Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 02:57 AM

13,337 posts, read 39,784,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Agreed, also maybe take a look see at what KY residency requirements are for tuition purposes. I believe TN is pretty lenient in that regard. Could be a money saver.
This is very true. Tennessee has no time frame requirement for establishing in-state tuition. Once someone moves to Tennessee and establishes residency, s/he can qualify for in-state tuition the next day.

The Commonwealth of Kentucky requires that a student live in Kentucky for 12 months before qualifying for in-state tuition:

13 KAR 2:045. Determination of residency status for admission and tuition assessment purposes.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 11:29 AM

26,687 posts, read 41,588,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffc View Post
My husband and I are looking into moving to either KY or TN. We are stationed at Fort Hood, TX right now, but are both from Central/South FL originally. Anywayyy he gets out of the Army next year and I am so over the heat that FL and TX have. And I also want to live some where that has real seasons!! We have never lived through the snow (unless you count the one time it snowed about an once here at Hood and they shut the whole post down LOL) but we both love the cold and are willing to try the snow out! I would rather freeze my butt off being more north than having to deal with a hotter summer living more south. KY and TN both have the gun laws and firework laws we can live with, and it's not too far from FL that we would dread the drive down.
But seeing as neither of us has lived there we have no clue what towns to look into. We want to have neighbors, but we also like our room. I would prefer not to live in a neighborhood, I prefer a more country setting/small town feel, where I have a neighbor I can walk to but not one close enough that they can hear everything we do in our yard but everyone still knows each other. We also would need to live somewhere that is still close enough to a town that both of us could find jobs, and attend college (my husband specifically). We would LOVE to move somewhere that we can shoot on our property, but that is not a necessity right away. We do plan on renting, getting a feel for the area etc., before we make the move to purchase a permanent place.
Any advice on where I should research would be awesome. I'd also love comparisons between TN and KY if you have any!
I'd look into Elizabethtown or Hopkinsville in Kentucky.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:05 AM

58 posts, read 126,629 times
Thanks for all the input! I am going to research all the cities suggested. I am leaning more towards Kentucky, my husband more towards Tennessee. I also need to research sports in those areas, my husband is a big Hockey and Airsoft player, so finding places for him to play will factor in on where we chose as well.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:17 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,163,877 times
I would do the Tri-Cities area of Tennessee/Virginia (bristol is in both states).

I grew up in Bristol, VA and I loved it. We had warm summers and good winters. It is high enough in the mountains to get snow but not be ridiculous and likewise its altitude makes for bearable summers. I don't know how fixated on the TN side of it you area but the schools are better in VA and our sales tax is lower. Tennessee is great too though...I consider both states home because when you live in the Tri-Cities area you bounce back and forth all the time. Most people that live in one state work and shop in the other and vice-versa. Johnson City, TN has ETSU which is a great school and if you cross into VA (not far at all) you have UVA-Wise which is a branch of the University of Virginia. Both schools are really good and well respected in the area.

So....my vote for you would most definitely be the Tri Cities.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:48 AM

58 posts, read 126,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
I would do the Tri-Cities area of Tennessee/Virginia (bristol is in both states).

I grew up in Bristol, VA and I loved it. We had warm summers and good winters. It is high enough in the mountains to get snow but not be ridiculous and likewise its altitude makes for bearable summers. I don't know how fixated on the TN side of it you area but the schools are better in VA and our sales tax is lower. Tennessee is great too though...I consider both states home because when you live in the Tri-Cities area you bounce back and forth all the time. Most people that live in one state work and shop in the other and vice-versa. Johnson City, TN has ETSU which is a great school and if you cross into VA (not far at all) you have UVA-Wise which is a branch of the University of Virginia. Both schools are really good and well respected in the area.

So....my vote for you would most definitely be the Tri Cities.
This area would work if my husband really pushes for TN. The biggest problem I am running into is finding a place in the areas I am looking at (Surrounding Louisville area, and Tri-Cities TN area) for my husband to play hockey (he prefers inline, but is willing to try ice). That's a make or break for him =(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.