross the Potomac and there's really no change except another river being there, and there's so many rivers and bridges in Maryland you don't really notice them anymore.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
Very true. Maryland has been affected by DC to the point where many see the DC culture to be the dominant one (something the rest of Maryland gets annoyed with, you wouldn't believe the amount of times I've had to explain that I am not in fact from DC but from the apparently mythic land of real Maryland), while in VA Southern VA is still perceived to be dominant.
One thing in which DC seems to have an influence throughout Virginia is that Virginia is Redskins territory all the way to the North Carolina border.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
One thing in which DC seems to have an influence throughout Virginia is that Virginia is Redskins territory all the way to the North Carolina border.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I lived in southern Virginia and that was still redskins territory. Some of it even seeped into eastern NC form what I remember.

Maryland on the other hand is pretty evenly split, Redskins in the south, Ravens in the north, and Steelers in the west.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
I lived in southern Virginia and that was still redskins territory. Some of it even seeped into eastern NC form what I remember.

Maryland on the other hand is pretty evenly split, Redskins in the south, Ravens in the north, and Steelers in the west.
Yeah, Maryland is in an unusual situation because of the teams for DC, Baltimore and Pittsburgh. I grew up in Prince George's County and everybody there was a Redskins fan. Back then, I assumed that was the case throughout the state. But I later found out that people rooted for different teams depending on what county they were in.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:09 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I associate DC with Virginia. Not so much Maryland.

Same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.