Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 09:21 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

South Florida is part of the Caribbean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 11:44 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,695 times
In broader, global regions, Florida is part of the Caribbean. But in the U.S., it is part of the South (unless you want to try to group it with Puerto Rico, which is a bit of a stretch).

Old 07-24-2012, 12:44 AM

711 posts, read 1,498,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I think most of us identity South Florida as its own region, Flordia as a whole is the south. It has southern politics, a southern vibe, southern people, etc while South Florida is on its own, in my opinion.
I agree with this...

Old 07-24-2012, 06:59 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
South Florida is part of the Caribbean.
No its not. Nor is Miami part of Latin America..

Old 07-24-2012, 07:14 AM

805 posts, read 1,084,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No its not. Nor is Miami part of Latin America..
I see what you're saying, but culturally, it does feel like Miami is the central hub of the Caribbean. There is an incredible mix of Caribbean, European, and Latin American culture in Miami that is not replicated anywhere else. Globally, it seems that Miami would identify much more with this region, just as Seattle and Portland are more culturally and economically aligned with Tokyo, Seoul, Beijing, and other Pacific Rim cities and areas.

But yes, if you want to limit this discussion to merely a US-based designation/mapping, then I believe Florida is considered its own region. Geographically, it may be part of the south, but culturally it is anything but. Certain parts of Panhandle and northern Florida may have a southern vibe, but the rest of Florida does not. The argument can also be made that the urban South is facing the exact same thing- Cary, NC and Birmingham, AL, for instance, have so many transplants from the NE that it has lost its unique Southern identity.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:59 PM

326 posts, read 949,803 times
South Florida is just...different. Although it is the most southern part of the south, there really is not much that is southern about it. I think if you go out to some of the smaller western towns (like around The Redlands) that are not newer suburbs (like Weston) you might get a bit of a southern feeling. The predominate culture is either Latin or Northeastern U.S. I don't think you're going to find a very big population of people who have moved here from, say, Alabama or Mississippi, but you will for sure find a large population who have moved from places like Puerto Rico or Long Island.
Just my opinion as a resident and a transplant from the southern part of the Midwest.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:15 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,329,322 times
Why not consider south Florida a *sub-region* of a greater Southeast Region?

Old 07-25-2012, 06:45 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,400,554 times
It should be its own state, IMO. South Florida is VERY different from north or even central Florida. Miami is absolutely nothing like Jacksonville. The demographics down here are totally different - much more Latin/Caribbean and politically, South Florida would most likely be a blue state.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:54 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,400,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ForTheSea View Post
South Florida is just...different. Although it is the most southern part of the south, there really is not much that is southern about it. I think if you go out to some of the smaller western towns (like around The Redlands) that are not newer suburbs (like Weston) you might get a bit of a southern feeling. The predominate culture is either Latin or Northeastern U.S. I don't think you're going to find a very big population of people who have moved here from, say, Alabama or Mississippi, but you will for sure find a large population who have moved from places like Puerto Rico or Long Island.
Just my opinion as a resident and a transplant from the southern part of the Midwest.
Because it's not the south. South Florida could indeed be considered a region unto itself - Caribbean in culture, yet part of the United States. Miami probably has more in common with San Juan PR than it does with Jacksonville to the north. There is nothing even remotely "southern" until you get well up into Palm Beach County. Aside from the large Hispanic influx, there are many northeasterners down here and many Europeans. It's really nothing like the rest of Florida.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:58 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
It should be its own state, IMO. South Florida is VERY different from north or even central Florida. Miami is absolutely nothing like Jacksonville. The demographics down here are totally different - much more Latin/Caribbean and politically, South Florida would most likely be a blue state.
Then I assume you think NYC should be its own state as it's completely different than upstate NY?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.