Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 05:26 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,031,505 times

Advertisements

I do and I think it's great. I mean I'm pro city but when it comes down to it, I just like being in my safe suburb (Carmel, IN) at the end of the day. I would say that I am in the minority here for doing so but in the majority with the general population. Of course I'd still live in the city but there seems to be this better way of life outside the city than inside. This is why I laugh when people tell me the inner city is a great place to raise a kid. I just tell them to look at Cleveland and St. Louis for proof...and actually I have no sympathy for cesspools like Cleveland and St. Louis because they sit back and let their cities are falling apart while at the same time wondering why the high growth areas like Nashville, Charlotte, and Houston are passing them up. I know it's subjective but it really is the quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 06:38 AM

404 posts, read 711,761 times
I live in a sub of Chicago and I can't stand the place. I have a more rual, slower mindset. Not that I'm just plain stupid, I like to stay at or below the speed limit, keep a nice buffer zone between me and the car in front of me, and try not to stop. See that red light up ahead. if you slow down and wait for the light to change and traffic to get going you won't waste gas by stopping.

Even my job is laid back. Yes. I can get into the rushed feeling when I'm delivering a pizza on the weekends, or during Monday Night Football, but it's a decent paying job when you find the right place.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:07 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,314,867 times
The distinction between "suburb" and "city" isn't so black and white-- especially for large western cities like Phoenix. Phoenix is a huge city that includes many of its own "suburbs" within the city limits. Over time, areas that were once as "suburban as can be" become more built out, more traffic, more crime, more accessible to public transportation and bus service, more people walking and bicycling on the sidewalks of big arterials, more interesting local businesses and ethnic restaurants moving into old strip malls, redevelopment projects, etc. Basically, they end up becoming urban in "function"-- even if they still have a suburban "form."

Old 08-06-2007, 09:12 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Hard to say. Ive never lived in Chicago, but I love its massive amounts of energy, which you dont get out in the suburbs, and I could totally see myself living there. But Im also a nature lover, so the suburbs naturally offer me much more in that department. I love living in the burbs, but Id also love living in the city. Either way Id be 100% happy.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:27 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,609,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I would say that I am in the minority here
I'm pro city and I feel like a minority a lot of times here. Sometimes this site feels more pro-rural than anything else and anti-any development, whether it be suburban or urban.

Last edited by matt345; 08-06-2007 at 09:35 AM..

Old 08-06-2007, 02:50 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,485,615 times
I think there are people that are city oriented and feel their best in a city and that is wonderful. Personally I have chosen to live in a rural area and will probably the rest of my life. We had the choice of living in cities and making more money, which would have made our life easier in at least a financial way, but chose not to. I lived up to age 28 in a city and it ate away at me and my health. It was by accident I happened to be invited to a wedding of an old friend in Idaho. I knew this was where I needed to be. I stayed 2 weeks, and went home to CA for 6 weeks to pack and wind things up. I shipped half my stuff, brought the rest in my car and have never once regretted it. The city needs the people that love it and thrive on it just as much as the rural settings do, no one is better than the other.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:55 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,878,450 times
When I was in my 20's, I would have loved the chance to live in a big city with all the energy that goes with that lifestyle.

Now Im in my 40's and prefer a much quieter, slower pace of life.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:10 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,918,218 times
Now, as a college student, I want to live in the center of the city where things are at their quickest. But I havno intention of living there all my life. Whenever I have kids I'm moving to the burbs quicker than you can say cul-de-sac.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:13 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,026,866 times
READ>>I grew up in the suburbs and though my childhood was far from horrid it wasn't happy either. My memories consist of neatly trimmed lawns, aloof/two faced neighbors who have perfected the art of deception while smiling pretending to be your best friend. The kids were bored out of their minds and had nothing to do but maybe go play baseball (again) at the local park about 7 blocks away. You had these silly block parties where you were forced in to getting to know people as opposed to let it happen naturally. Suddenly, conflicts and disagreements began to surface and there were no more "come over for dinners" now it's stay away type of an attitude. Kids would engage in criminal behavior "far more" than any child in the city. Just because "Johnny" looks cute and dress nicely doesn't mean he won't kill you in a heartbeat. Worst of all there was no culutre, no diversity, complete boredom and the only thing to keep you company are the walls in your house. Now, if this isn't hell I don't know what is. You couldn't pay me enough to live in the suburbs, never, no chance in hell would I subject myself to that kind of a life. You can have a far more rewarding life by raising your family in the city. You have access to everything outside of your door and when you're home you're home with the door closed. Let's be honest here people move to the suburbs for one of two reasons 1) Get away from people 2)lower housing prices. First, you're far better off getting lost around large numbers of people as opposed to living in a small community where everyone makes it their business to know your business. The housing prices may be lower but is that worth being stuck in the middle of nothingness.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:16 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
READ>>I grew up in the suburbs and though my childhood was far from horrid it wasn't happy either. My memories consist of neatly trimmed lawns, aloof/two faced neighbors who have perfected the art of deception while smiling pretending to be your best friend. The kids were bored out of their minds and had nothing to do but maybe go play baseball (again) at the local park about 7 blocks away. You had these silly block parties where you were forced in to getting to know people as opposed to let it happen naturally. Suddenly, conflicts and disagreements began to surface and there were no more "come over for dinners" now it's stay away type of an attitude. Kids would engage in criminal behavior "far more" than any child in the city. Just because "Johnny" looks cute and dress nicely doesn't mean he won't kill you in a heartbeat. Worst of all there was no culutre, no diversity, complete boredom and the only thing to keep you company are the walls in your house. Now, if this isn't hell I don't know what is. You couldn't pay me enough to live in the suburbs, never, no chance in hell would I subject myself to that kind of a life. You can have a far more rewarding life by raising your family in the city. You have access to everything outside of your door and when you're home you're home with the door closed. Let's be honest here people move to the suburbs for one of two reasons 1) Get away from people 2)lower housing prices. First, you're far better off getting lost around large numbers of people as opposed to living in a small community where everyone makes it their business to know your business. The housing prices may be lower but is that worth being stuck in the middle of nothingness.

Marry me??!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.