Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most reserved/unfriendly part of the US?
The Northeast 81 50.00%
The South 30 18.52%
The Midwest 12 7.41%
The Northwest 33 20.37%
The Southwest 6 3.70%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 10:34 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,247,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
I think that towns that are actually "unfriendly" are overlooked because they are smaller.

I also don't think it's a regional thing so much.

Chicago is very friendly, Des Moines is not. Both are in the midwest.
I am stunned to hear this. Most Nebraskans and Iowans I've met are among the nicest people I've known. What do you attribute this to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 10:56 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,734,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I am stunned to hear this. Most Nebraskans and Iowans I've met are among the nicest people I've known. What do you attribute this to?
Very standoffish, unless you went to high school with them. Will wave & say hello though. Not easy to start random conversations there. Something you shouldn't do. Same with Minnesota.

The older generation is very nice for some reason though. The younger generation is not, even up to 40. Then you have the Omaha/Des Moines wannabe big city crowd, who are very standoffish, because that's how NY is.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:08 PM

639 posts, read 1,117,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
Friendliness is such a subjective thing. And, it's not what it appears to be. I found places where people are outwardly friendly in a casual way, yet that's about it. And, other places where they aren't so much, but more sincere perhaps when you get to know them.I lived in a place where everyone had a plastic smile pasted on, it does get irritating, yet long faces are, too. I mean--can't you even smile, it won't hurt that much I promise.
In general I agree with you. Friendliness is subjective. People can be very friendly to you, but not make efforts to be your friend, whereas other people may not be as outgoing or friendly initially, but can make great friends once you get to know them.

If I had to categorize a region or people from a region as unfriendly I would say Kansas City metro and Florida. After spending sometime in the Kansas City metro, particularly Johnson County, I met some of the rudest and snobbish people ever. I was very surprised by this since much of the Midwest is stereotyped to be very friendly and down to earth. As for Florida, I generally found the people there to be standoffish, not very well-rounded or cared about different interests other than their own, and sometimes just mean. But who knows, I'm sure other people beg to differ.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:17 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,247,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Very standoffish, unless you went to high school with them. Will wave & say hello though. Not easy to start random conversations there. Something you shouldn't do. Same with Minnesota.
It sounds like the "Minnesota problem" extends to adjacent states.

It's not something you do in OR and WA either.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:58 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,734,114 times
Yet in Chicago, people are very friendly & approachable. This is provided you avoid hoodlums, gangsters, and whatnot.

You can be getting your oil changed and in the waiting room someone will strike up conversation at random with you and possibly tell you their life story. LA seemed friendly to me, but I don't think quite to the extent of Chicago.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:48 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,480,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNRollRocks View Post
ieir think that southern New England, central Connecticut has to be the most coldest, reserved., i.e. not friendly part of the country.

It is kind of like all these people in that area do the "keeping up with the Jones" type of mentality.

In other words they do all they can to make their properties looking as perfect as possible, are all driving late model expensive cars,
yet will hardly <b>ever</b> talk to you in your own neighborhood, even if you have lived there for years!

It seems to be a very callous and insensitive area from what I see. If you are a newcomer to Connecticut, and ask a simple question on the CT forum it's quite possible you may be insulted & deemed a "troll".

Do not know why that area is like that. Do not know much about western CT.....only been to New Haven and Waterbury area & those folks seem ok. Down at the shore, like New London area, people seem rather laid back & sweet down that way.
Maybe the reason Hartford County is not too friendly is because of the companies that exist there...it is known to be the Insurance Capitol of the world.

Ever see the movie by Michael Moore- Sicko?
I think this is pretty much SPOT ON, and I grew up in CT, moved to NH after college. People in NH are still reserved but much more down to earth and friendly. For the first few years living here it blew me away how random strangers would fire up friendly conversations at the gas station, at the grocery store, pretty much anywhere I went. Growing up in CT I never experience so many random strangers being nice and friendly to me.

Even though parts of the North east can be friendly (primarily north of the mass pike), I think as a whole the north east people are much more reserved and can be downright rude and pretentious (Primarly in the urban areas of southern New England) Not to say there are not nice people in southern new england and rude people in northern new england.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:41 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,566,836 times
Different parts of these regions are diffferent from each other, too.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:32 AM

275 posts, read 416,852 times
Default Southern New England is about the worst as fas as very unfriendly & also dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Without a doubt the Northeast.

We started to read the Hartford Courant, online, which is one of the oldest published newspapers in the nation, out of Connecticut.
I could not believe how many times I read actual stories of corruption by the local police, even state police and so many mayors in the state of Connecticut, and even the state employees.
They had a major storm which caused a major power outage and state employees who were earning like $80,000 a year were actually applying for food stamps!
MY GOD! THE AMOUNT OF CORRUPTION, Not to Mention Hostility of so many Residents in Connecticut toward innocent, law abiding people in the state of Connecticut is just plain shocking!

The cops have become SO negligent and corrupt in Connecticut now!.[b]why is the reason for that anyway?? their starting salaries are at least $50,000![\B]

Sounds like Governor Malloy needs to do a thorough house cleaning in his state, and start firing all these negligent, incompetent public servants, because they are not serving the public at all....they are actually put the public's safety in constant danger.
The housing market's gone up bigtime too in southern Mass.,.and I can well see why.

Connecticut is no longer a safe, OR friendly place to live.

Last edited by RockNRollRocks; 10-08-2012 at 10:04 AM..

Old 10-08-2012, 09:51 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,566,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
In general I agree with you. Friendliness is subjective. People can be very friendly to you, but not make efforts to be your friend, whereas other people may not be as outgoing or friendly initially, but can make great friends once you get to know them.

If I had to categorize a region or people from a region as unfriendly I would say Kansas City metro and Florida. After spending sometime in the Kansas City metro, particularly Johnson County, I met some of the rudest and snobbish people ever. I was very surprised by this since much of the Midwest is stereotyped to be very friendly and down to earth. As for Florida, I generally found the people there to be standoffish, not very well-rounded or cared about different interests other than their own, and sometimes just mean. But who knows, I'm sure other people beg to differ.
I didn't find Florida friendly at all either when I lived there--the opposite actually, even smaller towns. I liked Fort Lauderdale the best then, but not sure how it would feel now. From the multiple posts on CD, South Florida is a pretty rude place to live!

Old 10-08-2012, 09:54 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,686,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post

Well there is the saying good fences make good neighbors but I will be honest, all Iowans I have met are pretty freindly and pretty down to earth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.