Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 07:37 PM

650 posts, read 1,620,964 times

Advertisements

Which of the BIG 4 of Houston, Miami, Dallas and Atlanta has the most untapped potential, in terms of getting into that next level of an LA, SF and Chicago and jumping into that next tier of global cities.

Can Charlotte be in that convo as well, or is it a bit too premature?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 08:07 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,935,440 times
What are we judging them by? In terms of being a full fledged urban environment like NYC, Philly, or SF I don't see them ever becoming one until they cut down on their sprawl or they'll continue to grow out.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:39 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,102,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
What are we judging them by? In terms of being a full fledged urban environment like NYC, Philly, or SF I don't see them ever becoming one until they cut down on their sprawl or they'll continue to grow out.
How did you get "urban" from "megacity?"

Anyways, Houston.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
How did you get "urban" from "megacity?"

Anyways, Houston.
I get urban when I think of a city area being a cohesive unit like cities such as SF, Chi-town, or NYC and not just a collection of suburbs formed around a business district that only serves as a place to work. That's just one among other things.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:10 PM

And to answer the question, the only south of the maxon dixie line that I think will become a mega city is DC with the areas outside of the city limits starting to resemble boroughs:

1. Rosslyn - http://www.flickr.com/photos/mr_t_in_dc/491996939/
2. Arlington - http://www.flickr.com/photos/mvjantzen/2560251822/
3. Ballston - http://www.flickr.com/photos/tadnkat/4272163765/
4. Crystal City -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Crystalcity.jpg
5. Tysons Corner - http://beyonddc.com/images/photos/va...ine01-best.jpg
6. Reston - photo on smugsmug - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Restonpanorama.jpeg

Houston is growing at a fast pace, but that's just in the metro region in general and it's suburban. Same with Charlotte

Old 08-02-2012, 10:23 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,779,083 times
Houston.

Miami is kinda confined I think it will max out at about 8M
ATL is very spread out, I doubt it will be able to keep its charm with too many more people. I think it will max out at 8.5M people
DFW does not have as big economic drivers as Houston in terms of the Sea-Port, Energy and Medicine. I think it will max out at 9M

Houston's trade, manufacturing, Energy sector and Medical sector are all booming. All Mega Cities are either lined to a Sea Port or a Capital City. Houston and Miami have sea Ports but Houston has more room to grow, and is prepared for the Boom in shipping that the expansion of the Panama Canal will bring.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:22 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,779,083 times
Canal expansion sets up battle of the ports - Bottom Line

Quote:
These eastern ports are hoping the canal expansion will signal the end of an era — the end of the so-called West Coast Empire. Ports such as Savannah, Ga., New Orleans, Houston and New York City are preparing for this change by pouring billions of dollars over the next few years into infrastructure development, while the ports of the West Coast walk a fine line between confidence and caution in the face of what may be the single largest threat to their livelihoods ever.
“The West Coast has done well with Asian trade over the last 30 years,” said Port of New Orleans spokesman Matt Gresham. “This will make things more competitive.”
And in an industry where one port can generate billions of dollars in state and local tax revenues and affect the lives of more than 3 million industry-related employees throughout the U.S., any change is a big deal.
Quote:
“Ports are the heart of logistics,” Bachkar said. “There are many direct and indirect jobs associated with the activity of the port.”
“You’re talking about shippers," he explained, “you’re talking about freight, you’re talking about brokers, you’re talking about banks, you’re talking about warehouses — and all those stakeholders are related to the activity of the port.”
For example, the Port of Los Angeles generates 919,000 regional jobs and $39.1 billion in wages and tax revenues each year, according to the port’s marketing division.
The Port of New Orleans claims around 380,000 jobs and $37 billion in national economic output are related to cargo passing through the port each year.
Quote:
A 2012 economic impact study showed that more than 1.1 million jobs in Texas and nearly $179 billion of annual statewide economic activity were in some way related to cargo moving through the port.
Is Houston ready for Panama Canal expansion? - Your Houston News: News

Houston may see a huge boom in Port related jobs, and more jobs mean more people.

Companies are already buying up land near the ship channel where they are building Huge warehouses.

Logistics are big industries in DFW and ATL, but they are highly dependent on other Cities. Dallas sees lots of traffic from the Port of LA and Houston, and ATL gets a lot of traffic from the Port of Savannah.

ATL, metro growth has slowed down but I think the Panama Canal Expansion and the medical Industry will fuel Houston's growth over the next decade. Chambers county in Houston's metro is huge and empty, I see a lot of growth potential in that county. I think it has only 35K people but is 600 square miles. That county can easily hold a flood of people and is near the Port.

I don't really see any area that can hold a flood of people in Miami.
In Fact the Houston area is made up of 10 counties and 9 of them have Densities below 1000ppsm (the County Houston is in is the only one above 1000). From the 10, there are 7 with densities below 500ppsm, and 5 of them that are less than 75 people per square mile. Which means that Houston has lots of room to grow.

Bringing the area to Mega city won't stress the area much, it would just bring the average Density to 1000 ppsm which is still boonies density. Miami's UA is already to the max of the useable land and its Density is one of the highest in the US, I really don't see the area being able to hold that much more people

Old 08-03-2012, 12:07 AM

16,505 posts, read 26,102,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
I get urban when I think of a city area being a cohesive unit like cities such as SF, Chi-town, or NYC and not just a collection of suburbs formed around a business district that only serves as a place to work. That's just one among other things.
You're not describing these cities very well. It surely isn't Houston.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:48 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,406,804 times
I'd say Houston.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:51 AM

8,631 posts, read 12,921,977 times
The South is by far the hardest region to ask a question like this since there is no stand alone city that separates itself from the pack. Most would agree that the top tier cities in the South are Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, and Miami. All of them have pros and cons as to which one has to most potential to become a mega city.

Atlanta
Pros: fastest growing area; stand alone city with no major cities nearby to compete with; considered by many as the unofficial "Capitol of the South"
Cons: small city limits; bad infrastructure; seems to can't keep up with its rapid growth.

Houston
Pros: low cost of living; great diversity, large city limits(can still build out), great business environment; great economy, lots of Fortune 500 companies.
Cons: too much sprawl within it's city limits; sharing the same state as Dallas(which takes away resources); horrible mass transit for a city of its size; arguably the least urban top 5 city in the history of America.

Dallas
Pros: largest MSA in the South; very business friendly; pretty good economy; low cost of living.
Cons: has to compete with cities in it's own MSA; sharing the same state as Houston(which takes away resources); transportation not up to par with other major cities.

Miami
Pros: Most internationally recognized, great weather year round.
Cons: City and MSA are built out; high cost of living; horrible public schools, has the least potential of the other cities mentioned.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 08-03-2012 at 02:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.