Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 05:37 PM

107 posts, read 209,730 times

Advertisements

I am in my mid 20's and my fiance and I..and our dog are trying to figure out our next move. Part of it is going to depend on where we can find jobs.. Anyway we are originally from small towns in central Illinois and I went to school in Southern Illinois. I have a BA in Cinema and Photography. After school I moved back in with my parents and did part time work while trying to find something better. On a whim my fiance and I moved to Bloomington, Indiana last August and things just didn't work out after 6 months and now we're back living with my parents. This was all mostly our fault for not having full time work lined up but oh well we learned some things. She doesn't have a degree but has done phlebotomy in the past and may get her CNA or go back to school for Early Childhood. I do some freelance photo stuff but there isn't much market here. I know I'll probably never make enough of a living doing creative work so I'll probably settle for a normal 9-5 and do my stuff on weekends. We've always had big city dreams of New York or Chicago but I just don't know if we're cut out for it and I don't know if I can set myself up for failure again. I have some friends in those cities but it's still hard to break in there and the cost of living is so high. So here's what we're looking for.

Decent cost of living
Low crime
Low unemployment
Affordable rent
Not horrible weather 24/7
Decent art scene
Progressive and at least somewhat liberal
Somewhere that is growing
Open-minded people
LGBTQ (poly) friendly
Live music venues

With that being said I have had someone we know mention Fargo, ND and may be able to help get one of us a job (11/hr +benefits). It doesn't seem like a lot for a ft job, but I don't know really. My biggest concerns with Fargo is that it's so far from everything and the closest larger city (Minneapolis) is 4 hours away. I'm used to having St. Louis and Indianapolis within 1.5 hours and Chicago within 4. I just can't live here in these small conservative towns in central Illinois. Maybe I want too much and like I said it will come down to where the jobs are but I don't want to hate where I live. If anyone has any thoughts or opinions it's greatly appreciated.

Last edited by tdagarim; 08-05-2012 at 06:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 06:38 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,041 times
Go where there is a job. You're both young. Accumulate money, progress to bigger and better things as you gain a better financial backing for yourself.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:56 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,175 times
I'd have suggested Austin, but you said you wanted good weather. Lol

Old 08-05-2012, 07:16 PM

I've heard lots of good about Austin though. I don't need good weather all the time.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:18 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,509,594 times
Indianapolis would be good if your wanting to remain close to family but dont want to be in an ultra conservative town or city.
Indianapolis also has all those criteria you mentioned with most important being the low cost of living/taxes and good economy.
Indianapolis's economy is 2nd strongest in the midwest. 2nd only to the twin cities.
Plus you been there before so im sure you have a general feel for the city.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:54 PM

93,157 posts, read 123,754,884 times
What about Minneapolis or Denver?

Old 08-06-2012, 08:02 AM

I never really liked Indianapolis that much but if I got a job offer I can't say I'd turn it down buy its not a place I've been actively looking. I have a friend looking to possibly move to Colorado so there's some potential rooming options there if she does but it's all speculation. Does anyone have any arguments for or against Fargo?

Old 08-06-2012, 08:43 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdagarim View Post
I've heard lots of good about Austin though. I don't need good weather all the time.
Housing is pretty steep around much of the city core, and rents are increasing since we're at ~97% occupancy right now...BUT, lucky for you, East Austin is the core of the art community and is one of the few remaining affordable areas close to the 'action'. I love the east side! You haven't listed too much about yourself but at first glance, it would be a pretty solid fit as long as you understand the pitfalls of Austin/Texas living.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:56 AM

What exactly are the pitfalls?

Old 08-06-2012, 08:58 AM

308 posts, read 896,561 times
Minneapolis (if you dont mind brutal winters, but good weather during other three seasons).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.