Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2016, 06:16 PM

226 posts, read 278,109 times

Advertisements

San Antonio is overshadowed in TX by DFW Houston & Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 06:18 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,735,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritra View Post

A lot of people also don't realize just how big Richmond, VA is as well.
Actually Richmond, VA is smaller than most people would think, as is New Orleans. Richmond is comparable in size to places like Louisville, Memphis, Jacksonville, OKC, etc, yet it's feel and profile is significantly above that.

As for San Antonio, it's overshadowed in the media by Austin. It's still Texas' third city but you wouldn't know it and Austin is catching up fast population wise.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:41 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,081,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout0417 View Post
San Antonio is overshadowed in TX by DFW Houston & Austin.

It has a smaller metro population than DFW and Houston but that doesn't mean it is overshadowed in every category. Austin does not overshadow S.A. and if so explain yourself and I will do the same.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:55 PM

1,122 posts, read 911,222 times
Minneapolis, Atlanta, Dallas, definitely..... Then, perhaps Seattle, Philadelphia and Boston are somewhat under-recognized. Despite that there is a lot of chatter about various cities, in the case of Boston; The zoning of the non-incorporated outer core neighborhoods don't help it's perception as a small city.... but, then the Rt128 + RT495 corridors are totally ignored. We're a moderate, dense core w/ a large office-park sprawl extending to about a 30-35 mi radius outside the core.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Actually Richmond, VA is smaller than most people would think, as is New Orleans. Richmond is comparable in size to places like Louisville, Memphis, Jacksonville, OKC, etc, yet it's feel and profile is significantly above that.

As for San Antonio, it's overshadowed in the media by Austin. It's still Texas' third city but you wouldn't know it and Austin is catching up fast population wise.
I looked at CNN search and San Antonio has more than 10 times the amount of news articles than Austin. Austin does make more of those city lists but it gets more attention in that sense than many of the much bigger cities as well.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 08-24-2016 at 08:20 PM..

Old 08-25-2016, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
Minneapolis, Atlanta, Dallas, definitely..... Then, perhaps Seattle, Philadelphia and Boston are somewhat under-recognized. Despite that there is a lot of chatter about various cities, in the case of Boston; The zoning of the non-incorporated outer core neighborhoods don't help it's perception as a small city.... but, then the Rt128 + RT495 corridors are totally ignored. We're a moderate, dense core w/ a large office-park sprawl extending to about a 30-35 mi radius outside the core.
Seattle is a media darling today so I am not sure where you are coming from there. Seattle is among the list of the most popular cities and is definitely NOT ignored. Minneapolis is a solid second-tier "cool" city as well.

Atlanta and Dallas have somewhat fallen off the radar compared to a decade ago, even though they are still growing very fast.

Philadelphia is what it is, but I don't think it's either over or under hyped.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
It has a smaller metro population than DFW and Houston but that doesn't mean it is overshadowed in every category. Austin does not overshadow S.A. and if so explain yourself and I will do the same.
In the national conscience, Austin does overshadow San Antonio. San Antonio is a city that doesn't get talked much about, be it negatively or positively. Austin on the other hand is a media darling and is praised continuously.

If you live in San Antonio, I can understand not realizing that fact. I live in Oklahoma City and people here don't realize how far behind the rest of the country this place is and that Tulsa is better. Where we live shapes our perception of places. After living on the east coast from 2009-12, my standard for what is a "real" city is different than it used to be.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:16 AM

Awe okayy

Old 08-25-2016, 10:29 PM

9,604 posts, read 9,201,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
I looked at CNN search and San Antonio has more than 10 times the amount of news articles than Austin. Austin does make more of those city lists but it gets more attention in that sense than many of the much bigger cities as well.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:26 PM

1,122 posts, read 911,222 times
Virginia Beach/Norfolk, VA....

home of this week's ECSC.... and swell is on the way.

in any case, i wish they held this event in Buxton, NC where the surf is sooo much better.

ECSC: Between The Heats | SURFLINE.COM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.