Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 12:18 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,077,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILRAZORHOG View Post
When most job transfers or businesses from the Northeast, Midwest, Southwest, or Northwest move to the south they often go to: Atlanta Georgia, Miami Florida, Alexandria Virginia, Charlotte North Carolina, etc. Not Jackson MS, Little Rock AR, Mobile AL, or Lousiville Ky. When people outside the south stereotype the south they often mention Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, and Kentucky. Not Georgia, Florida, Virginia, North Carolina, etc.
I agree with you on the first part, but I gotta tell you, lifelong Northerner and I've never heard anybody make a distinction. If people are dumb enough to stereotype the South, they're dumb enough to lump it all together. Honestly, Georgia (outside of maybe Atlanta) doesn't have any more positive public face with most people than Mississippi...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 12:21 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,096,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Amen to that! New Orleans is definitely on the right track and getting better each day - and considering the huge blow that area took just 6 years ago or so - it's amazing. It really showcases the gifts, attitudes and resiliency of the people.

I love it there and encourage anyone who hasn't visited it in the past couple of years to go see our beautiful New Orleans - one of our nation's treasures! I'd venture to say that outside the 9th ward, NOLA is actually in better shape than it was before Katrina.
That's why my address will soon read New Orleans.
Even the 9th ward has bounced back, my furniture is in a storage unit in the 9th ward. New houses line some streets, many able to withstand Cat 5 storms.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:36 PM

3,087 posts, read 3,201,681 times
What kind of work will you be doing in N.O.?

Old 08-18-2012, 03:25 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,011,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Um...Louisville? Birmingham? Over 1 million. You do know we're talking about metro areas, right? If we weren't, none of the southern states would have a city with population above 1 million.

Louisville, Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Birmingham, Alabama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You alone defined major city as an assumption in this thread. Nobody else mentioned anything about specific size or whether or not it pertained to city limits or metro areas. So, in effect, the "we're" should be "I'm" and the "we weren't" should be "I wasn't".

Old 08-18-2012, 03:32 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,973,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILRAZORHOG View Post
No major cities. No pro sports teams. No major population growth. Always the center of negative stereotypes in the media and in the minds of northerners. Will Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, and Kentucky ever gain the same popularity as Florida, Georgia, Virginia, Louisiana, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Texas?
rnc2mbfl...I'm afraid that the OP above mentioned major cities, and qualified FL, GA, VA, LA, TN, NC, SC, and TX as having at least one while saying that the others don't. I simply pointed out that AL and KY both have major cities as large or larger than some states on the first list. I don't know why you're being so sensitive about it...but okay, whatever.

I also pointed out that none of the states listed have a city over 1 million (except TX) unless we're using MSA data. I really don't understand you're argument, but WE are talking about metro areas and not city limits - as is always the case on this site unless otherwise stipulated.

Good day.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:26 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,218,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
That's why my address will soon read New Orleans.
Even the 9th ward has bounced back, my furniture is in a storage unit in the 9th ward. New houses line some streets, many able to withstand Cat 5 storms.
YAY! Good luck.

I am originally from Metairie. I love New Orleans. My husband and I visit there at least once a year. I'd love to live there but our future may be moving us to Virginia or West Virginia. I'm online looking at property as we speak!

It's AMAZING what real estate dollars can buy in West Virginia! Sheeze! And we're moving from Texas, where the cost of living and real estate are already low. I am blown away.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:51 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,655,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
I agree with you on the first part, but I gotta tell you, lifelong Northerner and I've never heard anybody make a distinction. If people are dumb enough to stereotype the South, they're dumb enough to lump it all together. Honestly, Georgia (outside of maybe Atlanta) doesn't have any more positive public face with most people than Mississippi...
Agreed, with the one exception that Florida (coasts only really) seems to often get a pass, the others most certainly do not.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:29 AM

23,309 posts, read 43,763,348 times
Don't yall ever get tired of talking about us?

Old 08-19-2012, 09:37 AM

7,469 posts, read 6,185,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
You nailed it.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:42 AM

10,189 posts, read 7,909,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post

It is only the ignorant that do all of the talking. And no, you can't fight stupidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.