Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 08:00 PM

345 posts, read 1,026,350 times

Advertisements

Didn't read the thread but my first thought from the title was Maryland.

My mom spent some of her childhood there and I've been there a couple times growing up. Even had crab-cakes at an Orioles game when I was younger . Seems like a nice pleasant state.

But it might be the most deformed looking state on the map. All jagged with just a sliver of land area in the Cumberland area and near the WV border. Then travels east and south. So bizarre and unnatural looking.... feels like part of it should be given to WV and other regions should be combined with Delaware. Just a thought!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 08:49 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,972,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post

My mom spent some of her childhood there and I've been there a couple times growing up. Even had crab-cakes at an Orioles game when I was younger . Seems like a nice pleasant state.

But it might be the most deformed looking state on the map. All jagged with just a sliver of land area in the Cumberland area and near the WV border. Then travels east and south. So bizarre and unnatural looking.... feels like part of it should be given to WV and other regions should be combined with Delaware. Just a thought!
I like!

We'll take part of Maryland!

Old 07-25-2012, 10:58 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,789,874 times
I think state splitting would be more likely. I know a lot of people in Eastern Washington want to split from Western Washington, for example. Most of their tax dollars end up being spent on the Western Side.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:38 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,299,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
I think state splitting would be more likely. I know a lot of people in Eastern Washington want to split from Western Washington, for example. Most of their tax dollars end up being spent on the Western Side.
In that case, can cities split from states and morph into city-states? This would be great news to the People's Republic of Austin.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:32 AM

581 posts, read 961,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post

Maryland's borders could have made more sense. We fought against the thieving Pennsylvanians from the north back in the 1730's, and fought the Pennsylvanians for our rightful territory! Alas, in 1737, our glorious crusade was not going well, with Pennsylvania capturing our brave leader Mr. Cresap. The good King George II sought to end our hostilities, but we felt too strongly for our rightful land and the Pennsylvanians wanted too much to steal it! So we fought some more. But finally the King ended this most just war in 1738.

It was not until 1767 that the boundary between our fair state and Pennsylvania was decided, but clearly the Englishmen Mr. Mason and Mr. Dixon were biased in helping Pennsylvania, who in the end had nearly four times our territory. The injustice! But at least they did not give Pennsylvania their greedy claim that would have gone all the way down to the northernmost waters of the Bay.

Spoiler

Old 07-26-2012, 02:08 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,243,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
We get this argument a lot in Illinois because of Chicago/Chicagoland. It is a poor argument at best. Chicago is by far the largest city in the state and Chicagoland has millions of people, roughly half of Illinois' population. It's not like Chicago is the same size as every other city and is getting more money, there are more people there so the money isn't going up to Chicago, but staying there. This is the same thing for Western and Eastern Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.