Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 09:58 PM

581 posts, read 961,871 times

Advertisements

My family in the Covington area have that horrifying "warsh" thing.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:25 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,688,085 times
I hate the Yooper and Brooklyn/Jersey accent.

The California/Surfer Dude accent is god awful too. Until about 30 years ago, it was a very uncommon accent.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Ghetto English
Agreed.

To hear an unintelligent and inarticulate black person try to sound intelligent and articulate is like hearing nails scratch a chalkboard.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:33 PM

In any event, I probably just offended about 80% of the country.

I should leave this thread now.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:50 PM

774 posts, read 1,686,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
new york and boston accents bug me the most.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Boston or Brooklyn.
Yep yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Why does everyone think New Jersey has one accent?
Because they're not from NJ. For example, I'm from NC and can identify six distinct NC accents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
The Upper Midwestern/Sarah Palin whatever accent is like nails on a chalkboard to me.
Her accent is so annoying, it would sound stupid even if she said something smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

I also really like Virginia accents as well. They're an interesting mixture of Southern drawl with a slight hint of the British Isles.
You encountered an upper-class Virginian.

Quote:
The most interesting US accent to me is an authentic New Orleans accent.
I used to live there. There's nothing quite like it

Old 07-30-2012, 11:15 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,844,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
The best accent is much easier to identify: the one found in Tidewater Virginia and Maryland south of the Bay Bridge.
When I drove down to ocean city a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that people on the eastern shore didn't have much of an accent at all. I also talked to people born and raised on OC that didn't have an accent.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I feel like that might be a Philadelphia thing because I do that a bit and my grandmother definitely did that (and she's never lived anywhere but Philly). I actually have things I wrote when I was in 1st, 2nd and 3rd Grade and "warsh" is one of my misspellings (along with "R" for "Our.")

My dad (grew up in the Boston area) always thought it was Chester Drawers (pronounced Chestah Draws). I guess to a Boston kid, Chest of Drawers and Cheser Drawers sounds the same.

Btw, it's common for kids to have trouble with accents (when adults can figure it out from context). A linguist was describing this father-son interaction in Philly. The dad was telling the kid to "Balance on the beam." But in Philadelphia, the "L" between two vowels gets swallowed (other consonants too; see: Walt Wi'min Bridge). So, while the dad was saying "ba'ance on the beam," the kid heard "Bounce on the beam." So, the kid got really excited and kept saying, "Bounce on the beam," while jumping up and down.
Lol. White people say warsh here in Baltimore too. I grew up thinking it was called Cheser drawers also...

Old 07-30-2012, 11:28 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,832,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Lol. White people say warsh here in Baltimore too. I grew up thinking it was called Cheser drawers also...
Oh, when I said Philadelphia, I met Baltimore because there is some overlap (although not as much as some pretend).

Old 07-30-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Oh, when I said Philadelphia, I met Baltimore because there is some overlap (although not as much as some pretend).
There are differences, but the biggest differences are between black people from each city. In philly, "down there" sounds like "down ear", in Baltimore it sounds like "down air."

Old 07-31-2012, 12:19 AM

5,888 posts, read 12,940,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
new york and boston accents bug me the most. Only because when I hear them here in California, there's a good chance I am hearing it from someone who moved from there and is now making the traffic worse on my freeway and there's a good chance they'll wear their yankee or red sox cap at my Dodger Stadium or Angel Stadium while rooting against my home team.
My friend has a NY/Boston Hybrid accent..... Just horrible. The absolute worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.