Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 07:44 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonetaniard1 View Post
Ya, I caught that when you quoted it, but I was just making a relationship of the two.
Oh okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 07:45 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
where I'm at now....

for the positives, unemployment is low, there's plenty of work, the town is growing, there's definitely signs of wealth, it's a town that's getting cleaner looking, it has the largest university in the state, and a new business (bel cheese plant) is coming. Town itself is run well with progressive city management/council.
crime here is nonexistent.

//www.city-data.com/city/Brooki...th-Dakota.html

Larger growing city to the south, and live along a fast interstate, so it's not like it's totally in the middle of nowhere. Swiftel center gets some good bands from time to time, such as Disturbed who have been here more than once since I've lived here. No state income tax. Good summers.

However it's too isolated, winters too cold (actually it's the springs and falls that last too long, I don't mind the cold winters they just drag out) , too flat, with not enough forested areas, no large areas of water with beaches, not enough paved roads (no state income tax will do that), housing is fairly tight and expensive ... it's a toss up, to leave a job with good working conditions in a temperature controlled environment when I'd probably never find one that will equal the pay that I make now, just for more things to do and a warmer climate... I toss this one all around all the time as I look at google maps for possible alternatives.

Last edited by sholomar; 08-16-2012 at 08:03 PM..

Old 08-16-2012, 07:52 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times
Florida was it for me.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:01 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
You don't see anything positive about being 15 minutes from beautiful beaches and natural preserves/barrier islands? I know Jacksonville isn't very pretty, but after I drive through there I do on to Emerald Isle - which is gorgeous...or Beaufort - also gorgeous.
Depending on where you live in Jacksonville, the beach is up to an hour away unless you want to go to Onslow Beach on Camp Lejeune. As for Beaufort, that too is an hour + away. I agree that Beaufort is adorable... but one of the points I made was that everything half decent was an hour away

Unfortunately I'm not much of a 'beach person'. I grew up 10 minutes walk from the beach in Australia so have never thought of it as 'any big deal'. When I first moved to the Midwest when I was 22, I thought I may miss the beach, but I didn't at all. It's just not my kind of thing Each to their own!

Old 08-17-2012, 04:43 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,499 times
Dallas (Texas): sprawl, lack of congregation places, sprawl, NRA lovers, sprawl, violence, sprawl, trashy people, sprawl, rednecks, sprawl, conservatives, sprawl, awful weather, sprawl, lack of green, sprawl, bad food with the exception of the amazing BBQ (I miss it in fact), sprawl, life-less enviroment, sprawl, dull center, sprawl, religious wackos, sprawl, traffic, sprawl, pathetic night life, sprawl, megachurches... er, did I mention sprawl?

Last edited by JMT; 08-17-2012 at 05:33 AM.. Reason: only North American cities in this forum, please.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:12 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,115 times
South Florida----
Not humanity. Three years I will never get back. I can only hope time will mercifully purge my memory of the horror. A cultureless void--traffic, malls, bourgeois, trashy gated "communities". Like living in the parking lot of South of the Border but with mean angry peopledroids instead of cool plaster dinosaurus rex statues . . .

http://www.sciway.net/sc-photos/wp-c...rero-tower.jpg

All that is missing is the COPS or Girls Gone Wild film crews . . .

Last edited by JMT; 08-17-2012 at 08:35 AM..

Old 08-17-2012, 09:44 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Dallas (Texas): sprawl, lack of congregation places, sprawl, NRA lovers, sprawl, violence, sprawl, trashy people, sprawl, rednecks, sprawl, conservatives, sprawl, awful weather, sprawl, lack of green, sprawl, bad food with the exception of the amazing BBQ (I miss it in fact), sprawl, life-less enviroment, sprawl, dull center, sprawl, religious wackos, sprawl, traffic, sprawl, pathetic night life, sprawl, megachurches... er, did I mention sprawl?
I guess the sprawl has gotten to you. The religious people and rednecks would get to me, too.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:57 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
No. Every place I've ever lived was the right place for me at the time in my life when I lived there. Some of those places would not be right for me now.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:12 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
I guess the sprawl has gotten to you. The religious people and rednecks would get to me, too.

Well, in fact the atrocious sprawl of Dallas is the first reason I strongly dislike that city (as well as Houston/Miami/Atlanta/Phoenix): I always shake my head when anyone tells me that TX cities are less stressful than NYC/Boston/Chicago/San Francisco... sorry, such a car-centric city IS the epitome of stress and unhealthy life.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:59 AM

30 posts, read 52,509 times
people in south florida are some of the most shallow people I have ever known
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.