Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,710 times

Advertisements

I am a 25 year old Marine. I am about to get out of the military after almost 8 years. I plan on starting college for the first time. All of my school is paid for and rent will all be paid by the military, so rent shoudlnt be to big of a problem. At the same time I'm not trying to break the bank to live. I have moved around alot ( 16 times) in the last 8 years, most stateside, but some overseas. I enjoyed alot of them, and didnt like others so much. Right now I'm looking for a place I can enjoy for atleast my college years, maybe longer. I am a big fan of the outdoors. I like it all, mountains, ocean, snow, sand, bike trails. I also enjoy indoor activities like the gym, indoor rock climbing etc.. I like being around active and healthy people, and also enjoy a very diverse population.

Even though I am a little older then alot of beginning college students, I still love the nightlife. I'm getting a little more into to bars now then the whole club scene but I like them both. I also really enjoy live performance, and going to plays, stand up comedy shows and alot of other types of theatre. Even though I was in the military, I consider myself pretty open minded and carefree. Liberal, but definetly not a hippie. I am really just loooking for a city that can keep my interest, and keep me entertained and busy for the next 3 or 4 years, yet still give me the calm I need to get my life back on the normal civilian track again. Also schools. I want a community college first to get back in the swing of things but want a good university close by. Well people, let me know what you got

Last edited by Bo; 02-02-2009 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: Updated title to make thread easier to find with search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 09:27 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,613,376 times
Madison, WI.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:35 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Knoxville, Tennessee

Home to Pellissippi State Community College and the University of Tennessee. Six large lakes are within a half-hour of the city, and the Great Smoky Mountains are next door. The Appalachian Trail is about an hour away.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:20 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,717,521 times
You and Boulder, CO would get along like a house on fire.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:47 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Athens, Georgia.

College town. Not huge in itself, but a neat downtown area filled with restaurants and funky shops and a few clubs. Close enough to the North Georgia mountains that you can take day drips for hiking, biking, water stuff, etc. Only 1.5 hours from Atlanta so if you want "big city stuff" it's there, too. Four distinct seasons but Winters are mostly mild and shorter.

Athens Georgia travel, vacations, events, hotels, live music, tours, tourism and attractions

Athens, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Athens - Clarke County Guide | Your Portal to Athens GA (Georgia)

Old 02-03-2009, 11:40 AM

117 posts, read 394,616 times
minneapolis-St. Paul

Old 02-03-2009, 05:09 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Syracuse, NY
Onondaga Community College

Le Moyne. Spirit. Inquiry. Leadership. Jesuit

Syracuse University

Greater University HillÂ* — Syracuse, New York

University Hill, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Westcott, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Westcott Street Cultural Fair

University Hill Corporation (http://www.university-hill.com/Perspective/housing.html - broken link)

Welcome to The Westcott

Armory Square :: Official Website for Historic Downtown Syracuse, NY

Downtown Syracuse

City of Syracuse

Syracuse Stage - The Professional Theatre of Central New York (owned by Syracuse University)

Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau

It is surrounded by many ski spots, the Adirondacks are within an hour or so, the Finger Lakes are also within an hour, Lake Ontario is within 45 minutes and much more.

Here's the city where I graduated from college from and the surrounding area:The Official Web Site of the City of Oswego

Oswego, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oswego County Tourism Home Page

State University of New York at Oswego

Another nearby city you might like and is smaller, but still cosmopolitan:
Ithaca

Complete guide to Ithaca, NY hotels, attractions, dining, shopping and recreation with maps and driving directions. The official web site of Ithaca, New York and Tompkins County Convention and Visitors Bureau in the Finger Lakes.

Ithaca, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY

Cornell University

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/14/gr.../14havens.html

TC3 - Tompkins Cortland Community College

Ithaca's Smart Monkey Cafe - Home

The Chapter House Brew Pub - Ithaca, New York

The Nines in Ithaca, NY

Castaways of Ithaca, Tompkins County's Home for Live Music

Denied:1up! Software ()

State of the Art Gallery » Home

Ithaca Downtown Partnership: Downtown Ithaca

14850 Online: Welcome to Downtown Ithaca

and much more. I hope this helps.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:11 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,833 times
Portland, OR
Eugene, OR
Seattle, WA

Old 02-03-2009, 05:26 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
San Diego would be a good option to check out. Lots of community colleges in the region and there are four major Universities to choose from, 3 are public and one is private, and a couple of smaller ones too. University of CA San Diego is one of the highest ranked public universities and in the Top 50 of all public and private universities overall.

SD has a very outdoors type lifestyle here b/c of the great year round weather, near the coast its rarely ever too hot or too cold. Temps stay between 65-80 year round, a bit warmer if you go inland. But if you like seasons then you won't like SD's weather, it's very mild and monotonous throughout the year. Sunny and 72 degrees is probably the best way to describe the climate here.

Lots of outdoor activities to do and it literally has it all for the most part; beaches, ocean, lakes, mountains, snow, desert, etc.... Ski resorts are about 2.5 hours away from the beach but it does snow within 45-60 minutes of the city several times a year. Great surfing with a very distinct local beach/surf culture too. B/c of the weather and all the places to go spend time outdoors here year round, people are very active and fit overall. You kind of have to be an outdoors type person to truly enjoy what San Diego has to offer.

Lots of college kids and ones older too that still go out and party, so you won't have any problems meeting people your age and with your interests. LOTS of military here too, especially Marines, so that might make it easier to find other people just like you.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:36 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,682,777 times
I agree with San Diego and also Long beach if you enjoy beach activites and lots of healthy,goodlooking people close to many universities including its own and being centrally located between LA,Orange County and San Diego..(this was my choice anyways haha)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.