Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 04:10 PM

177 posts, read 272,728 times

Advertisements

boston/new jersey.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:27 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
My mother and grandmother add an extra 'r' in wash. So it sounds like warsh of Warshington DC. Is there any area of the country known for that?
That's so freakin' annoying. I know someone from Ohio who speaks like that.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:04 PM

148 posts, read 237,157 times
Default yes i have heard that before

when i was younger i had voulunteered to work in a county building over the summer, and i helped the janitor crew clean up. wow did the head guy have that extra R in certain words like warrshroom or when he'd tell me to go warsh up in the warshroom. didnt hate it, just noticed it and thought it was kinda interesting. not sure if that was a chicago thing. i know that alot of bears fans here call where the bears play soldierss field, not soldier field. maybe thats it adding extra sss's - youss know whadd im talkin 'bout?? and another thing i hear too is the adding of "yo" or other words like "finna" - mmm idk if thats neccessarily a chi thing, but im finna find dat out jo - no sp error. ive heard yo said like joe... lol variation of spoken language is fascinating. i had a friend from berlin stop through on her visit to the usa, and she noticed all 3 distinct accents from nyc la and chi right away. she also commented people from the chi tend to talk too fast and jumble some syllables together makin it hard to understand. lol i didnt see what she was talkin about till i got back from out of town... but i cannot stand the substitution of f for th.... bof instead of both or mouf instead of mouth....another thing... anybody elses accent come out really pronounced when you get mad? lol saw this happen with a girl i met before. she wasnt from nyc but im guessin her family once was... LOL you should see my family in the phillipines when i try to speak tagalog with an american chicago accent. lol they laugh at me for days....

Old 07-30-2012, 07:20 PM

372 posts, read 462,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cold View Post
I lived in southwestern PA, near Pittsburgh for over 20 years. Some people there have a very strong accent and it always got on my nerves. - Jawn, when yinz git back, git me some of them flahrs up on the he-ill.
I was thinking that when I read this thread, the whole yinz thing can go. Worst accent though would be some of those strong southern drawls. I can't tell you how many times when I was in Mississippi I was told to slow down because I talked to fast, and then they would talk and it sounded Russian to me.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:22 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,773,460 times
Why does everyone hate on the NJ accent? I find it only annoying among the older generations.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:06 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,378,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Isn't that just a stereotype.. ? I don't think that really exists.
No, a lot of women actually talk like that. It's mind boggling.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:06 PM

181 posts, read 504,072 times
Take it away, Moon Unit!!!

Moon Unit Zappa Valley Girls - YouTube

Old 07-30-2012, 09:12 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,378,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
Anything from the northeast annoys me.......and I'm from the n.e. Probably wouldn't bother me if it were not for the fact that so many Floridians are from there so I'm hearing these over accentuated accents day in and day out. I'm pretty certain their accents have gotten worse once they've moved here. It's a phenomena in these parts Anyway, I had to laugh at the gravely voice YouTube video. I have also wondered about that recent trend of the "so...yeah". Thought I was the only one. It's funny how we notice little things about people's voices- from tone and cadence to accents and impediments. I used to work with a speech therapist at a clinic and we would have the most interesting conversations about this.
I don't know, I actually like the accents in the northeast. I lived in MA for a year and grew quite fond of the accents. Some people spoke too harshly, but it gave the area another aspect of charm & depth that is lacking in other places.....because it's one of the oldest parts of the new world. Some of the pronunciations still have traces of British in there from the early settlers; quite fascinating.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:51 PM

581 posts, read 962,354 times
The best accent is much easier to identify: the one found in Tidewater Virginia and Maryland south of the Bay Bridge.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:56 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,833,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
My mother and grandmother add an extra 'r' in wash. So it sounds like warsh of Warshington DC. Is there any area of the country known for that?
I feel like that might be a Philadelphia thing because I do that a bit and my grandmother definitely did that (and she's never lived anywhere but Philly). I actually have things I wrote when I was in 1st, 2nd and 3rd Grade and "warsh" is one of my misspellings (along with "R" for "Our.")

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK this is a word, not an accent, but I didn't realize till I moved to Texas, that some people actually think this is correct:

"You wanna help me move this chester drawers?" I mean, if you see an ad in the paper for used furniture, it often says, "One small chester drawer."

SHUT UP!!!!!!

Oh wait - it's not just in Texas apparently - go to eBay and type in "chester drawers" and about a brazillion of them will come up. SHEEZE!

chester drawers | eBay

Of course, eBay politely asks, "Do you mean CHEST OF DRAWERS?"

Errr, yeah. They PROLLY do! (eek!)
My dad (grew up in the Boston area) always thought it was Chester Drawers (pronounced Chestah Draws). I guess to a Boston kid, Chest of Drawers and Cheser Drawers sounds the same.

Btw, it's common for kids to have trouble with accents (when adults can figure it out from context). A linguist was describing this father-son interaction in Philly. The dad was telling the kid to "Balance on the beam." But in Philadelphia, the "L" between two vowels gets swallowed (other consonants too; see: Walt Wi'min Bridge). So, while the dad was saying "ba'ance on the beam," the kid heard "Bounce on the beam." So, the kid got really excited and kept saying, "Bounce on the beam," while jumping up and down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.