Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 11:07 AM

181 posts, read 506,048 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Can't stand LA anymore! Open to suggestions about where to move. These are some factors in my decision:

1. job market (I am a senior-level graphic designer (print not web), in the apparel industry currently, but could switch to another industry, as long as it was fun/creative-not anything dry like finance or medical!

2. dating-probably anywhere is going to be better than LA. But if anything comes to mind that would be particularly good, let me know.

3. weather- I am actually looking to get out of the sun. I'm a redhead(don't tan anyway), and I like 4 seasons.

4. urban feel/public transit/culture- would love to ditch my car, and live in the center of a city with lots to do. Do NOT want to get stuck somewhere that is too family oriented, boring, burb-ish.

5. history/beauty-a big fan of historic places, great architecture, antiques, etc.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 11:29 AM

93,338 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Perhaps a city near a military base. I know that Chicago has a Naval base and could work regardless of that presence or not.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:42 AM

192 posts, read 324,406 times
Based upon the five factors you listed, I would suggest looking at either Boston, Chicago, New York City, Philadelphia, or Washington D.C.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:17 PM

Thanks. Yeah, I am really torn between Boston and New York the most.

Boston seems cleaner, nicer, less "crazy" but I worry it might be too quiet/conservative/hard to break into socially.

New York--Hmmm. Of course it's fantastic in many ways, it's New York, enough said. However, I am not rich and would probably wind up in an outer borough, maybe say Astoria, Queens. Also probably some of my complaints about LA would also hold true there--dating would be very competitive (from a female perspective), people overly concerned with status, image, etc. And while I do want to socialize, my "hard partying days" are probably over. I'm more likely to go to a pub/wine bar than a raging nightclub these days.

Chicago I have already tried. Loved it, but the economy was very tough, I left for lack of job security.

Not sure about DC and Philly. Will have to do more research.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:29 PM

What about Minneapolis? Graphics Designer Jobs, Employment in Minnesota | Indeed.com

I don't know if this would still apply, but it could possibly give an idea of what's out there in terms of dating ratios: A singles map of the United States of America - The Boston Globe

Old 07-21-2012, 12:54 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Boston.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:59 PM

I was always curious about Minneapolis, and regret not visiting when I was in Chicago. But I'd be hesitant to try the Midwest again. Maybe the economy has gotten better, but it was pretty dire a few years ago. I'm guessing it's still worse than on the coasts.

Singles map is interesting. Boston area seems to rate well. I'd discount a lot of the statistics though. California is according to the map, great for women, since there are more men. Clearly misleading! How many of those men are gay, illegal day laborers, lazy surfer dudes, etc? And most of the single women are gorgeous, which makes it hard to stand out.

I should probably start doing some traveling, and check some of these places out for myself!

Old 07-21-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Boston.
Oh yeah? Please expand on this! I'm so curious. Really drawn to Boston for some strange reason. I really know very little about it, and have never been.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncalifornian girl View Post
I was always curious about Minneapolis, and regret not visiting when I was in Chicago. But I'd be hesitant to try the Midwest again. Maybe the economy has gotten better, but it was pretty dire a few years ago. I'm guessing it's still worse than on the coasts.

Singles map is interesting. Boston area seems to rate well. I'd discount a lot of the statistics though. California is according to the map, great for women, since there are more men. Clearly misleading! How many of those men are gay, illegal day laborers, lazy surfer dudes, etc? And most of the single women are gorgeous, which makes it hard to stand out.

I should probably start doing some traveling, and check some of these places out for myself!
Actually, the unemployment rate in Minneapolis-St. Paul is 5.2% as of May: Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Old 07-21-2012, 03:06 PM

Ok, not bad. Adding Minneapolis to my list....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.