Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2007, 09:03 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times

Advertisements

Favorites:

New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Pennsylvania

Least Favorites:

California

Im a mid-atlantic guy.....love cities with crime, 4 seasons, hispanic population (not mexican), and overall diversity.

The states I hate are usually California...because the people there think there **** dont stink.

Also the south.....too much pride for no apparent reason

I dont have nothing against the states themselves.....just the people who reside in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 11:39 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Fave is Maine, not so fave is SoCal.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:14 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
I'm sorry about your experience in those states.

I find people in those states to be very friendly and found them very undreary.
Well, that's the problem with questions like this. Nobody has lived in all 50 states, so the only way to really pick your least favorite of the 50 is to pick a place you've travelled through. People are likely to pick a place they've had limited exposure to... because if the first exposure is negative, why would you travel there again?

So, everyone's experiences are going to be different.

OTOH, comments from people like you and Billam might convince a few of us to give a place a second try. I might just take a look at North Dakota again someday... if I'm ever out that way.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:02 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Because Oklahoma is by far the ugliest state as far as landscape goes, and outside of Tulsa, there is absolutely nothing exciting about it. Oklahoma is the ugliest and most boring state I've ever driven through. Even Kansas is more interesting. Oklahoma is just ugly, never-ending pasteurland. Nothing grows there...it's just miles of flat, boring country. As my father put it, "Hell on earth."
aj, everytime I see one of your posts about a city or state you are always bashing Oklahoma. I like Tulsa, but there is ALOT of scenery outside of Tulsa to be seen as well, as in the Ouachita Mountains and Ozark Plateau in Northeastern Oklahoma. You've obviously driven only on the Interestates.

BTW, the Ouachita Mountains in SE Oklahoma, which cover an area about 2/3rds the size of Vermont, are much more rugged and prominent than the Ozarks of Southern Missouri.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:34 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
aj, everytime I see one of your posts about a city or state you are always bashing Oklahoma. I like Tulsa, but there is ALOT of scenery outside of Tulsa to be seen as well, as in the Ouachita Mountains and Ozark Plateau in Northeastern Oklahoma. You've obviously driven only on the Interestates.

BTW, the Ouachita Mountains in SE Oklahoma, which cover an area about 2/3rds the size of Vermont, are much more rugged and prominent than the Ozarks of Southern Missouri.
Id agree. Oklahoma is very beautiful in several areas. I have a strange infatuation with OK and northern TX (Amarillo area) for some reason. Anyways, OK has mesas, mountains, flatlands, prairies, etc, etc. Its incredibly diverse and beautiful if you ask me.

I had posted some pics I found of OK awhile back, they can be viewed at the bottom of this page (for all those people who think all of Oklahoma is ugly):http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

Old 12-11-2007, 12:29 PM

Thanks Steve-O; those are great pictures. Oklahoma is one of the most diverse states in the country. It's only one of four states with 10+ ecoregions, and if I recall correctly those states are all MUCH larger than Oklahoma.

If people drive I-35 and the majority of I-40, which cross the state N to S and E to W, they aren't seeing 97 percent of the Oklahoma that I and others know.

More pics:

Ouachita Mountains.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bf/Talimenavista1.jpg (broken link)

http://oklahomaphotography.com/mount.../talimena1.jpg

And in the Southwestern Part of the state, are the Wichita Mountains.

Beaver Dunes in NW Oklahoma:

Little Sahara:

Black Mesa (Northwest)

Arbuckle Mountains (South Central)

Last edited by Synopsis; 12-11-2007 at 02:28 PM..

Old 12-11-2007, 01:40 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Great pics! I forgot about the Wichita and Arbuckle mountains, theyre nice as well. If it werent for all the tornadoes, I wouldnt mind living in OK, specifically on the far western edge of the panhandle.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Great pics! I forgot about the Wichita and Arbuckle mountains, theyre nice as well. If it werent for all the tornadoes, I wouldnt mind living in OK, specifically on the far western edge of the panhandle.
I kind of like that area as well. It's remote, probably one of the most remote areas of the country that isn't high in the Sierra Nevadas, Rocky Mountains, or Arizona/New Mexico desert. The weather is very cold in the winter, but summers are cooler and low humidity. Actually I think a pic of yours in that thread had one of Mt. Scott, which if I recall correctly is in the Wichita Mountains.

If you like the Amarillo area in Texas you should really visit Palo Duro Canyon, it's spectacular.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
BTW, the tornado thing is waaaay over-rated. I was born, raised, and have lived the majority of my life there (in my late 40s) and I have never seen a tornado. I've been near some areas where they have been spotted but never have seen one live. You have a better chance of getting struck by lightening or being killed in an airplane crash than being killed by a tornado in Oklahoma.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:55 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
yep! great photos! although Hawaii is one of those states and its much smaller than OK
but still, awesome photos of what i think is an underrated state!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.