Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 02:13 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I've been to the Northeast, and the people there are not nearly as big of douchebags as you make them out to be.
I find people who need to stereotype either have Aspergers Syndrome (Spel?) or are not very smart and need to resort to stereotypes to feel good about themselves. Someone who is really intelligent understands that regardless of region, people are people, the majority are decent with a few douchebags thrown in.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:23 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
OY VEY

Longest first post in any thread ever. Too tedious to read through
Someone has too much time.. and needs employment.
Yes.
Regardless of content, the OP needs to make his point in a more succinct manner. The original post was way too tedious to read from beginning to end.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:53 PM

581 posts, read 969,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I'm not sure what's left to debate about Maryland being Northern or Southern. There are very few arguments today one can use to effectively group even 50% of the state into the south. in terms of dialect, culture, demographics, industry, politics, etc., Maryland fails almost every single "southern" test. You would never know most of it was the south if you didn't know its history.
I was just joking, because this would place the Maryland I know solidly in the Midwest (I did unfortunately see a map which had classified it as "Great Lakes Region"...) No need to get worked up on a poor attempt at continuing the semi-jocular manner of the OP.

As for the actual argument, it's been made quite clear in the past that we weight the importance of various aspects differently, you have different criteria for defining a place, and we have an entirely different definition of Mid-Atlantic. We'd probably agree on all the facts, data, and individual regions, but disagree on what the final result meant.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:53 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Could be, and probably is, that you're not nearly as good at "detecting pretend niceness" as you think you are. You think you can, because it gives you a reason to dismiss the real, genuine niceness of Midwesterners, but you really can't.
It's probably also true that, although he obviously considers Midwesterners to be little more than dumb country bumpkins too unsophisticated to understand subtlety, in all likelihood he puts most people off just by his actions. Perhaps he really thinks they just can't figure it out, but the "pretend niceness" he's assuming is so widespread is just a reaction to people just not liking him.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:09 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Yes.
Regardless of content, the OP needs to make his point in a more succinct manner. The original post was way too tedious to read from beginning to end.

Everything the OP said could've been summarized in a few short paragraphs or sentences.

mas23

Old 07-21-2012, 08:26 AM

16 posts, read 63,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Perhaps he really thinks they just can't figure it out, but the "pretend niceness" he's assuming is so widespread is just a reaction to people just not liking him.
How the h*ll do you know? I just thanked you for a thought-provoking post earlier, and then your next post is mean-spirited.

This is why I don't like Columbus.

We have another concept where I come from too- you don't kick a man when he's down. I retracted what I said earlier, and making an effort to understand the subtlety extant in the Midwest. And then, when you think I've left the thread, you begin to talk trash.

If you have a problem with what I said, address me directly. Why do you refer to me as "he" as if I'm not reading? I consider that cowardly.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:06 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephconrad View Post
How the h*ll do you know? I just thanked you for a thought-provoking post earlier, and then your next post is mean-spirited.

This is why I don't like Columbus.

We have another concept where I come from too- you don't kick a man when he's down. I retracted what I said earlier, and making an effort to understand the subtlety extant in the Midwest. And then, when you think I've left the thread, you begin to talk trash.

If you have a problem with what I said, address me directly. Why do you refer to me as "he" as if I'm not reading? I consider that cowardly.
You just wrote a long-winded essay insulting everyone in Columbus and the Midwest and you're wondering why some people might have an issue with it? Come on. This can't be a surprise. You made wild assumptions and relied 100% on stereotypes of people, the vast vast majority of which you had no contact with. So you have no right to stand on your moral outrage soapbox now and complain about someone being unfair to you after you just did it to millions.

I didn't see a retraction. And I didn't think you had left the thread, I was responding to someone else. There's a difference. Oh, and saying things like, "This is why I don't like Columbus" isn't helping either. One person on an internet forum should not be a determining factor in how you see an entire city. You're just falling back on your willingness to judge everyone.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:21 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
This thread has run its course. Time to shut it down.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.