Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 03:17 PM

581 posts, read 969,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmachine View Post
Nobody I know from Maryland considers it southern. Maybe people in Crisfield, Easton, Salisbury, Waldorf, and other country parts like that but ask someone from Montgomery county or Baltimore and they'll say its either mid atlantic, both northern and southern or neither northern or southern. No one outright calls Maryland southern, not anyone with an ounce of pride in them.
I don't ask anyone whether they consider it southern or not because people think too hard when given the question. I just figure out what they think it is from what I hear in everyday talking.

Anyway, my personal opinion is that Maryland is the most perfect example of a moden-day border state you can get. I don't think it can be rightfully placed in one or the other. I do consider it Mid-Atlantic (By the common MD definition of the term, not the CityData definition) though.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:31 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
lol no wonder why maryland got annexed
by the north in the civil war. the south
doesn't want them, so the north just took
them.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:34 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
lol no wonder why maryland got annexed
by the north in the civil war. the south
doesn't want them, so the north just took
them.

This guy gets it!

Do you hear that loser kid? We didn't want yall....so the asscrap north took you.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:56 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
Somehow for me it's the opposite, I come across no Marylanders who would call the state Northeastern. Most of them say it is Mid-Atlantic or Southern but laugh or get offended at the label of 'Northeastern'. In fact, CityData is the only place I hear anyone call Maryland northeastern, in RL just about everyone calls it southern. I wonder how it is that we each only seem to be meeting one kind of Marylander.

It's just very odd to me, because other folks here say their Marylader friends all identify as northeasterners, when I had never even heard of Maryland being in the northeast, not from Pennsylvanians, Marylanders, Delawareans, West Virginians, or Virginians, until I found this website.

It's honestly just weird to go to a website and find people on the internet claiming the exact opposite of what you've heard from everyone in RL.
Most of my Marylander friends I've known face to face, some online. So I'm not sure what to tell ya. :V

Old 09-14-2012, 05:53 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
I've never considered MD southern either. Growing up, before I turned into a city geek, I always though that south starts at VA.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:35 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
This guy gets it!

Do you hear that loser kid? We didn't want yall....so the asscrap north took you.
Maryland is a rich state and has the highest median household income in the U.S. We know we're badass, so who cares if nobody "wants" us? ;-)

Old 09-14-2012, 09:56 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Mother of God. I leave the thread for like 2 days and the conversation is still revolving endlessly around Maryland?

Old 09-14-2012, 10:02 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
I've found that the people that argue semantics over regions are just domestic minded people. Seriously, try entering the 21st century people. This is an international and globally competitive world. This world is about cities not insignificant regions in the United States.

Personally living in Washington DC no one here cares at all about any of you "southerners" or "northerners". We find ourselves more connected to New York, Chicago, London, Paris, Tokyo, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Singapore, Hong Kong, Beijing than we do to some where like Richmond, Savannah, Providence, Hartford or somewhere domestic and regional like that.

Us Washingtonians are big city minded people. We're thinking the world, not the "south" or "north" or whatever else is going on here. Over 500 posts in this thread and where has it gone? Talking about some insignificant regions on the nations maps. Congratulations on letting it consume hours of your day for this one meager topic.

I'll let you day dreamers continue now.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:09 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valencian View Post
I've found that the people that argue semantics over regions are just domestic minded people. Seriously, try entering the 21st century people. This world is about cities not insignificant regions in the United States.

Personally living in Washington DC no one here cares at all about any of you "southerners" or "northerners". We find ourselves more connected to New York, Chicago, London, Paris, Tokyo, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Singapore, Hong Kong, Beijing than we do to some where like Richmond, Savannah, Providence, Hartford or somewhere domestic and regional like that.

Us Washingtonians are big city minded people. We're thinking the world, not the "south" or "north" or whatever else is going on here.
You're describing how the modern white-collar world functions. My career requires me to work with people from the kinds of cities you mentioned. I agree that Washington, D.C. is one of the most international cities in the U.S.

I think a lot of people are surprised to find out how high D.C. ranks as a global city. I kind of was myself. However, maybe it's better for it to not have such a high profile.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 09-14-2012 at 10:53 PM..

Old 09-14-2012, 11:35 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valencian View Post
I've found that the people that argue semantics over regions are just domestic minded people. Seriously, try entering the 21st century people. This is an international and globally competitive world. This world is about cities not insignificant regions in the United States.

Us Washingtonians are big city minded people. We're thinking the world, not the "south" or "north" or whatever else is going on here. Over 500 posts in this thread and where has it gone? Talking about some insignificant regions on the nations maps. Congratulations on letting it consume hours of your day for this one meager topic.

I'll let you day dreamers continue now.
Duh, it's the capital of the U.S., so its connections with those places are largely the results of that. But let's not act as though DC is a global city in the very same way cities like NYC, Chicago, Paris, London, Hong Kong, etc. are because that would be semi-laughable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.