Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 03:12 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
You can live in just about any city without a car. I think the better expression is, for the average person when does owning a car become more of a hassle than riding PT?

I think the only clear city that fits that bill is NYC, and only in Manhattan. Queens or Staten Island, people would probably find a car more convenient.

I can see people making some sort of argument for Chicago, San Francisco, Philadelphia, or Boston.
Yes. You can live in any city without a car, but the question was can you live WELL without a car. That's a huge qualifier.

I'd say another thing, other than transit, would be if a city has extensive job opportunities within walking distance of extensive residential areas. NYC, Boston and Philly have this. Probably a few others too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 07:46 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Yes. You can live in any city without a car, but the question was can you live WELL without a car. That's a huge qualifier.

I'd say another thing, other than transit, would be if a city has extensive job opportunities within walking distance of extensive residential areas. NYC, Boston and Philly have this. Probably a few others too.
Not many people in Manhattan are really walking to Midtown or Downtown, just pointing that out. Doesn't mean New York isn't easily the least difficult place to live without a car in the US, though.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:13 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Not many people in Manhattan are really walking to Midtown or Downtown, just pointing that out. Doesn't mean New York isn't easily the least difficult place to live without a car in the US, though.
This is very true. Maybe, for the sake of clarity, we should all agree that Manhattan is absolutely and by far the best place in the United States to live without a car.

Manhattan..............................certain other areas of NYC.......Philly, Boston....a few others............................................ .................................................. ............everywhere else.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:11 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Been car free in Chicago for 9 years and love it. Not a financial issue, just don't want or need a car.

There are a handful of usual suspects. NYC, Boston, Chicago, Philly, San Fran. It's possible in those places. Probably DC too?

Old 08-26-2012, 09:48 AM

221 posts, read 597,614 times
You can make it work in a variety of places, but you'll need to accept certain limitations, and also develop friendships with people who own cars. It helps having a quick car rental place nearby, as well.

Phoenix would seem to be about the worst large city in which to be without a car, but I know people who make it work. They work and live along the new light-rail, within walking distance to small grocery/convenience/drug stores. They also have car rental on speed-dial. A car rental might seem "expensive" until you realize that between payments/maintenance and insurance, you're likely spending at least $300/mo on a car. Depending on the rates you get, you can rent a car for 10 days for that amount.

One thing that will usually make owning a car necessary is having children.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:00 PM

3,707 posts, read 5,982,315 times
There are parts of Atlanta where car-free living is perfectly feasible (namely Midtown and Decatur). It's not super easy, but here's an article about a guy who does it:

Driving crazy: Why don't I own a car? Because Atlanta, despite its reputation, makes it possible.

One good point is that it's a lot easier to move to a new city and not have a car than it is to redesign your existing car-dependent life in your city to not have a car.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:20 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
There are parts of Atlanta where car-free living is perfectly feasible (namely Midtown and Decatur). It's not super easy, but here's an article about a guy who does it:

Driving crazy: Why don't I own a car? Because Atlanta, despite its reputation, makes it possible.

One good point is that it's a lot easier to move to a new city and not have a car than it is to redesign your existing car-dependent life in your city to not have a car.
I would add downtown to your list, and maybe even parts of Buckhead...but you're right, it is feasible if you choose your area wisely.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:26 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotQuiteNative View Post
You can make it work in a variety of places, but you'll need to accept certain limitations, and also develop friendships with people who own cars. It helps having a quick car rental place nearby, as well.

Phoenix would seem to be about the worst large city in which to be without a car, but I know people who make it work. They work and live along the new light-rail, within walking distance to small grocery/convenience/drug stores. They also have car rental on speed-dial. A car rental might seem "expensive" until you realize that between payments/maintenance and insurance, you're likely spending at least $300/mo on a car. Depending on the rates you get, you can rent a car for 10 days for that amount.

One thing that will usually make owning a car necessary is having children.
I bet Phoenix is far from the worst, really. Probably pretty hard to live car-free but there are a lot of large southern cities without any LRT and are much more sprawling / low density than Phoenix.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:29 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,179,198 times
Portland. If you live in the part of town between the Tualatin Mountains and 82nd Street and maybe 2 miles each way north-south of Burnside Street.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:36 PM

43,610 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Any dense city with at least a decent mass transit system will be pretty easy to avoid owning a car. Zip Car has also made it more convenient.

Boston
NYC
Phildelphia
D.C.
Chicago

Those are some that come to mind.
You can add San Francisco to the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.