Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 09:54 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,743,333 times

Advertisements

According to the study by the California State University at Chico, here are the best and worst educated metros in the United States.

Top 5

1. Raleigh-Durham, NC
2. Boston-Worcester-Lawrence, MA
3. San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, CA
4. Washington-Baltimore, DC-MD-VA-WV

Bottom 5

46. Northfolk-Viriginia Beach-New Port News, VA
47. Los Angeles-Riverside-Orange County, CA
48. Jacksonville, FL
49. San Antonio, TX
50. Las Vegas, NV

Smart in the Center -College Attainment

Top 5

1. New York-N. New Jersey, NY-NJ
2. Chicago-Gary, IL-IN-WI
3. Portland-Salem, OR-WA
4. San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, CA
5. Seattle-Tacoma, WA

Bottom 5

46. Indianapolis
48. Phoenix, AZ
49. San Antonio, TX
50. Las Vegas, NV

http://www.csuchico.edu/cedp/_ppt/20...cated%20Metros
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 01:48 PM

430 posts, read 1,394,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
According to the study by the California State University at Chico, here are the best and worst educated metros in the United States.

Top 5

1. Raleigh-Durham, NC

Bottom 5

46. Northfolk-Viriginia Beach-New Port News, VA
48. Jacksonville, FL
49. San Antonio, TX
50. Las Vegas, NV

Smart in the Center -College Attainment

Top 5

1. New York-N. New Jersey, NY-NJ
2. Chicago-Gary, IL-IN-WI
3. Portland-Salem, OR-WA
4. San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, CA
5. Seattle-Tacoma, WA

Bottom 5

46. Indianapolis
48. Phoenix, AZ
49. San Antonio, TX
50. Las Vegas, NV

http://www.csuchico.edu/cedp/_ppt/20...cated%20Metros
Good post, but I am sure that is only large metro areas 500,000+, -most metros are smaller than that and I know many have lower levils of college attainment then any of those on that list. -Emil.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:38 PM

124 posts, read 734,270 times
Blame Illegals!

Old 10-01-2007, 07:28 PM

Agreed. But thats not the main reason. Nowadays, young kids are no longer interested in math and science (blame the Hollywood culture). We are on the verge of losing the competitive edge to the emerging world powers like China & India, and that's a red herring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by investtt View Post
Blame Illegals!

Old 10-02-2007, 05:03 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
i wonder why norfolk-VA beach-Newport News finished so low?

Old 10-02-2007, 09:45 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,333,333 times
I wondered why VA Beach/Hampton Roads scored so low. I did some thinking about what I have seen in the 4 years I have been here compared to the Washington DC area.

I would take a guess and say that middle age to older adults are the most prominent age group. I would also say that the majority of that group were born and raised here. Over the last 20+ years there has been a huge housing boom in places that were mainly farmland. Alot of families were in farming 20-40 years ago. Not too many farming families went to college.....

Just looking at the people I work with, and live in my neighborhood - it seems they are just 'plain folk'. Hard working families that never went to college but had good jobs in blue collar industries or went straight to the military. I would say that overall this is not really a white-collar area where college degree's are manditory.

I have a 16 year old son and I do think that the area schools are trying harder to encourage the children to head to college. So much focus is on the SOL's now. In 10-20 years I think Hampton Roads will come out of the bottom of the list. As the rural areas get developed and newer housing is built in the more run down, older areas things will change.

Right now I am fine with that score! I like the laid back, country feel of Suffolk and Smithfield. Instead of skyscrapers, I can see cows and old guys wearing overalls any day of the week, yet still get my Starbucks in the morning!

Old 10-02-2007, 10:17 PM

I hope this will change in the future. Due to a rapid pace of today's global competition, a high school diploma cannot gurrantee a decent life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post

I would take a guess and say that middle age to older adults are the most prominent age group. I would also say that the majority of that group were born and raised here. Over the last 20+ years there has been a huge housing boom in places that were mainly farmland. Alot of families were in farming 20-40 years ago. Not too many farming families went to college.....

Old 10-03-2007, 06:26 PM

430 posts, read 1,394,415 times
Quote:
I hope this will change in the future. Due to a rapid pace of today's global competition, a high school diploma cannot gurrantee a decent life.
Corporate led globalization causes many problems. Over competitiveness, and status obsession/greed, along with the growing lack of rottenness and high geographic nobility, leads to loss of local culture, rising inequality, and ultimately distrust, more crime, and ultimately the decline and breakup of a country. I am fearful for the future of the U.S.

We need to protect our national sovereignty, be more protectionist, limit immigration, and stop launching imperialist wars against other countries. If we don't respect other countries sovereignty, we can hardly expect our own to be respected either. But than, most of the current political and economic elite in the U.S., and all too much of the public at large, in their actions if not ideology (shopping at Walmart for chinese made goods etc.) do not seem to respect the sovereignty of any nations.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:37 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:

Top 5

1. Raleigh-Durham, NC
I was little surprised that Minneapolis/St. Paul wasn't there, but I see you accidentally truncated your list:

Top 5
  • 1 Raleigh--Durham, NC 45.2%
  • 2 Boston--Worcester--Lawrence, MA 43.2%
  • 3 San Francisco--Oakland--San Jose, CA 41.3%
  • 4 Washington--Baltimore, DC--MD--VA--WV 40.9%
  • 5 Minneapolis--St. Paul, MN—WI 39.9%

Bottom 5
  • 46 Norfolk--Virginia Beach--Newport News, VA 23.8%
  • 47 Los Angeles--Riverside--Orange County, CA 23.0%
  • 48 Jacksonville, FL MSA 22.5%
  • 49 San Antonio, TX MSA 22.2%
  • 50 Las Vegas, NV--AZ MSA 16.3%

Old 10-04-2007, 02:41 PM

Yes, blame it on copy & paste

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I was little surprised that Minneapolis/St. Paul wasn't there, but I see you accidentally truncated your list:

Top 5
  • 1 Raleigh--Durham, NC 45.2%
  • 2 Boston--Worcester--Lawrence, MA 43.2%
  • 3 San Francisco--Oakland--San Jose, CA 41.3%
  • 4 Washington--Baltimore, DC--MD--VA--WV 40.9%
  • 5 Minneapolis--St. Paul, MN—WI 39.9%

Bottom 5
  • 46 Norfolk--Virginia Beach--Newport News, VA 23.8%
  • 47 Los Angeles--Riverside--Orange County, CA 23.0%
  • 48 Jacksonville, FL MSA 22.5%
  • 49 San Antonio, TX MSA 22.2%
  • 50 Las Vegas, NV--AZ MSA 16.3%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.