Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2016, 08:36 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
I would agree that Fort Worth is a very ignored major city
-WT
It's because its the secondary city in its metro. If Fort Worth was 100 miles west of where its at, it would likely get more attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 08:37 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,101,871 times
San Antonio
El Paso
Albuquerque
Fresno
Wichita
Corpus Christi
Laredo
Lubbock
Reno
Knoxville

This also could be because I'm from the east coast and live in the Midwest and therefore my social circles and news sources don't spend much time on the above cities.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:52 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
San Antonio
El Paso
Albuquerque
Fresno
Wichita
Corpus Christi
Laredo
Lubbock
Reno
Knoxville

This also could be because I'm from the east coast and live in the Midwest and therefore my social circles and news sources don't spend much time on the above cities.
San Antonio is the only "major" city on that list. The rest are small, regional cities at best.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:04 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,101,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
San Antonio is the only "major" city on that list. The rest are small, regional cities at best.
Yeah I suppose I did use a liberal definition of "major".

Old 10-06-2016, 06:56 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,548 times
Fort Worth - If it was where say, Abilene is rather than 30 miles directly to the west of a major city, it would get a lot more attention and recognition

Hampton Roads area - A lot of people don't realize HR is a metro area of almost 2 million people and Virginia's largest city is in the area. It doesn't have any professional sports teams and there are smaller cities/metros that are well known and have them, not to mention it's off the beaten path and only one major interstate highway links it to the I-95 corridor, and the bridge-tunnels are major traffic chokepoints. It doesn't help that the area is pretty transient due to the heavy military presence, so it doesn't have much of an identity associated with it.

Jacksonville - Overshadowed by Miami, Orlando, and Tampa

Baltimore - DC, Philadelphia, and NYC all surround it and overshadow it

Oklahoma City

Last edited by biscuit_head; 10-06-2016 at 07:05 AM..

Old 10-06-2016, 07:42 AM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
I agree with all of these except San Jose. It's the middle of Silicon Valley, which gets enormous attention.
Most people don't know that it is the largest city in the region. It is overshadowed by San Francisco and Oakland in terms of culture and city amenities. Sacramento is overshadowed by the other major cities in California including San Francisco.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:53 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
n

Hampton Roads area - A lot of people don't realize HR is a metro area of almost 2 million people and Virginia's largest city is in the area. It doesn't have any professional sports teams and there are smaller cities/metros that are well known and have them, not to mention it's off the beaten path and only one major interstate highway links it to the I-95 corridor, and the bridge-tunnels are major traffic chokepoints. It doesn't help that the area is pretty transient due to the heavy military presence, so it doesn't have much of an identity associated with it.
I think the issue is that there's no single city of note. Taken alone, Norfolk is on par with Corpus Christi.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:37 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I think the issue is that there's no single city of note. Taken alone, Norfolk is on par with Corpus Christi.
True. It's the financial/commercial center of HR, but Virginia Beach is larger, but more suburban in nature. And the other cities there are about the same size, so there's no "shining star," so to speak. Just lots of mid-size cities thrown together. It doesn't feel very cohesive at all.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:22 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,846 times
I don't think Baltimore is overlooked today...maybe when this thread first started that was case but not now...the good things about Baltimore tend to be overlooked but for better or for worse, Baltimore (like Detroit), has a lot of name recognition

Old 10-06-2016, 09:34 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,753 times
In the past, I heard Baltimore mentioned not too rarely. Though, it was mostly in relation to the musical Hairspray. Cannot get enough of "Good Morning Baltimore."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.