Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 07:25 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,865,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Different strokes for different folks I guess. Personally I get that feeling more when I'm driving through open lush countryside or heavily wooded areas (that is really my favorite, especially during the Fall). Driving in an open flat desert to me would make me feel like I was the sole survivor of a nuclear apocalypse or something.

Typical Phoenix commute;

Mad Max2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 07:32 AM

65 posts, read 75,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
New York State has been losing businesses for decades. NYS is consistantly ranked as the worst state for business.
It's ranked as among the worst state for business by right-wing, anti-tax organizations.

They always rank rich, prosperous, job-healthy, high-wage states like NY, CT, NJ, CA, MD, MA as "worst states for business" and poor, uneducated, low wage states like MS, AL, AR, SC, AZ as "best states for business".

The fact is that the richest states are all these supposedly "bad for business" states.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:34 AM

65 posts, read 75,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
In New York, law abiding citizens cannot own a gun but criminals with guns are all over New York City.
NYC has the lowest crime rate of any U.S. city with a population of 500,000 or greater.

So obviously "criminals with guns" are much less common in NYC than in other cities. Gun control probably plays a role in this, compared to places like Phoenix where everyone is packing heat, and crime is correspondingly high.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:12 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,568,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_OH View Post
It's ranked as among the worst state for business by right-wing, anti-tax organizations.

They always rank rich, prosperous, job-healthy, high-wage states like NY, CT, NJ, CA, MD, MA as "worst states for business" and poor, uneducated, low wage states like MS, AL, AR, SC, AZ as "best states for business".

The fact is that the richest states are all these supposedly "bad for business" states.
AZ in not an uneducated state. I mean it's got its' faults for sure and I'm one to point them out, but that isn't one of them. It's a skewed stat because of the high no. of immigrants, illegals, but most of the middle classI knew had Bachelor's & Master's, incl. retirees who'd retired from professions in former states. True, call center jobs and the like are there, too, but there are multitudes of colleges in the Phoenix area--ASU, Grand Canyon, Maricopa comm. colleges, Walden, Univ. of Phoenix's, etc. Tucson has NAU.
I don't think MS and AL have the same education levels as Phoenix/Tucson areas, which have the highest populations of Arizonians.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:56 AM

92,043 posts, read 122,212,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
AZ in not an uneducated state. I mean it's got its' faults for sure and I'm one to point them out, but that isn't one of them. It's a skewed stat because of the high no. of immigrants, illegals, but most of the middle classI knew had Bachelor's & Master's, incl. retirees who'd retired from professions in former states. True, call center jobs and the like are there, too, but there are multitudes of colleges in the Phoenix area--ASU, Grand Canyon, Maricopa comm. colleges, Walden, Univ. of Phoenix's, etc. Tucson has NAU.
I don't think MS and AL have the same education levels as Phoenix/Tucson areas, which have the highest populations of Arizonians.
Interestingly, Tucson, which is where the U of Arizona is located, is ahead of Phoenix in terms of people with. Bachelors degree or higher. Jackson MS and every top 100 metro in NYS is ahead of Phoenix in that regard as well. Cities with the Most College-Educated Residents - Graphic - NYTimes.com

Old 09-10-2012, 07:10 PM

639 posts, read 1,118,048 times
Quote:

Do yourself and spend some time in Upstate NY. You'll see why it's ranked the worst state for business, and it's the reason why cities like Buffalo have been economically stagnant for decades.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:34 PM

27,261 posts, read 28,327,256 times
Quote:

Hahahahahahaha. Thanks for explaining that. I couldn't understand the intentions of posts like that.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:35 PM

92,043 posts, read 122,212,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
Do yourself and spend some time in Upstate NY. You'll see why it's ranked the worst state for business, and it's the reason why cities like Buffalo have been economically stagnant for decades.
There is more to Upstate NY than Buffalo. Interestingly, Upstate NY has a bigger GDP than NC. //www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-new-york.html

Old 09-10-2012, 07:38 PM

425 posts, read 368,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There is more to Upstate NY than Buffalo. Interestingly, Upstate NY has a bigger GDP than NC. //www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-new-york.html

Dude, dont you know, Upstate is either farms or Buffalo..

even though the majority of Upstate is nowhere near Buffalo.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:14 AM

6 posts, read 4,853 times
its so great to hear this lavender. my fiance and i are thinking of moving off long island january 2014 after we get married. we are just so sick of the negativity, pollution and in my opinion overrated and over taxed island that doesnt offer as much as other places to live with lower taxes. yes we have the city but i have lived here for 25 hears and ive been there and done that. yes we have beaches but the beach i live near is smithpoint and in my opinion is trashy and dirty. the businesses are outdated and many are closed down on long island. the streets are full of potholes and the grass is never cut on the side of highways. no one says hey to you and when you try to find help in stores its like your bothering an employee. my fiances mom moved to scottsdale a year ago and loves it. she cannot get over how friendly people are, how clean it is, and the taxes are around 1000 to 2000 a year!! its a healthier environment with tons of healthy foods and people are active. she hikes the mountains twice a week. she says the air quality is so much cleaner compared to when she lands hear in new york. she can tell the difference right away. and she says her hair has never looked better related to no humidity!!! haha! i hear the schools are not the best in az and most send there kids to private. i can live with that with way lower cost of living!!!. how is the nightlife there? i hear happy hour is booming!!! can you recommend any areas with younger adults in 20's to 30's and a good area to raise kids? thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.