Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 09:53 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times

Advertisements

The easiest place to find it is in Alaska, and all western states have some areas of wilderness. From the Great plains east its tougher to find but some areas still have true "middle of nowhere" kinds of places. The arrowhead of Mn, Upstate NY and even parts of Maine still have true wilderness. I believe the largest wilderness areas east of the rockies is the UP of Michigan. Parts of lower Michigan are very remote as well. The everglades and the Louisana swamps are other areas of wilderness in the eastern half of the US. With 300 million living in the US now its getting more crowded though, and most Americans are 400 miles away or more from any real wilderness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 11:54 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times
Not mentioned yet is a different place and type of isolation and remoteness; the open ocean. As a Navy veteran there were many times when we were all alone on our ship with the nearest land more than 1000 miles away. True, we were in close proximity with hundreds of other men and busy with our work, but until you have spent time on it most are unaware of just how vast and immense the planet's seas are. Even some passengers that have taken a cruise on a liner have felt unease at the vastness of the sea and were not comfortable with being far from land. Once heard an amusing tale about a couple that took a cruise to Hawaii and canceled the return trip and flew home instead, at considerable added expense, because of their dislike of the isolation of sea travel.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:31 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Anywhere that's not NYC.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:32 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Anywhere that isn't NYC.
Haha, same response.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:33 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,828,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Aha, yes, PCP isn't well-liked by the locals because the people who live there came from places like the Bronx and brought a lot of crime up with them. My sister has been living in the Poconos for more than 30 years, and when her daughter was in high school, she started carrying a knife to school because the NYers who moved up there were picking fights. My sister packed her daughter up and sent her to live with my mom in Jersey for high school.
Yea basically everyone including me is from NY or NJ there's like 3 true Pennsylvanians here lol.yeah there's mad people in West High School with guns and drugs its not that bad it doesn't really bother me.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:58 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,327,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The easiest place to find it is in Alaska, and all western states have some areas of wilderness. From the Great plains east its tougher to find but some areas still have true "middle of nowhere" kinds of places. The arrowhead of Mn, Upstate NY and even parts of Maine still have true wilderness. I believe the largest wilderness areas east of the rockies is the UP of Michigan. Parts of lower Michigan are very remote as well. The everglades and the Louisana swamps are other areas of wilderness in the eastern half of the US. With 300 million living in the US now its getting more crowded though, and most Americans are 400 miles away or more from any real wilderness.
Actually, the Atchafalaya Swamp in Louisiana is only about 15 miles from Lafayette, a city of 120K and a metro of about 550K. Definitely not middle of nowhere. Not to mention that fisherman love that swamp and populate it year round in significant numbers. It never feels like the middle of nowhere.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:42 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times
Quote:
... most Americans are 400 miles away or more from any real wilderness.
Good. Because in most movies I've seen, within the first 20-min, the little blonde girl (me), loses her glasses (me) after tripping over a log, whilst running from the psycho with the axe & becomes potting soil. I know that if I ever wander into nowhere, I've got exactly 20-min to get out.

I'll take big cities. I like my crazies right out in the open where we can all plainly identify them.

(Yes, I'm only joking!)

Old 08-17-2012, 02:24 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
The Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness in northern Minnesota is a big wilderness area that is very remote and out in the middle of nowhere.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:30 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Wyoming. Magnificent desolation.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:47 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Not mentioned yet is a different place and type of isolation and remoteness; the open ocean. As a Navy veteran there were many times when we were all alone on our ship with the nearest land more than 1000 miles away. True, we were in close proximity with hundreds of other men and busy with our work, but until you have spent time on it most are unaware of just how vast and immense the planet's seas are.
I've had family in the Navy who reported something similar on a sub, albeit under the ocean. Another Coast Guard relative talked about the desolation whilst touring about Greenland on a cutter back in the 40s. He never elaborated, but talked of eerie nights & at times, sounds which couldn't be identified... scary I'm sure when combined with complete darkness & being a teen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.