Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 11:39 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times

Advertisements

Walking down areas like the neighborhood of Los Feliz in Los Angeles, you see these folks dressed weirdly. Looking like they dont shower with a neckbeard and drinking organic drinks.

Does it annoy you that they are overrunning cities these days? Funny thing is that I'm a normal dressed latino sticking out like a soar thumb with my LA shirt. Some dude looked intimidated by me as he was walking his small dog. He kept looking back at me then quickly made a left turn.

The women are cute though. I'll give 'em that.

But I literally thought that there was some kind of costume party going on somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 11:54 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Walking down areas like the neighborhood of Los Feliz in Los Angeles, you see these folks dressed weirdly. Looking like they dont shower with a neckbeard and drinking organic drinks.

Does it annoy you that they are overrunning cities these days? Funny thing is that I'm a normal dressed latino sticking out like a soar thumb with my LA shirt. Some dude looked intimidated by me as he was walking his small dog. He kept looking back at me then quickly made a left turn.

The women are cute though. I'll give 'em that.

But I literally thought that there was some kind of costume party going on somewhere.

Like all fads/trends this too shall pass only to be replaced but a new incarnation. Personally I find them in my city to be doing more good than harm as they are very much at the forefront of re establishing some neglected neighborhoods. On the whole more benefit than harm.

Is Philadelphia the new Brooklyn? BK expats on why they left | Brokelyn

Also diversity my friend, whether it be hispter, Latino or Asian

Old 08-20-2012, 12:00 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,716,816 times
I liked it better when gays gentrified neighborhoods. Hipsters offer no unique culture and have bad attitudes.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:04 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I liked it better when gays gentrified neighborhoods. Hipsters offer no unique culture and have bad attitudes.
In that case I think I'll take hipsters(no offense, gays welcome, but I dont want my ENTIRE neighborhood to become one big sausage fest).

Old 08-20-2012, 12:08 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Yeah, they're all over in Chicago and I have to roll my eyes. A big group of people all conforming to be non-conformists. Then they act like they know more than "those poor saps" who live a 9-5 life with a salary job and security. If they don't want that life that's fine - but get over yourself. I know it's more just being young/inmature than anything and those traits show up in all groups, but I still roll my eyes.

Watching them all wearing their random styles and random haircuts with their iphones, etc. - I really want to point out that they're exactly the same as everyone else they're trying to "call out"! You're just conforming to an image.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:10 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,947,437 times
Where's Eric Cartman when you need him?

Old 08-20-2012, 12:20 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,716,816 times
Quote:
In that case I think I'll take hipsters(no offense, gays welcome, but I dont want my ENTIRE neighborhood to become one big sausage fest).
good point

Old 08-20-2012, 12:20 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
the new generation.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:30 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,383,617 times
Quote:
You know, it used to bother me (and to an extent it still does) that there were so many hipsters everywhere, but unless I partake in their activities or are forced to be part of their subculture, it really doesn't bother me. It's not like they engage in crime, aside from listening to really awful Indie bands.

Plus, it seems most of the girls I talk to nowadays are either outright hipsters or at least have very hipsterish traits. Not bad for a poor brown kid from North Hollywood

It's better than what a lot of these neighborhoods used to be: lower income or ghetto neighborhoods. I'd rather have roving gangs of hipsters asking me to come with them to a Dave Matthews Band concert than roving gangs of 15 year olds screaming out "SUR TRECE" and asking me where I'm from. The latter isn't even dangerous, just really really annoying and obnoxious.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:40 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Hipsters can be annoying, but whenever I venture out to the suburbs or rural areas I sort of miss them. They're easy to ignore and probably bother me less than than rednecks, cholos, gutter punks, country club Republicans, angry eco-hippies, sportos, motorheads, geeks, bloods, wastoids, and dweebies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.