Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 05:03 PM

473 posts, read 2,755,136 times

Advertisements

This is part hypothetical and part early stages of me wanting to carry out a goal one day. But the question is, where would the best place be to start a family farm in the US (or if it's valid anywhere in the world)? I'm not talking for commercial production, just land fertile enough to grow enough of our own crops to be self sustaining, as well as raise enough animals in cycle to be able to sustain ourselves as well? I'm not a hippy, just not one who has ever been a fan of the rat race, and always tries to plan for the day where we can just provide for ourselves, with a little extra, and remove ourselves from the day to day. I am by no means a stranger to work, I know what hard, dirt toiling work is, so I don't want to derail the conversation into conversations of "you don't know what you're even thinking of" because I do. And I am most happiest when toiling and working with my hands and the earth, especially when it's providing for myself and my family, rather than have my work fill the pockets of someone else. I've had years of experience toiling at crops and hard agricultural labor, but more years as a boring, life draining cubicle worker.

Anyway, the criteria would be this:

1. Remoteness is not an issue to me, farther away from big cities the better, although I'd need a major town close enough for basic needs/amenities.
2. Small town, but open to a mixed couple/family. I'm Pacific islander, and my wife is Irish, and naturally our kids are mixed, and noticably so.
3. Cheap to very affordable, fertile land
4. I love the cold and snow, so cold winters are not an issue for me, but I need grow seasons long enough to support a lot of different types of crops that we'd need/want to grow.
5. Good place to raise a family, and send kids to school
6. Down to earth people.

Anyway, those aren't the only criteria, but just some to get the ball rolling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 05:05 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Upstate NY!

Old 08-09-2012, 05:09 PM

I lived in the Finger Lakes actually to apprentice as a wine maker/vineyard manager. It's a beautiful part of the country as well as awesome farmland. It's one of my top choices as well for one day having a farm, or going back to finish my dream of opening a winery.

Sadly, right when we were about to realize our dream, my mom's battle with breast cancer turned south, and we moved back to CA abandoning NY, to be there as a family during her last days.

After she died we moved to the PNW to get out of CA (we LOATHE CA), but still be close enough for remaining family should the need arise again, without having to relocate. Leaving the Finger Lakes broke our hearts, literally.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:22 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBaillo View Post
I lived in the Finger Lakes actually to apprentice as a wine maker/vineyard manager. It's a beautiful part of the country as well as awesome farmland. It's one of my top choices as well for one day having a farm, or going back to finish my dream of opening a winery.

Sadly, right when we were about to realize our dream, my mom's battle with breast cancer turned south, and we moved back to CA abandoning NY, to be there as a family during her last days.

After she died we moved to the PNW to get out of CA (we LOATHE CA), but still be close enough for remaining family should the need arise again, without having to relocate. Leaving the Finger Lakes broke our hearts, literally.
You need to come back. Your pictures in the NY forum were great, by the way.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:25 PM

Thank you! We wanted to, it was our first impulse when my mom died, but the fear of having to uproot again (that's how bad the first time killed us), kept us from coming back. But we still dream of moving back one day. Maybe by the time we pull this off, we will be able to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.