Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 09:28 PM

130 posts, read 288,681 times

Advertisements

Southern accents by far!

Old 07-28-2013, 09:31 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,035,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy feet View Post
^ the nose and the mouth are closer than you think in relation to one other. You know when you close your nose and your voice sounds weird? It's because your open nose is needed to talk. It is another hole in which the air escapes when you talk. I would assume the nasal sound is caused from tight airways of the nose.

But my vote is the Boston accent, by far.
What sounds are Nasal?

New York , Boston and some southern accents sound nasal to me.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:04 PM

607 posts, read 1,363,106 times
Strong Southern accents. I don't like Boston accents that much, either, but I'd still prefer them over strong Southern ones.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:28 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,035,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koberaptor View Post
Southern accents by far!
There are many different southern accents and how they speak .The twang or strong Nasal is worse .

Even in house holds it not the same . Take the TV show here comes honey boo boo the mom ,dad and little kid have stronger accents!! And yes some times can be hard to hear!! But the teen girls accents are much weaker.

Also people in state of Georgia and Kentucky when they talk it goes up and down more and louder when they talk . Where in Alabama and Arkansas they don't up talk like in Georgia and Kentucky or talk loud.

Some one saying HOT like it is very Hot Day !! In Georgia and Kentucky the O is up talk very high !! Well in Alabama and Arkansas it no where like that. People in Alabama and Arkansas don't up talk like people in Georgia and Kentucky. The voice modulation does not go high like in Georgia and Kentucky.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:39 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I can't think of a specific accent that grates on me EXCEPT a vowel issue that seems to be both southern and midwestern, wherein people pronounce words like "Pin" and "Pen" the same. In other words, they use the short "i" sound in both words and no "eh" sound appears in words like pen.

I even notice this on electronic voices! When I check my email at work, I hear "Inter your ID code." And I hear it in anchorpeople on television talking about "Look for this on the Tin O'clock news."

I wonder how it came to be that so many people lost the short "e" sound.

The Philly/South Jersey accent can be annoying to hear, but that's probably because the person I know who uses it the most is an annoying person, lol.

By the way, OP, I didn't hear any weird sound in the first guy's A in the middle of words, so I suspect it's because that's how we say it here in NJ!
Whoa whoa, I'm from South Jersey And of course, I pronounce water "wooter" and sometimes say "ideer" instead of "idea". Some people here in Baltimore say that I carry the "r" out in certain words like "car".

Old 07-31-2013, 06:24 AM

13,336 posts, read 39,711,403 times
Per the rules of the General U.S. forum:

Threads that are negative in nature are not allowed, as by their very nature they invite posts that become argumentative and even hostile.

This thread is now closed.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.