Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2012, 04:13 PM

52 posts, read 95,342 times

Advertisements

Dont know if being from California my opinion counts but I agree with MOPride that some parts of Missouri feel southern. The news channels refer to Arkansas as the midwest, but those news channels are wrong its still the south. I even felt a slight hint of the south in the very east part of Kansas but for some reason Kansas City felt like it had a south flavor to it as to St louis feels all midwest.

Ive been thru Maryland twice and it felt southern to me but Ive only been thru Washington D.C and Baltimore.Perhaps things have changed since 1995 and 2007? But Virginia, NC,SC GA,TN,MS,AL,LA,KY are for sure southern to me. How about West Virginia though could that count as part of the south?

Old 09-03-2012, 04:17 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california_leavin View Post
Dont know if being from California my opinion counts but I agree with MOPride that some parts of Missouri feel southern. The news channels refer to Arkansas as the midwest, but those news channels are wrong its still the south. I even felt a slight hint of the south in the very east part of Kansas but for some reason Kansas City felt like it had a south flavor to it as to St louis feels all midwest.

Ive been thru Maryland twice and it felt southern to me but Ive only been thru Washington D.C and Baltimore.Perhaps things have changed since 1995 and 2007? But Virginia, NC,SC GA,TN,MS,AL,LA,KY are for sure southern to me. How about West Virginia though could that count as part of the south?
All those states you named are definitely southern by no stretch of the imagination; you are correct! West Virginia is southern until you get up in the panhandles. So they say anyway.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:25 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,660,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
All those states you named are definitely southern by no stretch of the imagination; you are correct! West Virginia is southern until you get up in the panhandles. So they say anyway.
WV is hillybilly but not necessarily southern.

Hillybilly =/= southern.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:46 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post

Hillybilly =/= southern.
I never understood that. Aren't all hillbilly's southern? What's the difference between a hillbilly and a southerner? Serious question.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:47 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
Quote:

Hillybilly =/= southern.
Well, ok. I always believed there was some kind of relationship between the two.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:59 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Well, ok. I always believed there was some kind of relationship between the two.
No more than there is a relationship between hillbilly and rural areas of the Northeast and Midwest.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:02 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times
Quote:
Most of Missouri, most of Maryland, and all of Delaware are not southern. TX, OK, AR, KY, TN, WV, VA, NC, SC, GA, AL, MS, LA, and FL are all the south.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:

Hillybilly =/= southern.
WEst Virginia is culturally and linguistically southern.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california_leavin View Post

KC is not the south. It's Midwestern. Washington, D.C. and Baltimore are not southern whatsoever.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:07 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,660,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
WEst Virginia is culturally and linguistically southern.
It's not culturally southern. Linguistically it's intermediate, more of a transition zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.