Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City is more associated with:
New Jersey & Connecticut 98 93.33%
Upstate New York 7 6.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 11:34 AM

628 posts, read 662,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I live in Union County, New Jersey and have been to upstate New York numerous times, both staying up there and driving through. I have to say that I feel it is in no way similar to New York City and the metro area. The fact that there are transplants from the city upstate means nothing. Where I live, people move from Staten Island and Brooklyn to here all the time but that's not what makes my area similar to NYC. It's because of the more fast-paced lifestyle, the fact that I can hop on a train and be at Penn Station in thirty minutes, and the fact that half my town works in Manhattan or Brooklyn. The tri state area refers to NYC, Long Island, Westchester County, Northern New Jersey, and some of Connecticut. We share the same news channels. I have never seen any New York city or town farther than Westchester County on any NYC news channel. It's just not the same type of lifestyle. Hell, the shore area of New Jersey is more similar to NYC than upstate is just because so many New Yorkers go there in the summer. MTV's 'Jersey Shore' features almost all New Yorkers.

And yes, where I live we refer to Manhattan as "the city", and the other boroughs by their names. Everybody in the metro area truly thinks of upstate and western New York as a completely different area. And be proud of that fact. It's beautiful up there, so much calmer in general and much more scenic than down here. New York is a very diverse state in many ways, but just because NYC is in New York state doesn't mean it's more similar to the upstate region than the immediate areas surrounding the city are (NJ and CT).
Actually Snooki and JWow are upstaters.....and yes, I am deeply embarrased that I know that.

Listen guys, just because upstate is not "exactly" like nyc metro does not mean that it is not like the area at all. Basically, nyc, north nj, LI, upstate and western ny are just different shades of the same color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 11:36 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,401,167 times
i mean then again the poll says it all, less then 5 people voted for upstate. That right their shows it.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:56 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
Actually Snooki and JWow are upstaters.....and yes, I am deeply embarrased that I know that.

Listen guys, just because upstate is not "exactly" like nyc metro does not mean that it is not like the area at all. Basically, nyc, north nj, LI, upstate and western ny are just different shades of the same color.
I thought JWow was from LI? Lol not like it really matters, I guess, still not from Jersey! And yes, Snooki's from Poughkeepsie.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I thought JWow was from LI? Lol not like it really matters, I guess, still not from Jersey! And yes, Snooki's from Poughkeepsie.
JWoW's from albany. You can actually tell her accent is more upstate than downstate. (my embarrasment continues)...

Old 08-14-2012, 12:04 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
need to dig up the old "what is upstate NY" thread

if people are not counting buffalo & rochester as upstate, but are including westchester county then you really are looking at it through city eyes and not an upstate view

when you are from upstate NY you play the upstate NY game ... it goes like this:

Q: Where are you from?
A: Upstate NY - (which means I don't live near the city, don't really go to the city much, don't know your cousin in Queens and yes, the thanksgiving day parade is fantastic but I really don't notice an increase in traffic from it)

If the person isn't familiar with upstate NY you get the following types of questions:
Q: It must be great living close to the city, do you go there a lot?
A: No (because Toronto, Pittsburgh, Cleveland and a host of other cities are closer)

If they are familiar then you start to narrow:
Q: Oh really? What part?
A: You familiar with Western NY? (or the finger lakes, southern tier, andirondacks, etc)

Q: Kind of, one of my neighbors used to live in Fredonia
A: Right on - that's about an hour south of Buffalo and about 40 minutes from Jamestown (they'll know Buffalo, most likely not Jamestown - but you never know - i've discovered people who grew up 15 minutes from me in a casual conversation 1500 miles away playing the upstate game)

Q: Yeah, I know where Buffalo is - is that where you are from?
A: No, a bit over an hour to the east is the city of Rochester - you familiar with the area?

From here you get a couple paths:
Q: Nope - Is this where you are from?
A: Pretty much

or

Q: Yeah, my sister in laws family is from that area I think, although I wasn't sure where it was - is that where you are from?
A: Pretty much - actually it's a place in the western portion of the metro called Chili - although it reads like Chili it's pronounced ChiLie

Old 08-14-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
need to dig up the old "what is upstate NY" thread

if people are not counting buffalo & rochester as upstate, but are including westchester county then you really are looking at it through city eyes and not an upstate view

when you are from upstate NY you play the upstate NY game ... it goes like this:

Q: Where are you from?
A: Upstate NY - (which means I don't live near the city, don't really go to the city much, don't know your cousin in Queens and yes, the thanksgiving day parade is fantastic but I really don't notice an increase in traffic from it)

If the person isn't familiar with upstate NY you get the following types of questions:
Q: It must be great living close to the city, do you go there a lot?
A: No (because Toronto, Pittsburgh, Cleveland and a host of other cities are closer)

If they are familiar then you start to narrow:
Q: Oh really? What part?
A: You familiar with Western NY? (or the finger lakes, southern tier, andirondacks, etc)

Q: Kind of, one of my neighbors used to live in Fredonia
A: Right on - that's about an hour south of Buffalo and about 40 minutes from Jamestown (they'll know Buffalo, most likely not Jamestown - but you never know - i've discovered people who grew up 15 minutes from me in a casual conversation 1500 miles away playing the upstate game)

Q: Yeah, I know where Buffalo is - is that where you are from?
A: No, a bit over an hour to the east is the city of Rochester - you familiar with the area?

From here you get a couple paths:
Q: Nope - Is this where you are from?
A: Pretty much

or

Q: Yeah, my sister in laws family is from that area I think, although I wasn't sure where it was - is that where you are from?
A: Pretty much - actually it's a place in the western portion of the metro called Chili - although it reads like Chili it's pronounced ChiLie
I admire your ambition in writing that, but to be honest I have no idea what the hell any of that means. If you want to define new york, the majority would tell you it goes like this:

nyc metro: nyc, li, westchester, *dutchess
upstate: albany, syracuse binghamton, *dutchess
western ny: buffalo rochester

Its not really that complicated.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:27 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,713,676 times
Western NY is a subregion of upstate NY.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:28 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
buffalo & rochester is upstate NY

upstate NY has many sub-regions

western is one of them

upstate is the catch all for anything that isn't city

you have downstate/upstate

in downstate you have all the sub-sects .... same for upstate

it's like saying binghamton isn't in upstate NY - it's in the southern tier

that ithaca isn't in upstate ny - it's in the finger lakes

that plattsburgh isn't upstate ny - it's in the adirondack region

syracuse isn't upstate - it's central NY

that's just silly

the upstate regional review is published by the federal reserve in buffalo, cornell looks at the "state of upstate" and includes all of western NY

if anyone from buffalo, rochester, jamestown, etc claim they are not a part of upstate NY and only western NY they are being obtuse

Old 08-14-2012, 01:21 PM

27,549 posts, read 28,636,675 times
I don't know how New Yorkers define upstate exactly. But I'm using upstate to refer to all of New York state that isn't part of the New York City CSA.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:23 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,713,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I don't know how New Yorkers define upstate exactly. But I'm using upstate to refer to all of New York state that isn't part of the New York City CSA.
that would be most accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.