Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 03:35 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
Who told you Dallas is growing by 150k a year? It's really 120k per year. Those estimates you grabbed we're from April 2010 to July 2011, that's 15 months not 12.

Dallas and Houston are actually growing more slowly now. 110k for Houston is less than the average 120k it averaged per year last decade. Same goes for Dallas and Atlanta. Miami's sped up.
These things are very faulty. DFW was overestimated to the tune of a couple Hundred thousand, while Houston was underestimated.

The census has no clue as to how fast these areas are growing. Being off by so many 100s of thousands is unforgiveable. DFW is just got to the population the census told us it would be in 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 04:37 PM

345 posts, read 455,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
These things are very faulty. DFW was overestimated to the tune of a couple Hundred thousand, while Houston was underestimated.

The census has no clue as to how fast these areas are growing. Being off by so many 100s of thousands is unforgiveable. DFW is just got to the population the census told us it would be in 2008.

Source? I am all for padding the numbers on Houston...and the U.S. census bureau is not perfect, but I will take their numbers over unsourced city data posters stating their opinions on what they think the numbers should be. I don't mean that as a dig, I would just like to see where you and Maxtor are getting your information to base these assertions.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:43 PM

345 posts, read 455,726 times
Sorry Htown - mis-read your post.

Yes the US census bureau did overestimate the size of metros throughout the 2000s. But what else do we have to use?

I'll still stand by my biased and flawed predictions for when these metros will hit 10 mil:

1. Dallas - early 2030s
2. Houston - late 2030s
3/4. Atlanta and Miami - 2050s

Feel free to shoot holes in this.....

Old 08-10-2012, 05:18 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt38 View Post

Yes the US census bureau did overestimate the size of metros throughout the 2000s. But what else do we have to use?

I'll still stand by my biased and flawed predictions for when these metros will hit 10 mil:

1. Dallas - early 2030s
2. Houston - late 2030s

Feel free to shoot holes in this
I stand by my original predictions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Houston.

Miami is kinda confined I think it will max out at about 8M
ATL is very spread out, I doubt it will be able to keep its charm with too many more people. I think it will max out at 8.5M people
DFW does not have as big economic drivers as Houston in terms of the Sea-Port, Energy and Medicine. I think it will max out at 9M

Houston's trade, manufacturing, Energy sector and Medical sector are all booming. All Mega Cities are either lined to a Sea Port or a Capital City. Houston and Miami have sea Ports but Houston has more room to grow, and is prepared for the Boom in shipping that the expansion of the Panama Canal will bring.
I don't see ATL and Miami hitting 10M in the next 40 years. As for DFW it may have a CSA that big in 40 years (under current definitions), but I don't think the MSA will get there.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:39 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Houston isn't the Deep South. Metro Houston is so geographically big, depending on which part you're in, you'll feel the pull of the region that it boarders. West Houston Metro feels closer to Central Texas(from my own personal experience) while the East seems more wooded and Southern. Once you drive west towards Prairie View, Brenham, and College Station and Elgin, it starts to change. Once you drive East towards Beaumont, etc, than it feels more Deep South. Maybe my eyes deceived me and I'm wrong. Metro Houston in and of it's self feels like it's own urban cultural transition zone. The Gulf coast of Houston even has it's own laid-back Louisiana-like culture separate from the Big-Business city center.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:50 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt38 View Post

1. Dallas - early 2030s
2. Houston - late 2030s

Feel free to shoot holes in this.....
My only quip is the way people always describe the DFW metro as "the Dallas Metro" or something to that effect. Dallas is just one half of a metro that it shares with another major city, thus, I won't seem like a true megacity, but just part of a megaregion.

Houston and Atlanta, on the other hand, are the sole focus of their metros.

Last edited by Nairobi; 08-10-2012 at 06:02 PM..

Old 08-10-2012, 05:54 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times
DC does. I don't know why DC is always left out of the discussion. It may not be very culturally Southern, but by Census designation it is in the South.

That said, none of the cities have the potential of becoming a megacity. They will always play second-fiddle to LA, Chicago, New York, and DC. Until the cities become more culturally sophisticated, they'll be little more than just large metropolitan areas.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Houston isn't the Deep South. Metro Houston is so geographically big, depending on which part you're in, you'll feel the pull of the region that it boarders. West Houston Metro feels closer to Central Texas(from my own personal experience) while the East seems more wooded and Southern. Once you drive west towards Prairie View, Brenham, and College Station and Elgin, it starts to change. Once you drive East towards Beaumont, etc, than it feels more Deep South. Maybe my eyes deceived me and I'm wrong. Metro Houston in and of it's self feels like it's own urban cultural transition zone. The Gulf coast of Houston even has it's own laid-back Louisiana-like culture separate from the Big-Business city center.
I certainly agree with the last two sentences.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
DC does. I don't know why DC is always left out of the discussion. It may not be very culturally Southern, but by Census designation it is in the South.

That said, none of the cities have the potential of becoming a megacity. They will always play second-fiddle to LA, Chicago, New York, and DC. Until the cities become more culturally sophisticated, they'll be little more than just large metropolitan areas.
By definition, a megacity is a metropolitan area of or exceeding 10 million people. "Cultural sophistication", as you see it, has little to do with it.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:14 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
By definition, a megacity is a metropolitan area of or exceeding 10 million people. "Cultural sophistication", as you see it, has little to do with it.
If that's the case then Chicago doesn't even qualify as a mega city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.