Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 07:53 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times

Advertisements

Eh, don't get your panties into a wad.

There are worse things in this world than a bunch of d-bag hipsters....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 09:27 AM

939 posts, read 1,892,600 times
I was complaining about hipsters before it was cool..

Old 09-21-2012, 09:31 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
But I literally thought that there was some kind of costume party going on somewhere.
Sounds typical for every generation, to me. As we get older, we start thinking everyone should dress according to our standards.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:08 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
My neighborhood has a reputation of being a hipster neighborhood. But the reality is that they hang out here in the business district but if you go off into the side streets where real people actually live, there aren't that many of them.

If you have ever seen the show "Two Broke Girls" it takes place in Brooklyn where the girls work in a Brooklyn diner. One of the waitresses sometimes tells off her customers at the beginning of the show and they are usually pretentious hipsters who are treating her rudely because they are looking down their noses at her. She really zings them.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:56 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Lol touche

Old 10-06-2012, 09:21 AM

1,018 posts, read 1,849,669 times
This is really about the course of gentrification. First artsy types move into a decayed urban neighborhood. As they begin to upgrade it, they're followed by more conventional, upwardly-striving people. This might involve white people moving into a formerly black or latino neighborhood, or it might just be different kinds of white people (see South Philadelphia). This process is a double edged sword.

On the positive side, the neighborhood gets physically upgraded. Probably crime goes down because there are more people on the street and maybe the police are paying more attention. The city may make improvements--new lighting, new/improved parks--that should have happened long before but didn't. On the negative side, rents go up for existing residents and they may get displaced. Even if people aren't displaced, they may feel culturally uncomfortable, like Chicano 3000X. On balance I'd rather see city neighborhoods get upgraded than degraded, but more attention needs to be paid to the situation of existing residents.

Chicano 3000X, the city of Los Angeles has a mural preservation law which requires that the artist at least be notified if a mural is going to be removed. I wonder if that procedure was followed in this case.

Maybe it's just bad attitude from Northern California, but when I go to LA, it seems like an awful lot of the people (certainly not everybody) are going to a costume party! It's one of the things I like about the place.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:05 AM

9,526 posts, read 16,507,823 times
They are all over Portland, Or. At least one sees them just about every day somewhere. Never quite understood what their purpose is, or what they bring to themself or society. Then again never really understand Portland's population. Hippies, Homeless, Yuppies, Alternative and New Age types, alot of poverty mixed in there, that the marketing adds conviently leave out. Some Average Joe and Jane's or high income types that work, own a house, and pay the taxes to pay the city's bills. Never understood why Joe and Jane stay in that type city. Or at least put up with the fact their paying for Portland to exist at all. However to each thier own. And of course all the hipsters. Now I'm not saying this is all hipsters, however I did see alot of them shopping at the Pearl District Safeway with that Oregon Food Card.

I'm sure the TV show Portlandia did its homework carefully on the type of population Portland consisted of when choosing Portland. A large population of hipsters.

Last edited by Jimrob1; 10-06-2012 at 11:30 AM..

Old 10-06-2012, 12:44 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Complaining about hipsters went out of style around 2008. Now days its cool to complain about those all those damn kids with their dub-step music.

Last edited by Deezus; 10-06-2012 at 12:59 PM..

Old 10-06-2012, 12:57 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,295,747 times
They're all over the place in Portland. I think I have gotten desensitized to them, because anymore when I think of the "Keep Portland Weird" motto, I think of hipsters with the that's-the-way-it-is attitude. But Portland has other help in earning the title: Street bums, effed-up politicians.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:00 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,295,747 times
I didn't read the last few pages of this thread, so I just noticed that the last three threads on here are Portlanders. Funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.