Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 09:16 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,379,057 times

Advertisements

What are some larger cities where everyone's all jumbled in together? ... Heterogeneous.

I guess what I'm trying to say is cities that don't have specific social neighborhoods for people based on their religion, age, marital status, politics, sexual orientation, income, whether someone is white collar or blue collar, ethnicity, or what country they're from.

I'd still expect the wealthy to have their own part of town, but the rest of the city would be pretty much... you know... coexisting.

What is a "larger city?"
To me, a "larger city" would have multiple post offices, multiple libraries, at least one public community college, and a public transit bus system (yes, even if it sucks). The MSA would most likely have a minimum of 750k people.

Ample parking for unicorns preferred but not required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 09:21 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times
Houston, apparently some recent list would prove my suggestion inaccurate but from my experiences people are mixed in very well throughout the metro.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:22 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,320,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
What are some larger cities where everyone's all jumbled in together? ... Heterogeneous.

I guess what I'm trying to say is cities that don't have specific social neighborhoods for people based on their religion, age, marital status, politics, sexual orientation, income, whether someone is white collar or blue collar, ethnicity, or what country they're from.

I'd still expect the wealthy to have their own part of town, but the rest of the city would be pretty much... you know... coexisting.

What is a "larger city?"
To me, a "larger city" would have multiple post offices, multiple libraries, at least one public community college, and a public transit bus system (yes, even if it sucks). The MSA would most likely have a minimum of 750k people.

Ample parking for unicorns preferred but not required.
I feel like Manhattan is what your looking for. You see every color of every religion, of every background, and that's before you walk to the end of the block.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:45 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,197,619 times
San Francisco for sure.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:59 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,836,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
I feel like Manhattan is what your looking for. You see every color of every religion, of every background, and that's before you walk to the end of the block.
Pretty much.

OP, I think Atlanta's a pretty jumbled city, although I don't think it's that big.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Thanks for playing but Manhattan would actually be a great example of the opposite of what I am looking for.
Manhattan has dozens of different neighborhoods... A neighborhood for each and every person. As a whole, the city may be very diverse however people are not jumbled up, they are in their respective neighborhoods.

Play again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
San Francisco for sure.
Thanks for playing but San Francisco would actually be a great example of the opposite of what I am looking for.
Like Manhattan, San Francisco has many different neighborhoods... A neighborhood for each and every person. There's no question that as a whole, the city is very diverse however people are not jumbled up, they are in their respective neighborhoods. For example, The Castro, Chinatown, Mission district.

Play again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Pretty much.
OP, I think Atlanta's a pretty jumbled city, although I don't think it's that big.
Goodness, what an epic failure I was at describing what I am looking for.
Atlanta most certainly is a large city. The area is home to over 5 million people. And while as a whole, the area is very diverse, however people are not jumbled up. There are separate areas for yuppies, singles, married w/ childrens, gays, jews, asians, politics and of course race.

Play again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Houston, apparently some recent list would prove my suggestion inaccurate but from my experiences people are mixed in very well throughout the metro.
Thanks for playing but as you suspected, there is a recent list that proves your suggestion inaccurate.

Play again?

Old 08-06-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks for playing but as you suspected, there is a recent list that proves your suggestion inaccurate.

Play again?
Obvious you haven't spent more than a weekend in Houston.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Obvious you haven't spent more than a weekend in Houston.
You would be correct. All I'm going by is when I type into google "houston neighborhoods" and I look at the profiles of the neighborhoods.

For what it's worth, your answer was probably more on target than the rest but I'm looking for a city that doesn't have any little neighborhoods with different kinds of people. There should be different kinds of people, just not in special districts or neighborhoods. That's probably going to mean it's a much smaller, much newer city.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
You would be correct. All I'm going by is when I type into google "houston neighborhoods" and I look at the profiles of the neighborhoods.

For what it's worth, your answer was probably more on target than the rest but I'm looking for a city that doesn't have any little neighborhoods with different kinds of people. There should be different kinds of people, just not in special districts or neighborhoods. That's probably going to mean it's a much smaller, much newer city.
You want a city where there's not a single neighborhood dominated by one demographic? Given the demographics of this country that would be impossible.
Maybe a town of 1000 or something, only because they will have only 1 or 2 neighborhoods.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:43 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,958,896 times
What are some larger cities where everyone's all jumbled in together?

All large cities have people all jumbled together and they call that living. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.