Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 03:01 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Pittsburgh comes to mind first. Orlando, Raleigh, and Charleston, SC are good candidates here too.
By far. This is the first city I think of when I think of an American Renaissance. It went from sooty and depressing to scenic, updated, clean and progressive. I wish I knew it better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 03:30 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
By far. This is the first city I think of when I think of an American Renaissance. It went from sooty and depressing to scenic, updated, clean and progressive. I wish I knew it better.
I've not yet had the pleasure of visiting yet myself, but I've seen and read enough to know that it's gone through a dramatic turnaround. That's a wonderful thing.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:59 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,605,757 times
Las Vegas,NV

The old Vegas of the 1980's is gone

Too bad, hotel rooms were cheap back then,
now the strip looks like Disneyland.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:12 PM

27 posts, read 40,654 times
I would say a lot has changed in the Des Moines/West Des Moines IA MSA in that time!

Old 09-11-2012, 10:26 AM

395 posts, read 859,516 times
Quote:
Portland has always been liberal. Portland, college town Eugene, and other parts of Oregon have reputedly been meccas for hippies since there were hippies. They co-exist with "suits" who pay lip service to being liberal, but really aren't. The PNW is very schizophrenic this way.
Lol I get a kick how supposed liberals are always the ones that overspend, live only in high end neiborhoods, vote for a centrist party yet somehow claim to be liberal.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:57 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,956,968 times
DC used to be the most dangerous city in the country in the late 80's and 90's and the 70's wasnt no picnic either. The early 00's were bad too. Now DC is a lot safer, even though its not chocolate city anymore.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:06 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Portland has always been liberal. Portland, college town Eugene, and other parts of Oregon have reputedly been meccas for hippies since there were hippies. They co-exist with "suits" who pay lip service to being liberal, but really aren't. The PNW is very schizophrenic this way.
Well maybe it's in the eye of the beholder but when I first moved to Portland in '78 I thought it was a pretty conservative town. But it was also a pretty mind-your-own-business-live and let-live kind of place where people didn't get in your face about your political leanings or way of life. Today they can be quite militant in their liberalism.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I've not yet had the pleasure of visiting yet myself, but I've seen and read enough to know that it's gone through a dramatic turnaround. That's a wonderful thing.
I've seen pictures, maps and there's even a YouTube showing the tunnel approach into the confluence of the rivers and the skyline. I've also perused the real estate websites and seen some beautiful normally-sized homes in leafy neighborhoods. While winter might be harsher than a lot of places in the lower 48, it is indeed an attractive city.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Here. Watch this:

ENTERING PITTSBURGH VIA FORT PITT TUNNEL - YouTube

Old 09-12-2012, 05:42 AM

27 posts, read 40,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmachine View Post
DC used to be the most dangerous city in the country in the late 80's and 90's and the 70's wasnt no picnic either. The early 00's were bad too. Now DC is a lot safer, even though its not chocolate city anymore.
My brother did two "study abroad" semesters in his time at Iowa State University. Usually those are all outside the country, and one of them was (New Zealand), but the first semester was in DC (this was 2005). He lived in Silver Spring. According to my brother, at the time, PG county was the murder capital of the country, and wouldn't you know a) he took us there, and b) it was a long walk from the Metro stop to the Popeyes which was our destination (it would be another couple year before Popeyes would arrive in the 515 (now there's several of them) so we hadn't tried it yet.) He'd fallen in love, and wanted us to try it. We thought it was great at the time and were pretty excited about the chain coming here....now we're a little burned out on it. c) our time in PG county, while spent being wary, was uneventful (other than exposing us to Popeyes)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.