Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 10:52 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by football45013 View Post
I live in Ohio, but there's a world of difference between the accent of Northern Ohioans and Southern Ohioans. The accent of those Northern Ohioans just drive me nuts, lol. Especially people from around the Cleveland area. As you can tell, I'm a Southern Ohioan. Southwest Ohio, in particular. Of course, the Northern Ohioans would probably say that we Southern Ohioans have a "twangy" accent, lol. It has always amazed me how the accent of people in the same state can be so different from one area to the next. I've always wondered why this is. Any linguists in the house, lol?
Ohio has the NCVS along the lakeshore, the 'Midland' accent over most of it, with the far Southeast (Ohio river valley) having a sort of Upland/Inland Southern dialect. It goes from Dixie to Yankee to Canada in a few hundred miles.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:55 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
ja1myn...lol, I grew up pronouncing it as awnt. I grew up in NH but was born in CT as well. If someone said ant, Id say how do you say the word "taunt"? When they said "tawnt", I would say ok now say it without the t. Thats one of those words that doesnt really bother me anymore though. Thats funny you mentioned that though.
I remember when I first heard Dorothy/Judy Garland calling out, 'Annie Em, Annie Em!' it sounded weird to my Australian ears. Here aunt rhymes with 'can't', which is said 'cahnt'.

Either way, i'm sure my aunt would not like to be compared to a tiny insect lol.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:56 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,767,637 times
Kansas

Old 08-14-2012, 07:59 PM

115 posts, read 118,556 times
Some aspects of the NY and NJ accents annoy me.

For example: Now is pronounced "Nay-ow", instead of "Nah-oo".

Down is pronounced "Day-oun" instead of "Dah-oon".

Sounds ****ing southern to me.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:33 AM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMotts View Post
Some aspects of the NY and NJ accents annoy me.

For example: Now is pronounced "Nay-ow", instead of "Nah-oo".

Down is pronounced "Day-oun" instead of "Dah-oon".

Sounds ****ing southern to me.

"Nay-ow"? In what part of NJ would someone say that? We say "NOW". One short, sharp word, one vowel sound. As a matter of fact, it's the same as "VOW" in "vowel". And where, pray tell, does ANYONE say "Nah-oo". for NOW?

Same with DOWN. It is ONE syllable!

Old 08-15-2012, 09:18 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times
^^^Lol I don't know one NYer who says those words like that either.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobCam View Post
Bayonne.

I was made fun of for saying "now" differently from someone from Bayonne.

There is actually a difference that is tough to explain online.

Its literally "NAoo" (NA-OO) vs. "Naiow" (Nai sound like the name Nancy... "Nai-ow")
OK, I can see where Bayonne might sound funny. I work with a few people from there. They say "yous" for more than one "you".

But that's hardly representative of NJ!

Old 08-15-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
They say "youse" in Upstate NY cities like Utica and Syracuse. Big deal. Its common in heavily Italian areas.

NA-OO.... sounding identical to "OW" basically

NY/NJ, theres more of an AAA sound at the beginning. Like how I used the name Nancy.

"Naaii-ow"
But I'm tellin' ya, I LIVE IN NEW JERSEY. Have all my life. 54 years. If anyone actually pronounces it that way, they are in the minority. It is NOW. Short. Clipped. One vowel sound. The same as if someone hits their hand with a hammer and yells, "OW!", but with an "n" in the beginning.

Except for a few cities in Hudson County and maybe some of Essex near Newark, there is no "NY/NJ" accent. New Yorkers speak differently from people in New Jersey.

I keep telling people that. I guess you'd have to actually visit NJ and travel a little further than Jersey City or Bayonne to discover this.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:27 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,651 times
I grew up in Southwest Virginia (defined by the VA tourism board as the "heart of appalachia) so the accent that i've always been saddled with is the Appalachian one. As mentioned in one of the earlier posts it is heavily rhotic and thick as all hell. We've also got a slew of words that you don't find anywhere else...buggy for shopping carts, cat head bisquits, gaum'n up a room, si-gogglin, and out'chender, haha. I've always loved my accent because it is very unique...maybe a little bothersome to some but it works for me. Now to the OP. IMO the most annoying accent is the accent you encounter in Minnesota. The whole don'cha know, Minnesoooota, you'bethca, hormel eatin' lakers up there just run all over me! They say that early intrepid minnesotans upon noticing that they had a lot of lakes started counting them just for the hell of it...saw quite a few and forgot what came after 20, so they just skipped to the highest number any of them had ever heard...10,000! I'll take my hollers and warshing my hair all day over that.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Um, I have. Went to Kean, lived in Somerset and Elizabeth, etc.

NY/NJ both do the same thing with this particular word im using.

Im not suggesting they have entirely same accents.
I can see Elizabeth, since that's urban and close to the city. Somerset, I don't know much about.

But no one I know who lived in Jersey all their life/is a native of Jersey pronounces "Now" or "Down" the way you claim. I guess we'll just have to disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.