Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 04:51 AM

302 posts, read 308,269 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am thinking about going to a couple of places whilst I am in the US for my main purpose.
Looking at flights, for example from Seattle to Houston or Seattle to Indiana requires flight changes.

how does this work? I mean, when you have a flight change over, do you need to get your bags and then go to the checkin desk again for the next leg of your journey?

what is the process? Having never done anything like this before, I would love to know how it works.

Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 05:01 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
If you are on the same airline (or one they are code sharing with). You go from one gate to the next, No additioal check-in needed. When you check-in / Print out out boarding passes you will get you passes for both flight.

Just get off the plane, find the TV monitor, and find where your next gate is, and head on over to it.

If you are going from one non/affiliated airline to another (not very common, when connecting) , Print both boarding passes out before you leave. (Buy DON'T check bags), if they won't interline (check them directly to your final destention). Because you will need to depart the secure area, claim your bags, recheck them, and re-clear security,

Old 08-12-2012, 05:45 AM

thanks! appreciate that.

so what you are saying is that if it is the same airline but a plane change is required, then just go from one gate to the next and no need to reclaim your bags? they would do that internal transfer for you?

if its a different airline altogether for the different leg of the journey then from your start point, check them into the destination journey?

Old 08-12-2012, 06:04 AM

yes, same airline, they will check your bag stright thru to final dest. Just go to next gate.

(btw, just about every US airlines charges for bags) $25/40 a bag. (Southwest does not charge for 1st 2bags, Might want to them them out bag fees can add up to alot. So pack lite. )

Different airlines (on un-connected tickets) you will need to re-claim/recheck (and pay for bags again).
Many airlines will interline (move bags from one airline to the other) on connected tickets that are on the same PNR.

also from a time / hassle factor you don't want to have to claim/recheck, You need to plan 3hr or more for your connection to do the re-claim/re-check. Also if your 1st flight is delayed getting in the 2nd airline does not know you are connecting (to them your are a O&D passenger), and may not re-book you on a later flight, To them you missed your flight, They may make you buy a new full fare ticket.

So best advice I can give, is stay on one airline.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:09 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Well when I flew from my place to palm beach. We flew through EWR and what we did was check our bags through to pbi and when we got to EWR we got the bag off the carousel and then took it down to this bag throw area and then that was all. Some airlines do it for you and others don't I would check before I would put that out because your bag might not arrive if you don't do that. Its really risky.

What airline are you flying with?

Old 08-12-2012, 06:12 AM

Owenc: Where you clearing Customs @ EWR. Baggage handling for international is different then for domestic,

Old 08-12-2012, 06:16 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Oh sorry yes we were. I apologise. I can remember not doing that at ATL when I flew from PBI to MSP.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:20 AM

well the thing is sometimes it is unfortunately not possible to be with just the one airline given the nature/connection.

i dont know if I will be making these other plans but thought I would ask before I do and see if time is the enemy for me before I make these plans. but was thinking from Seattle to either Houston or Indiana

Old 08-12-2012, 06:41 AM

Alaska Airlines has a Hub at SEA, And they code/share with a number of airlines. (also Fly non stop to houston)

SEA is a big airport, All the major airlines fly out of there, You sould have no problem finding one who will take you to Indiana or Houston, with 1 stop/connection.

If you are planning to fly into one of the smaller cities in Indiana, (not Indianapolis) pick a airline, who partner (connector) flys there.

Also switching airline will more then likely make your ticket cost alot more, then being in 1 airline.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:48 AM

yeh, thanks!

problem is: I HATE the small aircrafts. so trying to avoid that at all costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.