Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 01:22 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,800,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
If one lives in Queens, Brooklyn or Staten Island (and probably the Bronx too) there are plenty of nice suburb-like areas that are quiet and relatively clean-looking.
Yeah I just know that my dad who's an urban guy wants to retire in upstate NY, not downstate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 03:09 PM

48 posts, read 108,130 times
I understand that you hate winter. I live in Minnesota and I hate winter as well, but they aren't as bad as most people say. In fact, most people who say stuff about the winter has probably never been here. Sure there are the bad ones, but if you live in an urban area (ex. Twin Cities, Rochester, ect.) everything is plowed and salted/sanded. You will be fine as long as you don't have rear wheel drive. The best city for growing older is said to be Sioux Falls. I have lived there, and it is very similar to Minnesota. I currently live in Rochester, which was ranked 5th for growing older, and 1st in health care, due to the Mayo Clinic. Many other cities near the top of the list are also in the upper Midwest, such as Sioux City and Des Moines.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:54 PM

177 posts, read 429,999 times
Funny, I always heard the best place to retire/and or grow older was San Francisco. Great weather (at least now snow), everything's walkable, beaches, parks, shopping, and a nice looking city overall. Having been there I can agree it is a great city (but a bit too urban for me).
Best Places to Retire: San Francisco, California - US News and World Report
Kiplinger.com
San Francisco - Top 29: Best Cities To Live In - 2009 Edition - AskMen.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.